Kev's TK Build[*CAP]

Well it been about 6 years sense I built a TK and that was an FX. I've had a set of CAP that has been in a box for over a year now. I just also ordered a set of ATA as a back up or future TD. My plan is to build a EIB quality TK Stunt suit in about 3 weeks. I willing to work long hours to get this done. (in-between all the other stuff I am also doing) LOL

Well I started about 3 days ago... and I have been on this forum giving myself a crash course on what to do and how to do it. This place is awesome!

Here is what it looked like 3 days ago...

TKbox.jpg

Well I have trimmed all the edges and sanded all the the parts. I decided to primer them before assembling them. I didn't worry about taping off the areas that will be glued because that area needs to be sanded before glue gets applied. I was just a bit careful not to coat those area with the primer.

TrimPrimer.jpg

I also order some canvas belts form Mark. Thanks Mark!

I started on the helmet last summer and well it has looked like this sense then. I don't think I have too much more to go on it.

I got the Great Decals from TK4510!!!

Helmet1.jpg

Helmet2.jpg

The helmet bring up a question about the aerators. I'll ask that in the right section of the forum. HERE

I also made the inner pieces to the Drop Boxes yesterday. You can see them Here.

We I worked on taping the legs together last night and started gluing them together today.

LegsTape.jpg

More to come soon...

Thanks

Kevin W.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve seen all the other stuff u do..... cant wait to see what u do with this!!!!!!

Will be watch this thread closely!!!

looking good , kevin. man, where do you find the time between all the other stuff you have going on??

Honestly... I am only working on this TK build while I am Vac-forming or casting the Clone parts. After I pull a sheet and trim out the parts, I get about a 3-4 minute window to work on this TK. So that allows me to either sand something or trim an edge or primer a part.

What do you think of the armor?

To early to tell. This is my first time working with Styrene. It trims fine, sands fine and seams to go together well. I'll know more when I try it all on.

Compared to a clone this should be easier. You're such a stickler for details I can't imagine you not going for and getting EIB out the gate.

Thanks everyone for looking an giving me the worm welcome.

I am multi tasking big time right now. I just finished vac-forming the first summer run of my Animated Clone armor yesterday. I have a few small parts to cast but while I was doing that I also got some more work done on this TK build.

I am not that familiar with the 7 minute epoxy stuff but I have heard good things about it. So I am giving this a try. I normally use CA Zap-A-Gap with my Clone builds. I have also heard good things about E6000. I think I am going to use that in other areas.

I taped off the inside seam to keep the glue from running in.

GlueLegs3.jpg

I used a 1inch foam brush to apply to the outside with blue painters tape to try to keep the edges clean from execs glue.

GlueLegs1.jpg

I taped the strips down while waiting for the glue to cure.

GlueLegs2.jpg

After the outside glue with the attached strip cured, I also coated the inside of the seams with the 7 minute epoxy to add strength the the seam. I did this to all the parts. But while I was adding the glue I switched to a disposable brush and cut the length of the bristles off with scissors. And that made it much easier to apply the glue.

GlueLegs4.jpg

GlueLegs5.jpg

BicepsGlued.jpg

I had a little bit of the glue come out the sides and I used a dremel to grind the glue away then sanded it a bit.

DremelExtraGlue.jpg

I also glued the Ab button box and button strips to the Ab section. I hope it looks right.

AbPlateglued.jpg

I'll work on this more next week. I need to finish the small clone parts first.

Question... What type of rivets are used to attach the left side of the Ab and Kidney? I know there are 3 on the one side but the look sort of dome shape on the outside. They don't have a rivet hole. Also the appears to be another type of button on the right side near the top. What type is that?

Thanks

Kevin W.

I have another Question... I will be using a canvas belt and I know the vac-form belt can be snapped to the canvas belt but... Is a snap used to hold the assembled belt to the Ab plate or something? What keeps it from falling down?

I have another Question... I will be using a canvas belt and I know the vac-form belt can be snapped to the canvas belt but... Is a snap used to hold the assembled belt to the Ab plate or something? What keeps it from falling down?

The plastic is riveted to the canvas belt, in three places-- hence the three "buttons" on the front. In addition to their esthetic function, they hide the rivet.

The canvs belt gets two female snaps beneath the plastic, which connect to two male snaps that are driven through the ab plate.

There's a few fantastic photos on here somewhere, that illustrate it perfectly -- I just haven't been able to track them down. :P

Can someone help us out?

I think I found the right Jean Rivets at Jo-Ann's. The tool and the box of 24 rivets runs about $8.00 each.

These are the rivets that are used to attach the left side of the Ab and Kidney together using 3 on each side and one at the bottom of the Cod to hold the strap that connects to the butt with 2 different snaps.

Jeansnaps1.jpg

Here is a close up...

Jeansnaps2.jpg

I remember seeing this picture posted of the side rivets looking a little different. They did not have the smooth cap look. I think The cap came off and the brass flower texture side was all the was left holding the armor together.

gallery_1860_1_83156.jpg

I also found these at Merritt's ACE Hardware for about $3.00

I am going to try to bend them to become the Brackets to hold the Thermal Detonator.

TDClips.jpg

Thanks

Kevin W.

OK so I got a lot of work done on this early this week then got sick yesterday.

After all the basic parts were assembled, with snaps and straps attached, I used this tub to wet sand all the parts. I used a 320grit sanding sponge then 600 grit sand paper.

WetSand.jpg

Then I let all the parts sit out to dry in the sun.

WetsandallParts.jpg

ReadyforPaint1.jpg

ReadyforPaint2.jpg

AbButt1.jpg

After the parts were dry and ready for paint I cut some strips of cardboad and placed under the elastic so to keep from getting white paint on them through the splits.

AbButt2.jpg

AbButt3.jpg

And heres are the parts getting painted.

PaintingParts1.jpg

PaintingParts2.jpg

All the straps are made and I thought I would be finished this weekend but I just found out a part I didn't have won't get here in time for an event this Saturday. So the rush to get it done is kind of over. But I will finish it as soon as the part comes in and when I get feeling a bit better.

Kevin W.

Wow Kevin - this is one of the more meticulous build threads there is. You're doing fantastic work!

Hope your feeling better soon as well.

Dude, killer build thread. I see you built it before painting. I plan to do that with my next set. What paint did you use?

I used Krylon white primer (not a lot of it) Just one thin coat. The white primer is not the best primer if you use too much of it. I used the Krylon glossy white to paint it. The Krylon gloss white is slightly off white. But I don't think the original armor was a bright white.

After I spayed it, I let it sit in the sun for a few hours. Then I brought in all the parts into the garage to cool down for the night. The next day I took them all out in the hot sun. This is a great baking process to help the paint cure better.

After it sits for a few days, I will buff it all out with Novis Polish. This will help it get a slight wax coating and make it shine.

Kevin W.

What about the paint is off? Does it have a grey tint to it? Is this the indoor outdoor paint?

Off White is a color. Meaning slightly havening a beige hue or tint. Like an egg from a chicken. All white colors have either a beige, yellow, blue or even pink hue or tint to it.

The white styrene has a blue tint to it. So when you compare the outside of my painted armor to the inside you can see a slight difference.

You need to understand something about me. I am VERY high detail orientated. Most people won't or don't notice the difference in color. so it not a big deal at all. If you use the same paint for all your parts and helmet you will be fine.

It is the regular Krylon Gloss White spray paint can. Not the Kyrlon Fusion stuff.