I hate snaps!

So I'm almost done assembling my FX armor, all that is left is the snaps and straps. I must say that the snaps alone have given me the most trouble so far. First the snaps I found locally were crap and everytime I'd hammer them into the plastic pieces I'd cut out, they would fall apart. Drove far away to get the good snaps, which works, but now gluing in the plastic pieces with the snaps is torture. I've got great glue, but the trouble comes when trying to get the ends of the pieces of plastic that the snaps are in, flush with the piece they are getting glued to. The snap raises up the plastic, so it's a royal pain to get them to stay down and secure when they are being glued. I'm not really looking for answers, because I'm getting them done - slowly, but just wanted to commiserate. Sucks that the snap system is the best way to go, because assembling it is not for the weak (which apparently I am).

I had the same problem. putting my FX together. I cut the plastic tabs alot longer to compensate for the snap not sitting flush on my thigh pieces. Also I used 2 snaps on the long tab, 1 male and 1 female and 2 on the webbing. Seems to distribute the force better across 2 and if 1 fails I still have 1.

Good luck.

I ran into this problem with the cheesy system pick and hammer that came with the snaps, i finally opted to buy the lever system 25$ and never looked back.

I had the same problem. putting my FX together. I cut the plastic tabs alot longer to compensate for the snap not sitting flush on my thigh pieces. Also I used 2 snaps on the long tab, 1 male and 1 female and 2 on the webbing. Seems to distribute the force better across 2 and if 1 fails I still have 1.

Good luck.

Yeah, I've been thinking about doing two snaps each on the legs since if you only have one and it pops off, your in a bit of trouble. I like the idea of having two just to be safe.

I ran into this problem with the cheesy system pick and hammer that came with the snaps, i finally opted to buy the lever system 25$ and never looked back.

I'm still using the post and hammer method, I just couldn't bring myself to spend $25 on an item that I was only going to use a couple of times. That being said, I have spent so much money on supplies for this costume, that seem to be the right thing only to not work and need to get replaced. The money is flying out of my wallet quicker than I can handle! :angry:

I've not had much problems with the snaps..I bought the plier thingies that are for them..they seal those babies right up no messing. I used the flatter side of the snap on my squares of plastic..they sit much flusher...now riveting, thats my pet peave :6:

I'm still using the post and hammer method, I just couldn't bring myself to spend $25 on an item that I was only going to use a couple of times. That being said, I have spent so much money on supplies for this costume, that seem to be the right thing only to not work and need to get replaced. The money is flying out of my wallet quicker than I can handle! :angry:

My thoughts exactly!!! until i did the math and came to scare find that between snaps that i tried to put, plus the ones i had to fix after every troop..... i found that i had spend more then 1/2 of the price on the lever system!!!! and once u see how easy the lever system is u will start to use and place snaps on many other things!!!!! samr thing happened to me with rivets!!!! i dont use screws any more if its going to be permant i use rivits for hobbys and over all house use.....

but see what wroks for u.

i have a soultion to the plasdtic pieces,that i gotfrom amember here...

i used nylon webbing to attach the snap to the armor. Webbing will contour to the curve unlike a plastic square.

And mine are also replaceable if the snaps should ever fail.

You do this by first cutting a piece of nylon webbing and attaching the snap to it. (Like you would with the ABS square)Now, being the webbing is essentially plastic, i then epoxy the webbing (with the snap already on it)to the plastic side of a piece of industrial velcro already applied where the snap needs to go. This HAS to be the industrial type as the adhesive is rediculously strong. Once it sits 24hrs,it is VERY hard to remove, but it can be done.

So again, The trick is to apply the velcro half to the armor first, then epoxy on the nylon webbing with the snap on it. If you try to attach the webbing to the velcro and then attach it to the armor,your in the same place as before with the plastic pieces as the epoxy will stiffen the webbing/velcro. i built my armor like this from the start and have trooped it over the last year at least a dozen times and have had zero problems or failure.

hope this can help some of you out!

