Kev's TK Build[*CAP]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you pick it up? I stopped by a Menards and they didn't have a single pipe that fit the end caps. :(

Ā 

Lowes, Home Depot, Ace. You may have to sand the end a little as any burr may keep the cap from going on. 2 inch PVC is what you need.

• 4 months later...

You've been helping out others so much recently, it's good to see you dusting this off and putting it to bed so to speak. Your customers can slide a week :)

Thanks... But I need to take care of what I promised first then I can work on my TK build again. Or a little bit of work here and there in between the wait time of something curing or heating up.

• 2 months later...

So I finally have some time to show pictures of some progress I have made. The pics were taken from a new camera that is not very good so I am sorry for some of the bad pics...

Ā 

Well I thought I would paint the inside of the Aerators Silver/Chrome. If I understand the background of the aerators... they claim to be old sink parts and most likely they were chrome plated then painted black on the outside. Some of the screen shot from ANH I have seen look to be silver/chrome on the inside.

Ā 

So this is how I painted mine...

Aerators1.jpg

Aerators2.jpg

Ā 

The thread was too long so I trimmed some off.

Aerators3.jpg

Ā 

After the silver was completely dry I taped off the edges and inside with Blue Painters Tape.

Aerators4.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I painted the outside with Gloss Black.

Aerators5.jpg

Ā 

It is very important to spray a tack coat first.

Aerators6.jpg

Ā 

Then add more layers...

Aerators7.jpg

Ā 

Here is a pic with the flash on..

Aerators8.jpg

Ā 

Here is a pic with the flash off...

Aerators9.jpg

Ā 

And now with the screen in place. I love the worn look on the edges.

Aerators10.jpg

So I painted the black areas around the ear-caps and let them dry a long time.

Helmfinalpaint1.jpg

Ā 

I painted the gray areas with the Smoke Gray. It matches the awesome decals from TK4510 pretty good. Spray some into a cup and let it sit for a bit and thicken up a little bit before applying it with a brush.

Helmfinalpaint2.jpg

Ā 

I penciled in the areas first and place some blue painters tape under the area I will paint just to make sure I do not drip gray paint onto the white.

Helmfinalpaint3.jpg

Ā 

Here is the painted ear-cap.

Helmfinalpaint4.jpg

Ā 

Here is the frown ANH stunt style.

Helmfinalpaint5.jpg

Ā 

And the other side...

Helmfinalpaint6.jpg

Ā 

I just need to install the flat green eye lens. And maybe add the chin strap.

Helmfinalpaint7.jpg

Edited by kwdesigns

I used the French Blue and the Krylon Smoke Gray to hand paint the buttons on my Ab Plate.

AbButtons1.jpg

AbButtons2.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I'm getting much closer... Just a few more things to do until it is done!

Kevin W.

Well... my armor is painted white and it's just waiting for me to have more time to continue...

AllPainted.jpg

Ā 

Kevin W.

Ā 

Looking good trooper :)

One question.

Do you think your spray paint job are strong enough for a life time trooping, whit out any paint will crack off here and there.

IĀ“m asking because here in Denmark, all the spray paint i have been trying out, can easy be scratch off again :unsure:

I have try:

Belton, Motip, montana, quick, nothing works.

I have hand brush paint a few helmets whit humbrol, and model master, they are solid cool, but i would not like to hand brush a full suit vs. do a quick spray paint job.

We donĀ“t have Krylon, and Rustoleum here.

Cheers :D

Looking good trooper :)

One question.

Do you think your spray paint job are strong enough for a life time trooping, whit out any paint will crack off here and there.

IĀ“m asking because here in Denmark, all the spray paint i have been trying out, can easy be scratch off again :unsure:

I have try:

Belton, Motip, montana, quick, nothing works.

I have hand brush paint a few helmets whit humbrol, and model master, they are solid cool, but i would not like to hand brush a full suit vs. do a quick spray paint job.

We donĀ“t have Krylon, and Rustoleum here.

Cheers :D

Ā 

I don't expect it to stay perfectly shinny or new for a lift time. I will polish the paint with Novis to help buff it out. But I know in time it will have that worn trooper look that we see in the movies and I'm ok with that.

