MOT TE Armor? TE-AA?

I was just surfing the Bay and came across this:--------

Anybody know the story? I thought MOT was just doing E-11's. If you click the link, he calls it "TE-AA". He's even "throwing in" a free helmet.

I haven't seen this addressed around here so I thought I would bring it up.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My warning alarm is buzzing very loudly right now . . .

I'd be very skeptical of this. Just looking at the comparison photos, you can easily see the loss of detail between the TE2 and what he is selling. For instance, the ab buttons in the third photo are almost completely faded out.

The difference is especially obvious in the forearm side-by-side photo.

Proceed with extreme caution. :unsure:

Probably a recast of a TE2. Same defects on the cap and back and under the teeth.

I really like this sentence at the end of the auction: The Helmet is an free bonus and not part of this auction and should not be considered when leaving feedback.

Thus, if the helmet is a piece of sh!t, you can't say nothing!!!

Definitely looks like a recast and it's Styrene, meaning it won't last you very long if you troop a lot (from my understanding). If it was ABS or MITS I would say it's a decent deal to grab a cheap suit to just go out and fall over in, but that stuff would just crumble if you did that.

Definitely looks like a recast and it's Styrene, meaning it won't last you very long if you troop a lot (from my understanding). If it was ABS or MITS I would say it's a decent deal to grab a cheap suit to just go out and fall over in, but that stuff would just crumble if you did that.

Much depends on the thickness and quality of the pulls for HIPS. I just came back from taking my TE2 (which is HIPS) to China from Seattle, trooping the Great Wall, etc. w/no issues of any kind, and I wasn't too kind to the armor either :)

Much depends on the thickness and quality of the pulls for HIPS. I just came back from taking my TE2 (which is HIPS) to China from Seattle, trooping the Great Wall, etc. w/no issues of any kind, and I wasn't too kind to the armor either :)

IIRC, PT took some pics on THAT kind of Star Wars blanket...

K

I meant that HIPS & ABS would stand up better then Styrene -- I see how it could have been read confusingly.

Who makes armor from Styrene?!?!

That's like what the lids on McDonald's coffee is made of... right?

Yeah... wary, wary, wary!!

Though, if it's for real, it's a sweet deal! ;) haha

Yeah... wary, wary, wary!!

Though, if it's for real, it's a sweet deal! ;) haha

Cheap suits are made out of it, I've seen a few floating around -- it's a really cheap plastic to get and vacuform, you can get really nice detail out of it too -- so it's alright for display suits, just not for trooping.

You might be referring to polystyrene foam, that's what foam coffee cups and cheap ice coolers are made of.

Styrene plastic (not foam) is used for model car / airplane kits and the like. It's softer than ABS and can be manipulated quite a bit.

You might be referring to polystyrene foam, that's what foam coffee cups and cheap ice coolers are made of.

No, I was just being funny. B)

But the part I was talking about were the lids... you know, those thin plastic lids Starbucks and McDonald's uses?

But yeah... I know what it is really. ;)

I emailed him and got this answer:

This suit is based off the Totally Expensive suit that goes for $900. Mine is cheaper because you are paying for the plastic and a little of my time and not the name.

Thanks

- makerofthings!

Cheap suits are made out of it, I've seen a few floating around -- it's a really cheap plastic to get and vacuform, you can get really nice detail out of it too -- so it's alright for display suits, just not for trooping.

My trooping suit is HIPS, there's nothing wrong with it.

IIRC, PT took some pics on THAT kind of Star Wars blanket...

K

No, he didn't, you're mistaken. And PT sold out of Denmark.

It's a shame though that the blanket isn't included. ;)

Am I wrong..... HIPS = Styrene?

There are different types.... gloss and matte.

HIPS is High Impact Styrene... so it's different.

I have a TE2 (the real deal) and it's HIPS and is awesome.

It's a bit like saying coffee is coffee and giving light roast decaf to someone who's ordered dark roast.

Not the same thing. B)

Yeah, it sounds like he has recast his TE(2) suit to sell online. Hence the "Totally Expensive" comparison. I just think that's too bad and so sad. I'm afraid that "you" would get most certainly what you pay for... in every possible way.

And, so everyone knows who doesn't know, TE = Trooper Expert... not "Totally Expensive." <_<

I asked if it was recast from TE or TE2 and this is the response I got:

These molds derive from the aforementioned armor set. They

where created to allow enthusiasts a chance to own a set of ANH

armor without the high price tag.

Thanks

- makerofthings!