Armor and air line travel?

I know this topic has been on the main legion forum but I could not locate any threads via the search option there.

I found a awsome gear case seen here,

----------

Alas it's way too big :( But it would nicely fit my armor. It seems you are restricted to 62 linear inces. Math was not a subject I could do in school. Does anyone know what size of retangular box would work? I think limitations have gotten a lot smaller in the last few years.

I flew with a bass guitar once in 2001 that is 47x15x4 inches and was not charged anything. To fly with my rifle for a living history event my case being 53x13x3.75 inches I believe is too big now? If you ask the air lines rep they can't do the match anymore then I can :unsure:

If you go over the limit it's a 50 dollar charge. While the gun case it longer then the bass case it's front end tapper's down a bit so adding up the inches as I wrote above won't give you the total linear inches.

Who's flown recently and what did you fly your armor in? I aim to get something that will carry my WWI kit and my Stormtrooper kit so I only have to buy one gear case for air travel.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 3 weeks later...

This is the container I use.

--------

I switched to it when I had to take the armor on a plane to Las Vegas for the Burger KIng/ ROTS premier. This is the largest container that most airlines will accept without an extra charge. This can be locked as well. I have a special trick for that so you can use the small TSA locks for the airline and still not have to worry about it "accidentaly" opening.

I can get the bucket in it but I use an altered motorcycle helmet bag for that. That way I can carry the bucket as a carry item. I use a folding luggage carrier to roll the tote on. If you are not doing any flying with the armor than the tote with wheels would probably be the best one.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Here is the thread from the 501st boards:

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Since I am new to the FISD and not yet in the 501st, I brought this topic back into circulation. Can anyone recommend a good travel luggage/container to transport TK armor for airline travel? I have been hand-carrying my helmet so I'm looking for luggage that is acceptable size by TSA standards etc.

The posts here are a little older, so I wanted to see if anyone has anything recent.

Lemme know TK's =)

Michelle

• 1 year later...
TK-1161 Curt said:
This is the container I use.

-------

I switched to it when I had to take the armor on a plane to Las Vegas for the Burger KIng/ ROTS premier. This is the largest container that most airlines will accept without an extra charge. This can be locked as well. I have a special trick for that so you can use the small TSA locks for the airline and still not have to worry about it "accidentaly" opening.

I can get the bucket in it but I use an altered motorcycle helmet bag for that. That way I can carry the bucket as a carry item. I use a folding luggage carrier to roll the tote on. If you are not doing any flying with the armor than the tote with wheels would probably be the best one.

Ok, so I just picked this tub up today, and am wondering how to get everything in here. I've got the nesting parts in (forearms -> biceps -> shins -> thighs), but it still seems to stack too high with the chest and back. Does the bucket, blaster and boots actually fit in here? Someone mentioned a video on the main 501st board showing how to do this, but the link doesn't work.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I ended up buying a hard shell suit case. It fits everything but my bucket and for that I have a helmet bag. Used it for two trips so far w/o issue, and I also use it for other trips as well.

tiepilot1138 said:
Ok, so I just picked this tub up today, and am wondering how to get everything in here. I've got the nesting parts in (forearms -> biceps -> shins -> thighs), but it still seems to stack too high with the chest and back. Does the bucket, blaster and boots actually fit in here? Someone mentioned a video on the main 501st board showing how to do this, but the link doesn't work.

Try this out. Of course, not sure how well this would work without an FX helmet as I doubt you can fit as much stuff into the helmet for packing it but its a good place to start.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Brilliant! Who'd have thought to use the FX bucket as luggage? I have an MRCE with electrics,so I don't think I'll be doing that part. I'll give it a shot as soon as I get home.

Brilliant! Who'd have thought to use the FX bucket as luggage? I have an MRCE with electrics,so I don't think I'll be doing that part. I'll give it a shot as soon as I get home.

Well I think you can still fit some of the smaller parts in there like hand plates, gloves, etc so it'll still help.

• 1 month later...

In relation to this thread of airline traveling, how do you pack your E-11's when flying - in the same bin/luggage as your armor? Do you declare it as a prop weapon at check-in? Any special way(s) to pack it like leaving it in the holster or wrapped in bubble wrap? Lol, ok this may sound way too cautious now ;)

I'll be flying down for ComicCon and then back east for DragonCon, and I really don't want to keep mailing the blaster back-and-forth.

Thanks TK's!

Michelle

TKEastbay

If I had advice, insure it on the flight.

United THRASED my case, and it was a good one. Broke off the wheels, busted in the top and cut off the lock holes. There was no lock on the thing... Just to be aholes they cut a notch in it. It even said fragile. Might as well have put "kick the crap out of it". Jerks. I hate United. I am not sure that any one is better though stateside. Japanese Airline? Different story.

I travel with Vader, but still... Insure it. Hold those yo yos accountable.

No matter how you pack it... customs or security will mess it up. Just be ready. E-11 on the flight? Yep.. gonna get hassled every time they can. I had to show my Lightsaber. :rolleyes:

Nathan, always fly ANA, they have great meals (ask for the Japanese style meal, the western is rather generic.)

Packing is one of those things I'd really like to know more about. I was told by my garrison members that it's a complicated matter.

Thanks for the link James! I'll save it for future reference.

Common sense tells me to notify the people at the check in counter and security station of everything. Tell them it's a costume and prop replicas.

I may be flying with armor later this year, so I'm looking into carrying case options and how best to deal with security. Helmet is a different story, that's going to be my carry-on. It's not leaving my sight.

• 4 weeks later...

A possible option is a hard shell golf travel case. You see those taking a beating but still come out ok. Granted you might be paying for the convenience. They are definitely long enough, you could bubble wrap or foam fit the pieces too. This is if you plan to do alot of flying with your armor to make it worth it or just another project. Here are some possibilities:

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed