Helmet & Ab paint detail reference guide

Billhag

On 9/7/2009 at 6:02 AM, Billhag said:

I've updated the little reference guide that I put together a while back to

include Testors paint as well as Humbrol.

I've also included the 'revised' view of ab button colours so that you can

"pays yer money and takes choice" http://forum.whitearmor.net/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

attachicon.gifArmour_a...Revised_.pdf

i have a question.  I recently painted and glued my ab buttons onto my ab plate but i didnt not get french blue and admiral grey.  I simply picked out the colors i though matched.  After looking at pictures ive taken, I feel i have made a mistake and want to try to strip the ab buttons from the ab plate and re paint them with the right colors.  I used zap a gap to glue them on so im worried... Does anybody have any advice they can give me? This is my first reply on whitearmor and this is my first build.  please go easy on me guys haha Thank you in advance

Hope this helps

On 3/8/2016 at 3:19 AM, kman said:

^^ As I understand it, that's the old version of the chart, and Midnight Blue is now deprecated. This is the newer version of the chart:

how close do you think mine are ?? 

im considering sanding the buttons down and repainting with the correct colors but im not sure 

On 3/8/2016 at 8:40 AM, nick007 said:

how close do you think mine are ?? 

im considering sanding the buttons down and repainting with the correct colors but im not sure

One of those hands is way prettier than the other, LOL

It's hard to tell from photos. What colors did you use? I doubt you would need to sand anything down, though. Probably fine to just paint right over, if you want to change colors. Else rub the spots clear with rubbing alcohol. No need to remove plastic. :)

One of those hands is way prettier than the other, LOL

It's hard to tell from photos. What colors did you use? I doubt you would need to sand anything down, though. Probably fine to just paint right over, if you want to change colors. Else rub the spots clear with rubbing alcohol. No need to remove plastic. :)

LOL that made me laugh. thank you for the info  :)  i think i just might paint right over. Another question! what do you think about my forearms?? if you see the inner part  of the forearm doesnt meet up with the outer part but the backs of both pieces do? im not sure if i can fix this or not... i cant seem to think of how it can be fixed :/ 

LOL that made me laugh. thank you for the info  :)  i think i just might paint right over. Another question! what do you think about my forearms?? if you see the inner part  of the forearm doesnt meet up with the outer part but the backs of both pieces do? im not sure if i can fix this or not... i cant seem to think of how it can be fixed :/

Hmm. Honestly, I don't think that piece was built correctly. It might be good enough to pass basic acceptance, however. But it looks to me like too much was trimmed off the interior half. The front-facing part should only have had a few mm of plastic trimmed, just to fit the return edge under the cover strip correctly. The rest of the trimming should be on the back side, where it's less visible, and cut evenly from both halves to help avoid this unevenness.

I'd check with your local garrison to see what they say. Could be they're ok with it. Otherwise, you may need to do some work to rebuild some of the cut material, or even replace it.

Hmm. Honestly, I don't think that piece was built correctly. It might be good enough to pass basic acceptance, however. But it looks to me like too much was trimmed off the interior half. The front-facing part should only have had a few mm of plastic trimmed, just to fit the return edge under the cover strip correctly. The rest of the trimming should be on the back side, where it's less visible, and cut evenly from both halves to help avoid this unevenness.

I'd check with your local garrison to see what they say. Could be they're ok with it. Otherwise, you may need to do some work to rebuild some of the cut material, or even replace it.

I'm going to find out. It could be worse but it still doesnt really look right.  I'm not sure how i would try to rebuild some of the cut material without it being noticeable 

im going to check and see what they tell me 

• 5 weeks later...

Looking at the old colors....

Does Testors 1747 still work, or does it have to be the semi-gloss 1597?

1138 is pretty common to find, so I'm good there.

Anyone know of any retail stores that sell the French Blue 2715?

For white, do you recommend the Gloss, or Semi-gloss white?

• 1 month later...

This should be removed. I just referenced this and used midnight blue for my ab buttons. My GML says to use French blue. And midnight blue is too dark and will not be accepted.

Edited by Razgriz

This should be removed. I just referenced this and used midnight blue for my ab buttons. My GML says to use French blue. And midnight blue is too dark and will not be accepted.

Only the OP can update the original post, or perhaps a mod.

That said, the change to French Blue is literally discussed on the second page of the thread, so if you had read a little farther, you'd have seen the discussion. There is an updated chart on page 3 (post 48), and post 74 on page 4 has the most current chart.

I guess you've had a learning experience: Before depending on 7 year old threads, at the very least, read the most recent couple of pages of comments to make sure nothing has changed in the intervening years. Advice applicable to all threads, not just this one. ;)

On the bright side, a minute with a cotton ball and acetone/paint thinner and the wrong color should come right off, so it could be a lot worse!

• Like 2

Only the OP can update the original post, or perhaps a mod.

That said, the change to French Blue is literally discussed on the second page of the thread, so if you had read a little farther, you'd have seen the discussion. There is an updated chart on page 3 (post 48), and post 74 on page 4 has the most current chart.

I guess you've had a learning experience: Before depending on 7 year old threads, at the very least, read the most recent couple of pages of comments to make sure nothing has changed in the intervening years. Advice applicable to all threads, not just this one. ;)

On the bright side, a minute with a cotton ball and acetone/paint thinner and the wrong color should come right off, so it could be a lot worse!

Problem already fixed. A learning experience indeed. :) pending my Facebook post in that ANOVOS group.

Thank you sir!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, buccaneer said:

Yay.  need this reference for my anh tk armor renovation. thank you very much

FYI the Mediterranean blue is no longer used

31201091045_f616e14d58_c.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, buccaneer said:

So back to French Blue again now?

Has been French Blue for some years now