Ā 

One of the key things when it comes to painting is the "prep-work before the paint" Make sure all the parts are clean and get a good primer coat. It is best to lightly sand all the parts before using primer to help it get a bite and better bond to the parts. Then when the primer is fully dry sand again before painting. Make sure parts are clean and start with a tack coat and layer the paint on evenly. After the paint is fully dry, I let my parts bake in the sun for a few minutes then bring them inside to cool down. Then repeat that again a few times.

Ā 

The paint I am using is not a very flexible paint. So if parts get bent a lot I'm sure some cracking might happen.

Ā 

I am sorry I am not familiar wit these brands of paint (Belton, Motip, montana, quick)

Ā 

Ā 

I only hand paint the small detail areas.

Ā 

I hope this helps.

Kevin W.

Thanks for your good and detail reply, very useful.

If i ever decide to paint a mat hips suit, i guess i will use your method.

Ā 

I have done a few TE2 sandtrooper suits over time, and i do not paint them.

I let them stay hips, add the weathering on the suit, and then the hair spray gloss it all up good.

Ā 

Here a few pictures, of my old TE2 sandy, whit no paint job on.

I think it works out great whit out the paint job, and looks great, and i then have no fear of paint will crack off over a life time trooping either.

Here you go:

P8196944_4.jpg

Ā 

P8196942-1.jpg

Ā 

P8196943.jpg

Ā 

I have a TE2 TK on my way, and iĀ“m thinking of doing the same thing on the TK suit as on my TD TE2 mat hips suits.

I will then just add a few dark battle damage spots here and there, and make it a bit used in the look, and then again gloss it up whit a hair spray job.

I might gloss it up a bit whit the Novus scratch remover before i do the weathering, and hair spray job on it.

Ā 

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

I assembled my TD using JAWA001 aluminum clips. These are GREAT Clips!!!!!

Ā 

I painted the 2" PVC tube with Krylon classic gray and left the area under the cover plate unpainted for better boning of the glue.

TD1.jpg

Ā 

I taped off the areas around where the cover plate will glue on to make sure I don't get excess glue where I don't want it. It also help be pre-align where to affix the cover plate.

TD2.jpg

Ā 

I taped the clips in place and drilled the holes closest to the cover plate first. Then I use the screws that were provided in JAWA001 kit. I decided to use the screws instead of the rivets so I could change the 2"TD to the large pipe later on and reuse the clips.

TD3.jpg

Ā 

Then I pre-drilled the holes and inserted the other screws.

TD4.jpg

Ā 

I pressed on the endcaps to make sure the gray gap between the cover plate and end caps where evenly spaced.

TD5.jpg

Ā 

EIB pics will be coming soon... This is my first time trying it all on...

CompleteTK.jpg

Ā 

Thanks for viewing my build process. I hope I provided some helpful tips.

Kevin W.

I think you're ready for duty. We just captured a freighter vessel that blasted it's way out of Mos Eisley spaceport. Head on down to the hanger deck - they need some help. Vader's on the way and we need to make a show of it.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I looked back at the dates... It took me about 9 months to complete this build.

Ā 

My armor was trooped in for the first yesterday. It was not worn by me. I let my buddy wear it on the red carpet with Harrison Ford. I will get the chance to troop in it for the fist time tomorrow, at the LA Dodger game. I hope all goes well....

Ā 

Ā 

My friend took most of the pictures for my EIB request with his camera and I am waiting to get them from him.

Ā 

Question:

Is there a format on what to list and describe all the necessary parts, when submitting a request for EIB?

Ā 

Kevin W.

Question:

Is there a format on what to list and describe all the necessary parts, when submitting a request for EIB?

Ā 

Kevin W.

Ā 

We need to ascertain these details

Ā 

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/crl-overview/crl-anh-stunt.html

Ā 

You can look at other EIB request threads to see what others do.

This was my first troop in the newly assembled armor, LA Dodger game.

I need to redo the thighs. I built them too tight on me and could not pull them up high enough. So the back of my knees got some really bad bruising from all the stairs we had to walk up and down.

Other than that I am happy with everything else...

Ā 

I am the one to the FAR RIGHT!!!

Ā 

LAGame.jpg

Ā 

Kevin W.