ATA ridges for arms and legs

naatsirhc

Paul and /or Terrell,

I need some advice about this ridge area. For EIB does the ridge area have to meet the strip covering the butt joints or can there be some gapping on either side. I am getting ready to glue my armor and want to do it right. I can cut the thighs down to were there is a 1 inch ridge in front but not in back or the armor won't fit my leg, right now I have a 2 inch space front and back on thighs and this feels like a good fit. The forearms, biceps and calves in front have a 1inch wide space. I have looked at a lot of picks and I see a lot of variation of spacing on the armors that have this ridge. My legs are not huge but a little muscular. I am 6' and a bit over 220, I realize a lot of the guys out there are a bit on the skinny side so the can do more trimming. This is much needed advice and I will be most grateful if you can help me solve this dilema, so I can get everything gued up and ready for paint.

Thank you,

Christaan

PS- picks are in my build thread!

Generally you want to make the fronts accurate and cheat in the back. On my thighs, I didn't trim the backs down to the mold line and put a correct sized strip over the seam. I'll try and dig up a picture of it so you can see.

Generally you want to make the fronts accurate and cheat in the back. On my thighs, I didn't trim the backs down to the mold line and put a correct sized strip over the seam. I'll try and dig up a picture of it so you can see.

Thank you so much terrell, any pics would be awsome. I hope to start gluing things up tommorrow!

Thanks again, and thanks for the beautiful armor! :D

Christaan

Thanks again for the help Eric. These pics are a big help!

Hey, Terrell have you found any of your old pics yet? I am prepping today to start the assembly process.

Thanks again guys, B)

Christaan

Thanks again for the help Eric. These pics are a big help!

Hey, Terrell have you found any of your old pics yet? I am prepping today to start the assembly process.

Thanks again guys, B)

Christaan

No I didn't. I'll take some pics of my thighs tonight.

Thanks Terrell, that will be most helpful!

Here is a pic of the left forearm trimmed down more, I would like to know if this spacing is ok. I am affraid to trim all the way to 5/8. This pic has the 5/8 strip clamped to forearm, I have seen finished armor with similar spacing. Please let me know what you think is best.

ata49.jpg

Terrell,

Thank you for the pic, this is most helpful. So, the strip goes the whole length on the back. I will trim the fronts to the strip width. Is it ok for a 1/16 inch and or some slight variation?

Thanks

Christaan

• 1 month later...