Whos this guy?

Hello.

The other day I stumbled upon a pic of this fellow in some strange looking armor.

Anyone knows what it is? It was among original SW pics, but could of course just be some fan.

(He does look a little like Eric Forman from That 70s show. ;))

post-4415-1254821102_thumb.jpg

Ah, him again.

This guy has a website somewhere claiming he was an extra on the set of ANH and that he was in the Death Star hangar scenes with the Falcon.

People are debating whether he's fake or not, since the armor in that pic has all kinds of wrongs on it (knee ammo belts for shoulder straps, biceps for forearm pieces, ammo knee belt on the shin instead of the thigh, strange ear pieces, forehead trim doesn't reach the traps...).

It also seems that some kind of cape/glove was retouched out of said picture (Vader perhaps?).

Has there ever been any official or otherwise revealing clarification on this?

Edit:

Found the page, there he is:

http://www.horstedkeynes.com/extras.html

Thanks Dennis! That helmet does look kinda right except the brow.

"If you look carefully at the original release of the film you will see me in some of the shots near the Millennium Falcon ramp and the Death Star docking bay. Look carefully and you may just see that one of the Stormtroopers appears to have only one leg! It fell off and nobody bothered with a retake"

"PLEASE NOTE: I am dreadfully sorry but because of the increasing number of requests I am at present not able to send autographs by mail."

LOL

An old first pull FX set would look far closer to what may have been "on set" in '76, then this .........stuff. It's all from top down home made....and I seen better one's! Yup, this guy's full of it. (but I do give him point's for having the gut's to post this)

Most of that armour is original ANH, including the helmet.

Why it's a ssembled the way it is, is anyone's guess but there is no doubt in my mind that it's genuine armour. The biceps and forearms are junk, I can't identify them, but the shapes of the rest of the kit is 100% original ANH. It's possible this is a lesser suit and could have been used in the background I don't know, I never really looked into it.

Most of that armour is original ANH, including the helmet.

Why it's a ssembled the way it is, is anyone's guess but there is no doubt in my mind that it's genuine armour. The biceps and forearms are junk, I can't identify them, but the shapes of the rest of the kit is 100% original ANH. It's possible this is a lesser suit and could have been used in the background I don't know, I never really looked into it.

Thanks for the info. What a weird suit.

If he was in the film Im sure wed heard about it, but how the hell did he get hold on the suit, and put it on like that?

I don't doubt the guys story, its believable. As far as the improperly assembled armor, how many times have we seen stromtroopers incorrectly dressed in the films. Being an extra in the background, it stands to reason that his costume was thrown together to look right from a distance and intermingled with other troopers.

Additionally he states that his costume was said to be used in tunisia so the incorrect shoulder straps and lack of drop boxes only support his story.

I don't doubt the guys story, its believable. As far as the improperly assembled armor, how many times have we seen stromtroopers incorrectly dressed in the films. Being an extra in the background, it stands to reason that his costume was thrown together to look right from a distance and intermingled with other troopers.

Additionally he states that his costume was said to be used in tunisia so the incorrect shoulder straps and lack of drop boxes only support his story.

Well hopefully johnnymac checking the original release can conform his story.

I read a theory that the "white eyebrow" trooper entering Tantive in ANH could have the same glossy eyebrow as this one.

No Im pretty sure there isnt.

The guy says on his site that he can be seen on this pic from starwarshelmet.com.

He says: "A close look at the detail (every costume was slightly different) appears to show that I am in the second row on the extreme right hand side of the frame."

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I don't see how that pic supports anything. You can't see the shoulder straps or the drop boxes. Plus didn't he say his armor was missing a leg in that scene? Even tho the left left isn't shown, it looks like there is a knee plate slightly visible which would mean he wasn't missing leg armor in that shot.

It was stated before that it looks like Vader was cropped out of the photo, and by a brown colored something. Highlight the photo of that guy in the armor, and it look like his head is edited into the photo, with a brownish hue stopping at a horizontal line at his neck. So maybe that armor was never even worn by that guy. Also I think his claimed story was that the photo was taken outside the studio right after the scene was finished. This would mean the trooper in the screenshot should have had the thigh belt on the calf piece instead of the thigh, which it doesn't... Also that sure doesn't look like "outside" to me.

Guys, I have gone through the tape over and over and the quality is so bad that there could be a naked princess leia standing in the background and you'd never see her. Has anyone looked at the old school DVD? (The one that hasn't been remade). It might be worth a look. I watched it a few months ago and they even left in the cardboard cut out soldiers in the closing scene.... I have it somewhere. I'll have a look if no one has it handy.

hello everyone my name is tyler aka "topgun" i know that everyone says my birthday is april of 1991, but I to was in EP. 4 i was the the sandtrooper walking thru the desert in the "look sir droids" scene wearing nothing but my whitey tightys and helmet. its hard to see me but im back in the dunes, if ya put your nose aganst your tv screen youll bearly see me. wink wink. :D:D:lol::lol:

-------------

I always get a chuckle over the ridiculously short guy they threw up front!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I don't see how that pic supports anything. You can't see the shoulder straps or the drop boxes. Plus didn't he say his armor was missing a leg in that scene? Even tho the left left isn't shown, it looks like there is a knee plate slightly visible which would mean he wasn't missing leg armor in that shot.

I totally agree.

Oh good god lad's! Can you say "Cut and Past"!!!!!!!!!!

I cant see that pic being fake. (Its directly from starwarshelmets.com, and I cant see how the guy would have got it up there, if it was.) On the other hand his claims arent proved by it either.

It was stated before that it looks like Vader was cropped out of the photo, and by a brown colored something. Highlight the photo of that guy in the armor, and it look like his head is edited into the photo, with a brownish hue stopping at a horizontal line at his neck. So maybe that armor was never even worn by that guy. Also I think his claimed story was that the photo was taken outside the studio right after the scene was finished. This would mean the trooper in the screenshot should have had the thigh belt on the calf piece instead of the thigh, which it doesn't... Also that sure doesn't look like "outside" to me.

Ive read that the guy said it wasnt Vader and none of the main characters, but someone in a black armor/clothes. Guard?

Ill see if I can find a bigger pic and look for that line.

Couldnt it be outside the set, yet indoors?

Guys, I have gone through the tape over and over and the quality is so bad that there could be a naked princess leia standing in the background and you'd never see her. Has anyone looked at the old school DVD? (The one that hasn't been remade). It might be worth a look. I watched it a few months ago and they even left in the cardboard cut out soldiers in the closing scene.... I have it somewhere. I'll have a look if no one has it handy.

Wait! Theres a naked Leia in that original scene??? I better get that disc, LOL. Im sorry but I dont have it.

What cardboard scene are you talking about?

NAZGÛL said:
What cardboard scene are you talking about?

Original theatrical version: At the very end when Han and Luke first step into the awards ceremony, there's a long shot behind the pair and the first few rows of soldiers on each side of the hall (closest to the camera) are cardboard paintings. Lucas didn't have enough uniforms for everyone.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed