Glasses (eyewear) and Helmet Sizes

I apologize if this has already been discussed but I've searched for this and haven't found an answer.

What helmets can accommodate eyewear (glasses - corrective lenses)?

Maybe you guys could measure your heads at various points and list the diameters.

-at Forehead height:

-at eyewear height (with,without glasses or sunglasses):

-at nose height:

-bucket type:

-bucket accessories that might alter the size:

-comfort level:

-do the glasses/sunglasses squish or bend when worn with the helmet on?

I read about some users getting goggles made but I have an extremely tricky prescription to get right so I couldn't possibly get flexible frames for this. It took years to get the prescription perfected so I wouldn't get nauseous. The lenses are too thick and I'm blind as a bat so my frames have to be like perfectly calibrated at all times. I wore disposable contacts for a while and loved them but due to eye allergies I had to stop wearing them since seeing became impossible.... that being said I'd still like to join the 501st as a Stormtrooper. Oh did I forget to mention the fact that I have a huge melon-head and a great big schnozz. Most hat-wear is out of the question for me :P

Also if anyone has any leads on who I could speak to about perhaps acquiring AP armor in the not too distant future then that'd be great~

My time has come :D ...kinda

I'm a fellow melon-head-glasses-wearing trooper. Right now, I'm able to wear my glasses under my FX. However, with any of the more accurate sized helmets, I'm not able to.

A couple of options are open to you. You can go ahead with an FX helmet and wear your glasses underneath. You can check into RT-Mod, or Kev about the over-sized but more accurate helmets they make. A trooper in my garrison actually went to an eye doctor about getting his lenses in the helmet made to his prescription. It has seemed to work for him, but he said the cost was comparable to a normal set of lenses for glasses. Not exactly the cheapest option there. Lastly, can you do contacts?

Lastly, can you do contacts?

I wore disposable contacts for a while and loved them but due to eye allergies I had to stop wearing them since seeing became impossible

I have an FX helmet and cannot wear it with my regular glasses, but it fits fine with my wrap around sunglasses (which are prescription).

You might be able to get a wrap around frame with your regular lenses inserted, but the curved lenses can take a little getting used to for some people.

I have a 58cm head and I can wear my TM helmet with my glasses on.

The left lens is a bit scratched, but once my head is in I have no problems at all.

Thanks guys! I didn't think I'd get so many responses so fast.

I'd still like to hear from more AP and FX bucket wearers if there are still more out there.

Darn my eye allergies. I could wear disposable contacts comfortably on the first day I got them and three months later my eyes wouldn't stand more than a minute of wearing them and they would get bloodshot and so watery I wasn't able to see well enough to take them out. The doc said to never wear them again. I tried every brand and type and it was still a no-go.

I have lenses thick as a magnifying glass so if the curvature of the lens or Inter Papillary Distance is funny then I get dizzy. Nobody wants to see a stormtrooper use his bucket as an airsick bag. Well except for everyone on Youtube.

Even my prescription sunglasses make me a little dizzy because of their slight curve.

Bah! when will the imperial alliance support us 4eyes?

I still want to get suited up in ap armor so maybe just maybe I'll be able to fit into it if more people reply.

FX only interests me when it's battle damaged :L 8D

have you thought of maybe using old glasses and popping out the lens and placing the lens behind the eye holes?

I have but I'm not entirely sure that'd work. Especially if the distance is over about an inch from my eyes to the lenses. Because my eyes wouldn't be able to see up to the lens and then past it :L

I'm super-nearsighted.

I wasn't kidding about the "blind as a bat" deal~

That's an excellent idea about getting lenses made for it. If everything goes to hell then I may just have to invest in some prescription lenses, although I really want anyone to be able to wear the helmet should they feel like it.

Following up on my post from earlier about a Garrison mate who has prescription lenses in his bucket. At the last trooping event, I saw inside his bucket. It looked like he had the normal lenses for his bucket, and then attached to them were his prescription lenses.

