Confused

jimmyj1

So I was at Comic Con this year and was really inspired by the panel that the Southern California 501st put on. I have been really looking over all this for several weeks now and have become quite confused. At the panel in San Diego they warned against buying kits online for building armor, yet I have seen many people people talk about building from the the kits available. So which is it? Kit or no kit? ;)<_<

Also many thanks to the 501st legion that participated in the Comic Con panel. You guys took life long Star Wars fan and excited him all over again. :rolleyes:

The thing is they're warning you for commercially available armor. That means a shop will be selling those as 'movie accurate' or whatever because the armor has been given a license from LFL. Unfortunately, the licenced ones aren't really the most accurate ones out there. The most accurate armors are being made by amateurs such as those on our forum here. You might have read some abbrevations that indicate a specific armor make. Those are all amateurs who somehow got their hands on a cast from an original helmet and armor, or created the molds to make the armor all by themselves.

Now to be frank there is a lot of controversy about who's the most accurate, who used original casts or not, who used what item from what other amateur crafter... It's a bit overwhelming but the information is out here in the boards.

In short, it's up to you to decide if you want a Ferarri or a Vauxhall :P

Every armor has its pros and cons, it's up to your personal preference what you'd get.

I spent half a year just looking for the right armor, and I finally found it.

It gives a sense of achievement when you spent so much time looking for the right thing and get it, so feel free to check these forums out further!

The first few posts of this sub-forum explain a lot:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showforum=29

I suggest you read up some more on the boards (especially the so-called 'sticky' topics), and pop in the New Member Introduction area to get your 'official' entry to the FISD (First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment)!

Best regards,

Vincent

Disclaimer:

With amateurs I mean the proper meaning as in: People not doing this as their main profession or source of income.

Stay away from E-Bay Kits, u should get in contact with your local 501st, they can help u learn from where to get kits from.

Also stick around there (FISD) and do research and u will find out the difference about NO-NO kits Vs yes kits.

Well, if by "buying kits online" you mean "buying kits on eBay", yes, I'd say avoid that.

First of all you should read an see the different options available. Another wise move would be to contact your local garrison and see the different armors by yourself.

After that you may decide on a particular maker and then contact that maker to buy your kit.

Cheers.

P.S: It would be nice if you stop by New Member Introductions and tell us a bit about yourself. ;)

Jim all thats been said above is the best advice you could ever need bud.

Contact your local garrison for advice and also research like crazy here, everything you will ever need is at the touch of a button all you got to do is look for it :salute:

Oh and welcome ;P

Thank you all for your info here. It is apparent I still have a lot of investigation to do :P . Thanks again for being kind to the noob. :D

Hehe, welcome Jim. Take it from this noob, I spent 3 months researching here before I even applied for an account! Bunch of great guys here and plenty of help.