How did you fix your knee plate on your AP kit

The tiltle says it all ..

I'm trying to figure out how to fit the knee plate on my AP kit .. but just can't seem to get a good grip at it!

Who did it and what did it look like? Any good pix I could refer to?

As usual, thanks for the help

Cheers

TD or tk?

TK

Rivets don't work?? :blink:

Well .. the way it's molded doesn't leave a lot of space for interpretation .. I'll try to get a picture of the kee + the thigh to show you. Anyone with an AP armor should know what I mean .. These are not so well molded like the RTMod I think!

TK

Well .. the way it's molded doesn't leave a lot of space for interpretation .. I'll try to get a picture of the kee + the thigh to show you. Anyone with an AP armor should know what I mean .. These are not so well molded like the RTMod I think!

I would use screws so you change where you put the knee plate.

TK

Maybe shaping it with a heat gun would help?

Maybe shaping it with a heat gun would help?

I agree, I'm pretty sure it would. But for one, I don't have a heat gun, and also, I'm sure some people with AP kit figured it out, or a way to twist it etc... I might try the heat gun though, also sounds safe considering if something happens, well, it's just the knee piece ...

I'm considering just ABS cementing it to the vertical strip on the front of the shin. It has a nice, big area of contact for a strong bond, and then I don't have to worry about "melting" my knee piece into shape. I agree the shape as-is is not particularly easy to work with. You might be able to rivet one side, but the other will be quite out of place.

Still haven't decided 100% though...

I added white plastic/nylon chicago screws (I know they have another name but I don't remember). I was going to go with rivet's but I wasn't sure if they would hold & I didn't want to paint. The screws I used were perfect. I had to cut them down a bit but it holds the knee plate perfectly.

I don't have any close ups of the knee plate but here is a recent pic.

I don't get to this board often but you can PM me on the legion forums (same ID) for some close up pics.

• 5 months later...

Resurecting my old thread ;)

Well, I decided to finish my armor .. and never got around to do my knee .. and I'm just tired of looking at it, trying to fgind a way, putting it back away and then trying again .. that's been going on for the past 6 months!

So here I am .. I still haven't gotten a heat gun but Curtis's thread helped me figuring it out. Now, what I think is that the AP kits is different from one to the other, aren't they all anyway?

I stumbled upon these picture. In the first one, the knee plate is supported with rivets UNDER the top bar, beside the squared boxes (while the other uses plastic wraps. Anyone tried that?

I just had to make my mind that I can't fit my knee pad properly by riveting it on the top border/bar, I'll have to find another way.

So my question is, is the knee attachment method important to be canon? Or there was just soo many ways the armor was built up on screen that whatever where the rivets are, it's always gonna be good?

post-347-1190685794_thumb.jpg

Well, I've had no answers for this, which surely surprises me .. but I'm still updating with pics of what I came up with.

Ok, before any of you think I should have put it more up on the inner side, or more in front on the outer side, let me tell you that this piece seriously didn't fit my thigh piece!

If I would have wanted to place it higher on the inner side, it would have been seriously inclined in a front view as the inner top border was much higher then the outer one (all AP kits are supposed to be made that way)

If I wanted to rivet it on the top outer border, it would have been misaligned in front view (left-right balance).

So afterm SERIOUSLY, a few months of looking at this piece, I finally came up with a screen cap of a knee pad riveted not on the top border, but like I did, I tried this, and saw that this would work (although it makes my inner alignment lower .. but at this point I don't care, my armor is getting quite nice, and this won't change a thing when I'll finaly show it to you guys :)

So I'd still like to get your opinion on this, is this affecting anything?

post-347-1191214633_thumb.jpg

post-347-1191214643_thumb.jpg

post-347-1191214650_thumb.jpg

Not knowing AP Armor, here is my 2 cents. Get extended Rivets...maybe 5/8" shaft. I filled the raised trim on the knee plate with 1/8" ABS. You can then connect the two points on the sides with the rivets and "lightly" glue the center point. I say lightly because the glue may warp the knee plate if you use too much. And be sure to use washers behind the rivets.

Not knowing AP Armor, here is my 2 cents. Get extended Rivets...maybe 5/8" shaft. I filled the raised trim on the knee plate with 1/8" ABS. You can then connect the two points on the sides with the rivets and "lightly" glue the center point. I say lightly because the glue may warp the knee plate if you use too much. And be sure to use washers behind the rivets.

Well I have to admit that I don't totally see what you mean.

Are you saying that you've removed the knee piece upper lip completely so that you were able to twist the plastic more in proper position?

It's frustrating trying to explain something about that piece since there's no term and so much curve in it that you're never too sure what word to use ..

Anyway, for now, they're fixed! Holes have been made etc .. so I'm not taking it off :) Gotta be done for Halloween and I'm lagging behind right now!

Thanks for the tip though ;)

• 2 years later...

OK, I am asking this question here too in the hopes that someone will answer.....

I have the AP kit with the sniper plate that doesn't fit well/line up at all. Does anyone (who is familiar with the AP kit and it's stubborn sniper plate) think E6000 will hold that sniper plate in place if I try to glue it on the 2 edges? I have the front part velcroed on, but the 2 'wing'like' edges need to be affixed to the shin and I am hesitant to screw or rivet. Will E6000 hold?

I just did mine a couple months ago. I taped it on for a reference. Then I used long rivits. I rivited 1 side, then the other. it really wants to pull away from the other side so I don't know if E6000 will hold for very long. Someone who used it may want to chime in on if it worked for them. Also, I lined my wing like sides with the edges the best I could.

I will admit it does not line up perfect, but it is centered and that is what I was going for. I have yet to see two the same. Also, I put my rivet on the ridge and had mine a little higher that the one bigturc has above. His looks good also and I don't think I have seen two AP kits put together the same so do your best. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for chiming in Mike. Well, I think I will have to get some E6000 and just give it a go and see if I can make it stick. That's still a preferred alternative to drilling holes in my armor only to not like the way the pcs line up. Too bad I don't have a heat gun and the confidence to

Thanks a lot for chiming in Mike. Well, I think I will have to get some E6000 and just give it a go and see if I can make it stick. That's still a preferred alternative to drilling holes in my armor only to not like the way the pcs line up. Too bad I don't have a heat gun and the confidence to

Once you have it glued on and you are satisfied with the location, then you can drill the holes. Plus you won't have to worry about your glue coming off at a later day.

Edited by Mike

if you're going for the screen accurate look you should NOT put any rivets in that kneeplate... better check the source before claiming such things!

He is right, my bad on that one.I have been looking at too many tutorials lately.

So... How WERE they attached?

They were glued on. I would try CA glue to get it to stay, then use E6000 generously where the plastic is in contact with the shin, mainly on the back. Use some clamps to hold it in place.

Edited by SolderMaster

• 2 weeks later...

I am very pleased to report that I seem to have glued my AP sniper-plate to my shin successfully using only E6000. The way I did it is I left my velcro in place on the middle portion and then glued down the 'wings' of the sniper-plate. They did not line up nicely at all and I had to clamp them down to have them hold their position, but they held.

The real test will come after a few troops. If it can still hold after repeatedly opening up the shin to put on and take off, it will be an official success. I will chime in again at that time.