Hearing inside your lid

What....I can't hear you my fans are too loud (electric or adulating)! Mrs. Trooperdad says I don't hear so well when my bucket's off!

Actually, I attended Wondercon in February and it was so crowded it was difficult to move down the aisles. I have 1 CPU fan run off of a 9 volt battery and I don't have any problems hearing. I think sometimes the helmet actually acts as an amplifier and I can hear conversations quite well (one plus of an FX helmet). My main concern with kids is not running into them when they get closer than 3 feet, then I can't see them at all.

I have one of those spyear things (it's a bit like a hearing aid) installed, the mic is glued in the left ear cap with a small hole drilled in one of the stripes so it can pick up the sound and I use a pair of in-ear headphones with it.

I would post some pics but all my gear is packed for a troop in a few hours, when I get back I can post pics if you want.

I did the same thing.

08INCUl.jpg

3kZEEGB.jpg

Qm7u9Tp.jpg

x4zJK8S.jpg

It's not bad, but has it's faults. You can hear all the squeeks of your helmet. I was considering wearing a spy ear seperate from my helmet because I don't like having to hook up headphones to my bucket. I also considered a set of large built in that slide on with my bucket, but that could get hot in there.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

I have a listening device in my bucket (Listen up is what I think it is)

I have it installed in the front, with an attachment in one of the nose vents.

Xxwgv9Z.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

How's the sound quality with that "listen up" mic? It's a bit more expensive than the spy ears but if the sounds that much better, it would be worth it.

When I looked at the box it said listen up, but it sure looks like it's a "Gossip Gizmo". I got it at Radio Shack and I don't see that they have a "Listen Up" listed on their site. I looked up the Listen Up unit on Google and it's not what I have (at least the brand that I looked at).

So I guess I'm confused, but long story short. I don't think I have a true "Listen up" and can't answer the quality question.

Darth_Nickel said:

I have a listening device in my bucket (Listen up is what I think it is)

I have it installed in the front, with an attachment in one of the nose 

Nice work. Headliner is awesome. It's what I make my neckseals out of.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 5 years later...

Old thread. I hope no one minds I resurrect. I am looking for any additional ideas and advice for being able to hear with bucket on. I have such a hard time hearing with fans running in my helmet during troops and it's very annoying.

I had tried SpyEar in my bucket, but it amplified the noise of my armor more than anything else.

Old thread. I hope no one minds I resurrect. I am looking for any additional ideas and advice for being able to hear with bucket on. I have such a hard time hearing with fans running in my helmet during troops and it's very annoying.

Not trying to take the P but.....

Have you tried quieter fans?

Sometimes these things get overlooked for the more complicated.

Oh I've thought of it but haven't the slightest idea of where to start looking or how to create my own. I currently use 2 squirrel fans from tk-4261.

There's your problem. Squirrel fans are always going to be louder than normal fans. You'll have to decide between being able to hear people or keeping the air on your face.

I personally only use fans to cut down on fogging. I use two small cpu fans directly in front of my mouth blowing outward. They are pretty quiet so I don't have any of the same problems.

I had a squirrel fan in there once and it was so loud I couldn't hear anyone no matter how close I got.