Helmet & Ab paint detail reference guide

Billhag

I've updated the little reference guide that I put together a while back to

include Testors paint as well as Humbrol.

I've also included the 'revised' view of ab button colours so that you can

"pays yer money and takes choice" http://forum.whitearmor.net/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

Armour_and_Helmet_Humbrol_Paint_Colours__Revised_.pdf

9MJVMxD.jpg

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Billy would you be able to do a Jedi ab plate one?

Cheers

Joe

I was wondering the same thing, as far as RoTJ ab button colors.

We're half-way there since we know that six of the buttons are black. The remaining three buttons are dark blue and, barring anyone stepping in and clarifying the color used, I'm assuming that our color is the Humbrol Midnight Blue or the Testors Blue Angel Blue.

I would appreciate clarification of this, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I have the colors...I just need to know how big to make the buttons...On the RT Ab, There is no "plate", it's molded on the Ab. The face of the buttons is 1/2". Should I paint the entire 1/2"? I'll post a pic if needed.

• 1 month later...

I found this on the Humbrol web site. It is a conversion chart of Humbrol paint to other brands of paint.

------------

Forgive me if this posted elseware.

Cheers.

Andy

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...

If I may ask, what is the difference between the dark and light blue ab buttons? Additionally I was planning on getting a set of ab decals from TK4510 here:

----------

Does anyone have experience with these, and do they generally match up with the testors grey for the ears? I am building AP and I am hoping to only have to paint the ears and face grill. I am just really scared to paint perfect circles, haha.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

If I may ask, what is the difference between the dark and light blue ab buttons?

Not sure what you mean, other than that the light blue is a "French blue" - think the color of painter's tape, and the dark blue is a "Navy blue" - think the color of the U.S. Navy's 'Blue Angels' aerial demonstration team. Both are acceptable, although the french blue is considered slightly more screen-accurate.

As far as painting perfect circles, I'd suggest cutting out a template and overlaying it on top of the area to be painted - that way, each button will be as perfect as the template itself.

Yes the old school thoughts were that the blue was a dark colour, hense the use of #15. However it has become increasingly obvious that the colours used were of a lighter nature hense the more popular use nowadays of the #14.

As for painting tips, when i paint my buttons i trace the raised outline with a pencil and just fill with paint as neatly as i can, no need for fancy templates or masking tape. Just paint away, if it turns out a little messy all the better :D

• 10 months later...

What's the correct color of the hovi mic tips? Black? Gloss, satin or flat? Gun metal black?

Thanks!

I have used both Semi gloss and Satin with good results.

I feel Satin looks a bit better though.

To be more specific:

1. Are they the same color and Finnish for different movies? And the hero and hero promo? Maybe someone that has seen the helmets on display in real life could chime in. Picture can be so deceiving. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking that maybe the info for the model master should be changed. The french blue seems to dry darker than in the bottle. Here's the samples from the model master site, what do ya'll think?

-----------

French Blue # 4659 / Clear Blue # 4658 / Cobalt Blue # 4612

Here is what my french blue turns out to be. Maybe it will be lighter in the sun, but here it is in my room with plenty of light.

Z4Mc3w4.png

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 5 months later...

I have a quick ab button question ... I'm just about done building my armor. I had bought ab buttons while waiting on my armor and was told they were accurately colored.

A few of the guys from my local garrison were over this weekend to help with the build and questiond the color of my buttons...more specifically the blue ones. My buttons are the midnight blue mentioned at the beginning of this thread, but anymore you typically see the french blue. Are both blues accepted by 501st standards???

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I did a quickie color comparison of the paints, and the Testor's French Blue is significantly darker than the Humbrol French Blue. Here's my test:

colors.jpg

The numbers are the Humbrol colors. TB is a sample Trooper Bay decal, and TMC is a kit supplied T/MC decal.