Personally, I'd say that you should talk to your local Garrison, meet up with them at an event and see if you can try on some helmets to get an idea on sizing. It could possibly make a difference in which option you pursue.

Following up on my post from earlier about a Garrison mate who has prescription lenses in his bucket. At the last trooping event, I saw inside his bucket. It looked like he had the normal lenses for his bucket, and then attached to them were his prescription lenses.

Personally, I'd say that you should talk to your local Garrison, meet up with them at an event and see if you can try on some helmets to get an idea on sizing. It could possibly make a difference in which option you pursue.

totally.

The golden gate garrison only seems to have one public event scheduled and that's the San Jose Parade which is really far off.

If I had a armor I'd be trooping day in day out. Even at the office and while buying a sammich at a subway store.

cmon guys get with it! :D

I usually end up leaving my sunglasses on when I troop here in sunny Florida. I had absolutely no problem fitting my glasses in an FX. I could not fit my big head in an RT at all. the AP, CAP, and ATA helmets all were comfortable and I can leave my glasses on.

Weather or not your glasses will be "squished" is all in how you do your foam. I do mine very basic. A 1/2 inch sheet in the dome, a forhead block (about 1.5 x 1.5 x 3 inches) to press the helmet out from my forhead, and 2 2 x 2 x 1 blocks on the sides for lateral stability. It never squeezes and stays put.

the idea of making lenses for the helmet with your prescription sounds like the better option in my humble opinion.

the idea is so sound to me actually that I might even try to take my lid lenses to the ophthalmologist and ask him for a pricing on that!

I also wear glasses, but I must have a smaller head than many folks because I can wear my AP with little difficulty and still have room for some gadgets (sound system and fans). The glasses clear everything inside - I don't have a problem with them bumping up against the lenses, for example. I also have an RT bucket and have to pad it up slightly more as it's a little bigger than the AP. My old FX was cavernous in comparison to the other two.

hmm...so it seems to fit some people with glasses and doesn't fit others at all without glasses :L

Since I'm right back where I started I thought I'd try a scientific approach.

I went ahead and measured my jug-head and took pictures.

Attached is a traced image of myself with my measurements in inches.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated!

Measure your head or measure the helmet. Anything helps.

I'd hate to realize it didn't fit me after putting it together.post-9853-1251269544_thumb.jpg

i had exactly the same problem with my MR lid, and after trying no end of solutions, contacts, replacing the lenses with prescription ones, goggles , i eventually ended up having corrective laser surgery...no more glasses for me.

expensive but works a treat...i say expensive , but if you work out the cost of a pair of glasses every year for twenty years plus, you soon find out that corrective surgery is as cheap as chips....(about four thousand pounds).

Even without taking measurements, I'm pretty sure a standard AP lid wont fit.

Now, that's not to say you wont be able to do it at all. You could try to adjust the sizing a bit during the construction, you do have some leeway.

But, I think you would probably have the best luck looking into an RT-Mod oversized or Kev's ANH, which are slightly larger in sizing than AP (which tends to be the smallest), and aren't so out of proportion like the FX lid.

i had exactly the same problem with my MR lid, and after trying no end of solutions, contacts, replacing the lenses with prescription ones, goggles , i eventually ended up having corrective laser surgery...no more glasses for me.

expensive but works a treat...i say expensive , but if you work out the cost of a pair of glasses every year for twenty years plus, you soon find out that corrective surgery is as cheap as chips....(about four thousand pounds).

I'd go for that too but I'm an video artist with hopes of becoming a director. There's always risks with any surgery so some people unfortunately don't have such great luck post laser eye surgery. I've heard of some people not being able to see the color black accurately after that. Although my dad had it done and it worked out great for him, I still don't want to risk it just yet.

I'd go for an empirical approach, arrange a meeting with a guy with the helmet you want and try!

I'd like to do that...

...hey....hey where'd...where'd everybody go?....

"hellloooooo.....heeelllooooooooo?" - seinfeld