Original (ANH) ESB Helmet on display at "Out of this World Exhibit"

Check out this picture showing two of the many original props show cased for public during the "Out of this World Exhibit" from the Film and Television museum exhibit in California.

3969711787_d2faed1220.jpg

Don't know if any of you guys have been there and seen it, but I found it quite interesting. I guess its because they rarely show case trooper helmets from ANH or ESB.

The rest of the pictures can be found under the 501st forums, under Mission Reports.

I have these photos of the same helmet that were posted on The Prop Den by Darth Karo (Thanks!) This has to one of my favourite found helmets. The surface texture is just amazing!

------------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Does the surface texture reflect the actual surface or is it just how the paint has aged over the years?

Thats the texture of the HDPE material after its been heated and vac-formed - not aging.

Nazgul - this IS an ANH helmet, its just been reused for ESB. I dont even think they were stripped and repainted, just maybe touched up

Cheers

Jez

Thanks Jez! Ive read somewhere that the paint was removed and the helmets even sandblasted before the helmets were repainted for the film. Have you heard of that?

When you compaire this one to the other originals you have seen, is this different in the paint "quality"?

Great update on the site btw!

I dont even think they were stripped and repainted, just maybe touched up

I'm inclined to agree with you there Jez.

I used to wonder why they would go to the trouble of repainting the helmet and then leave all the glue everywhere if they wanted a nice new looking helmet. We can even see the glue on the helmet on screen in ESB so we know the troopers were rough. I'm still not sure why they even used decals and painted the frowns black? They could have just them as they were for what it's worth.

Thanks Jez! Ive read somewhere that the paint was removed and the helmets even sandblasted before the helmets were repainted for the film. Have you heard of that?

When you compaire this one to the other originals you have seen, is this different in the paint "quality"?

Great update on the site btw!

I think I may have originally said that :blush: as was told by someone linked to the production (not Mollo) - however having handled a couple of the originals in person I just cant see it myself.

Like Paul said there';s still glue knocking around there so I recon they just worked on the detailing and used the best 7 for most of the shots. Then when Gary Kurtz saw the remaining few that they needed for the Carbon Freeze scene he wasnt happy so got them to either make new ones or improve the few remaining ones.

Cheers

Jez

quote name='johnnymac' date='Oct 4 2009, 07:42 PM' post='107452']

Speaking of ESB, I watched it again last night and noticed that this trooper doesn't even have his trapezoid painted.... it's plain white!

IMAG0134.jpg

I think the ESB were repainted after all. I havent heard of a white ANH trapezoid anyway, so if that ESB has it, it must have been painted white.

If we could see whats under the decals, we would know more, and actually we can, sort of. I think we should see some of the ANH paint were the decals are peeling:

mollostormESB1.jpg

molloesb8.jpg

And looking at the right trapezoid, the ESB decal is smaller than the molded area. Yet the area above the decal is white:

mollostormESB2.jpg

and

esbHDPE04.jpg

Below are examples of the ANH trapezoids, the gray area clearly being bigger.

DaveMANH06.jpg

ANHstunt_2005.jpg

origBrside1.jpg

If the ESB helmets were not repainted, we should be able to see glimpses of the original handpainted trapezoids, yet we dont.

I think the paint had chipped bad on the ANH helmets and therefore they were repainted. The cost or time to paint them shouldnt have been any problem.

The glue and drips could be due to repaints or repairs during the shooting of the scenes.

PICS FROM STARWARSHELMETS.COM

Cheers.

Good point but I think if they went to the trouble of painting over the grey frown then they probably painted over the grey traps wth white before adding the decals. They may have had to do this if the decals were too small to cover the original ANH details. Just a thought :)