Cut the cod?

I couldn't find any recent discussions on this but remember it being a topic a while back. Have many of you cut the cod from the ab plate to aid in bending over and relieving yourself? How have you done it? How well does it work? Is it worth it?

Every one i know has a cut cod piece, i did and even thou ur still screwd if u drop your keys. it does help out.

Tim, I was just thinking the same thing. I'm going to cut mine, even if it only helps a little bit - I can use the extra freedom of movement.

Ā 

Can anyone post a pic of where the cut line should be on the cod? I'm just about to cut mine (like literally, got the x-acto and scissors ready). Thanks!

It works great for the all day troop, when you need to go, you don't need to be fumbling to take off your armor. It is also good to have the two piece under armor rather the full body. You don't even see it, just cut along where the belt covers it.

Ā 

There isn't that much more movement unless you cut the back/butt plate also. This will allow more comfort to sit down.

That's what the soap and water is for, Paul. :lol: The trick is to press up to the stall, so the cod doesn't accidentally drop/flip down, and lean into it.

Ā 

And do take off your gloves off prior, you don't want to be shaking little kids hands when you know where its been last...

• Like 1

I cut mine on my first set of armor and it didn't do much for me (I'm 6'0"). On my current two suits I didn't cut it and haven't had a problem. And, I don't have to worry about a strap snapping making me a "happy trooper".

I made the cut to the cod and the butt piece and it was soooo worth it. If you are going to do it, make sure to put a strap from the cod to the butt piece with a snap, that way it's nice and snug.

Ā 

This is my pet peeve: not only is the cod piece not cut, but it clearly isn't attached to anything and looks like nasty private body part hanging down :duimomlaag:

Ā 

Don't let this happen to you!

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

It really helps if you are going to take a leak! Just undo your belt, flip the cod piece up and your good to go! (Of course this assumes that you have some sort of zipper or two piece black underarmor.) :-)

You know i am amazed at the number of troopers who leave this long tab attached to their fx armour in undercarriage area. This was one of the first things to be cut off and modded on my first suit before i had even finished putting the gear together :o

Ā 

bluehickey said:
This is my pet peeve: not only is the cod piece not cut, but it clearly isn't attached to anything and looks like nasty private body part hanging down :duimomlaag:

Ā 

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Wow... I was just talking about this with a soon-to-be trooper yesterday morning while working on his armor. I told him I didn't know how many had done it, and how many hadn't. After reading this though I'm really thinking about doing it on my TD. I posted the same question over on the MEPD to see what people say there as well.

Ā 

Thanks for the idea / input everyone!

I'm also concidering cutting the small amount of plastic that "cups" :blink: back toward the butt plate. I know there is not as much material on the AP as on the FX but I think it would be more comfortable. Just wondering what you guys think?

I'm also concidering cutting the small amount of plastic that "cups" :blink: back toward the butt plate. I know there is not as much material on the AP as on the FX but I think it would be more comfortable. Just wondering what you guys think?

Ā 

I have FX and I kept mine on so that I could attach a strap to it with a snap, but I definitely trimmed it with scissors, making it thinner and curved so that it fit in between my legs better. It's more comfortable now as well.

• 1 month later...

When i first cut my cod i cut too low and then it was visable from the front, so i got another cod and made the cut higher under where the belt goes. On any kind of accurate armour i would not bother cutting it. Second pic is where i would suggest cutting if you want to.

Ā 

oFhUUq8.jpg

kvCW13h.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I thought long and hard about whether I should cut my COD too but decided against it....... I prefer the rigidness of one piece of armour, it just feels more right to me... and if you gotta take a leak well so be it..... off comes the armour during a break time... nuff said.... lol

I've had mine cut since day one, and love the snugness of it. I have a friend in my garrison who has had his armor over a year and just now decided to cut the cod. I was at an event when he was suiting up for the first time with the newly cut cod piece and as he put on his armor he exclaimed "Oh wow, the cut cod feels so much better!"

Here is a pic from an event for comparison. I am the TK on the right. I have my cod cut and have put a snap and strap in it connecting it to the butt plate nice and tight. For me, it's not just the ability to have the cod flip up for sitting purposes, but to have it bend back towards your body. It helps avoid the "Happy Trooper" took if you know what I mean! ;) I like it snug up against my body, I think it just looks better. The TK on the left does NOT have a cut cod piece.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

My cod....cut it, no way....

Ā 

It may help some . But I will keep my original, the maker gave it to me, stiff! B)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was on a troop and a delightful young lady said.... "that's a very stiff cod piece you have there......", imagine a cut cod, it would be flapping all over the place..... ;)

Ā 

(oops i'm in trouble now....... :lol: )

• 2 years later...

Curious....when sitting, is it just physically hard to sit in armor, or does sitting shift the armor to where it is uncomfortable? What's the chance of breaking the unmodified armor when sitting (ABS version)?