E-11 paint colours help

gregnz

Hi

Just working on my first E-11 blaster and have got to the paint stage. Using satin black over gold on sight but unsure if flat black is right for the main blaster. What do you guy use to get movie prop finish.

thanks

Greg

Hi Greg,

I'd go Stukatrooper's way, he achieved perfect result with Hammerite gloss black smooth, than knocked off the gloss with fine steel wool, then weathered it.

Look here, there's also some explanation of the process and colors used: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stukatrooper/...57604574695630/

Gloss paint is more resistant than flat, so less prone to chip.

ciao :)

Pablo

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All,

I use the Walmart brand of paint & primer. I use the gray primer & flat black paint. Both of these are under $1 a can. I also use a brite silver or crome paint. This color you'll have to find a brand that works. Walmart used to carry silver & it was great but has since discountiued it. I've painted several guns & other props with this paint. I've never had a problem with the paint comming off. After preping the gun. I spray several coats of primer. About 4-5. You'll want to do about 6-7 coats of the silver. make sure you let each coat dry completely. Now use the flat black about 4-5 coats. After the gun is dry I take 300 grit sandpaper & sand the whole gun lightly. Hitting the edges & places I want the silver to show through more heavy. This will sand away any imperfection & give the gun a nice smooth finish with just the right amount of "weathering".

Hope this helps. If you wanna see my guns, & other props I've made you can check out the tie pilot forums. Look under BFG's Im under the name of Chunk there.

I used Krylon fusion early on in my build but did not like it. I ended up using Rustoleum auto primer and Rustoleum multi surface satin black. I did both wet and dry sanding with 200, 400 grit on problem areas between coats. It has a shine to it, but not glossy. I was happy with the end result. You can check my build thread for reference. Hope this helps, when it comes to paint there are many ways to achieve the same outcome.