PS i used dritz snaps, with the plier tool and it worked perfect.

I ran into the same problem when I was setting up the snap system for my armor. More often than not they wouldn't set right on the plastic tabs that I had cut and drilled for them. After fighting it for a while I found something else that so far has worked OK. Instead of plastic tabs I cut lengths of some of the extra 1 inch elastic that I had. Putting a hole for the snaps was fairly easy and the snap held every time. To glue them on the armor I put a good amount of glue all around the elastic avoiding the metal snaps and then used clamps to hold it down while it dried. I used E6000 and let it set. I put another set of snaps on this ways to reinforce snaps that kept coming unsnapped on my shoulder bells and haven't had a problem with them.

bluehickey, It sound like you have all your snaps put together. Maybe if you need more you could give this a try.

I used the snap Stormtrooper kit from the UK...

-----------

Recommended by Tony Barnett's tutorial...

http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/snaps.html

The tool works great and Tony's guide gives you all the steps. The only thing I didn't do was the extra belt thing for the thighs, I just connected them to the back of the ab plate with and elastic strip and snaps. You can get additional stretchy material in black, white ribbon for the ammo boxes, and additional Heavy Duty Snaps at Wal-Mart in the fabric dept. Snaps are the way to go for most of the interconnections. With the pliers in the kit I never had a problem with the male snaps not being flush on the abs strips I was using. Just one tip, always pre-punch the hole in the straps with the tool, it prevents the snaps from pulling through the fabric, and double up where possible. In a few spots I was able to wrap the elastic around the snap head before securing it. I had to use the hammer method in a few spots where I put the snaps directly in the armor and it was tough to get it right.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Vernio pliers are more accurate than the hammer tools that come with most snap kits, that's true.

When i glue the tabs in place i make the plastic squares 1 1/2 inch in size. Some make of snaps are deeper than others and will make the tab stand slightly proud. I always give them a good covering of E-6000 and then use a couple of clamps to hold them in place while the glue sets.

For complex curves using nylon webbing to put the snaps on is a good idea.

wl8Bxur.jpg

I just redid my arms to remove the velcro (which doesn't hold up very well, was always popping loose) and I did pretty much FBJ described. I put the snap into the plastic and just used a ridiculous amount of E6000, clamped it and left it alone for 24 hours.

So far, test fits are good, real test is on Monday.

I ran into the same problem when I was setting up the snap system for my armor. More often than not they wouldn't set right on the plastic tabs that I had cut and drilled for them. After fighting it for a while I found something else that so far has worked OK. Instead of plastic tabs I cut lengths of some of the extra 1 inch elastic that I had. Putting a hole for the snaps was fairly easy and the snap held every time. To glue them on the armor I put a good amount of glue all around the elastic avoiding the metal snaps and then used clamps to hold it down while it dried. I used E6000 and let it set. I put another set of snaps on this ways to reinforce snaps that kept coming unsnapped on my shoulder bells and haven't had a problem with them.

bluehickey, It sound like you have all your snaps put together. Maybe if you need more you could give this a try.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, they have been helpful. I have not done all of my connections with snaps yet, and I am more than willing to try some alternate methods in different areas.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, they have been helpful. I have not done all of my connections with snaps yet, and I am more than willing to try some alternate methods in different areas.

I'm using tandy leather line 24 snaps as described here on the boards with some heavy duty polyurethane white vinyl that is very thick and very flexible, plus the E6000 will soak into the backside and contour to the armor shape, working so far so good.

I'm using tandy leather line 24 snaps as described here on the boards with some heavy duty polyurethane white vinyl that is very thick and very flexible, plus the E6000 will soak into the backside and contour to the armor shape, working so far so good.

forgot to add if you buy in store at 4" its a couple bucks at most. was enough to make about 40 snap squares and then some.

• 1 month later...