ATA armor

Hello everybody,

i've been looking for armor for a bit and got some great responses.

for now, i'm in doubt because i hessitate between 2 armors

1. ATA

2. FX

the helmet has already been taking care of ;) thanks again firebladejedi!

the references and pictures are super but i am a rookie.

botharmor have great features but now, how to choose?

keep in mind i want to troop!

well......

I would say ATA cos of its origins and I like the look of it better - but drop a line to SL9135, he once chose a FX over a TE2

at the end of the day - its ur choice mate

FX has lots of inaccuracies, but I think its ABS. No need to paint, easier to put together

ATA is closer to being screen accurate with links to TE/TE2 armour and some other complicated mix; I think its made of HIPS? not that up to date.

given a choice - I would pick ATA over FX anyday though, as I dont do any heavy duty troopin

Didn't see that this topic was on here twice. This was originally in the other thread, but this one seems more popular..

Both are good sets of armor. FX is good if you are a larger trooper. ATA draws from the more screen accurate build, however if you are a larger sized trooper you might have to do more shimming. FX is a bit more durable being made from ABS, but that's not to say that ATA is fragile, it's made from HIPS (I believe), so no playing football in your suit. :) ATA might be a more complicated build than FX, and involve painting.

A lot of it comes down to what looks better to you, what particular skill sets you might have, etc. That's to say it all comes down to you and your personal preference.

A lot of it comes down to what looks better to you, what particular skill sets you might have, etc. That's to say it all comes down to you and your personal preference.

I agree 100%, there is going to be work involved with an ATA build no doubt about it, plus painting. It's made from HIPS, but I'm suprised at the durability. I flexed the butt plate quite a bit, and it didn't tear, or crease, or anything. I wouldn't suggest football, but for general trooping should be fine.

but it all comes down to what you want to do, what you can afford, and how much effort you're willing to put in. Good Luck with your decision!!!

can the ATA armor be rubbed and buffed till it becomes glossy? i know plastic can be rubbed to a shine given the right tools. I was just wondering if you can get away w/o painting the ATA armor.. some fine grit sandpaper and novus polish should do the trick..

Didn't see that this topic was on here twice. This was originally in the other thread, but this one seems more popular..

Both are good sets of armor. FX is good if you are a larger trooper. ATA draws from the more screen accurate build, however if you are a larger sized trooper you might have to do more shimming. FX is a bit more durable being made from ABS, but that's not to say that ATA is fragile, it's made from HIPS (I believe), so no playing football in your suit. :) ATA might be a more complicated build than FX, and involve painting.

I talked to ATA about size houseing issues, i am 6ft 220lb. ATA told me that he wroked on areas in the armor to be able to house him, at 6 ft 1 inch (i forget this weight but he is lighter then i am). so if u are our size it should nt be a problem,and if u are thinner or smaller,there are minor mods to do to house U. i am waiting for $$ clearence from Paypal and i should get mine soon, so if i can fit in it......this will be one more positive check of the many that ATA is racking in!!!!!

Because i am a "first-timer" would it be better to buy FX?

if i F@ckup an ATA because of it's complicity. that would be bad, m'kay.

FX is in complete kit form sanded and trimmed isn't it?

ATA is raw untrimmed and just has a great deal of work, but what is a hobby like if you're finished your armor in a day or 2?

so many unanswered questions: I CAN'T HANDLE IT.

however you guys will help if i'm stuck won't you?

greetz.

maurice

I'm a first-timer too, starting with ATA, though started on working on a blaster before handling the armor to get the gist of working with plastic and dremels. I have no idea if I mess up or not, but I am sure ATA can send me replacement parts with ease (and decent price) if I botch up. then again, measure twice, sleep on it, measure thrice and then cut :P. I doubt anyone would go circularsaw on their armor and score it across the chest. Then again, who knows?

All in all it's just plastic and if you mess up a bit, make it a sandtrooper and cover the flaws with dirt :D.

Vincent

I really don't know abut the difference in pricing.

My two cents on both are:

ATA: accurate. Needs trimming and painting, soldering and velcro positioning for use. if not painted correctly the wear of trooping will eventually chip the paint job in some places like inner arms and legs. HIPS plastic material Not as durable as ABS but durable enough for regular, non heavy trooping.

FX: non accurate (accurate enough for legion standards). needs no trimming nor painting, only velcro positioning for use. good at fitting most body types except the smallest ones. very sturdy ABS plastic material ideal for heavy trooping. Can be ordered without helmet making the price excepcionally good for quality.

having stated that what you need to take into account is, your body type, vs height, vs what you are ready to pay for the kit and just how much you are worried about accuracy.

don't rush it! study all of these factors and be absolutely sure of what you want before you buy.

It's better to say that ATA, like TE2, GF, AP, etc. are *more* accurate, not *accurate*. There is a gradient from FX as the least to TM as the most as far as ANH style armor is concerned. The TE derived suits are not as accurate as TM, but much closer than FX.

The helmets are a different story, as the TE derived lineage is from an actual helmet.

thank you guys for the all of the advise.

considering everything:

1. hobby: i have to be able to "MAKE" my own suit FX will be to easy ATA will keep me busy for a while.

2. money: TM rules, i get it.but ATA is cheap and *most* accurate witin my budget.

3. trooping: first have to see if i like it at all. otherwise i will have expensive plastic on the attic.

4. Wife: WELL.....need i say more guys?

5. weigt, hight etc

appology to all the women in the 501th or the ones that understand how important a hobby can be.

maurice

If you can glue an FX, you can spray paint an ATA suit of polystyrene in gloss white with some ease. If you can fit in both, I recommend ATA... every image I have seen of it looks sweet.

Heatshock is right... "It is your choice" and it is good to have choices. As soon as I can fit into ATA... I am selling my FX. And as far ar the durability of HIPS verses ballistic-grade ABS... and since I have worn HIPS clone armor and ABS clone armor, it is in how you care for it. Frankly, I have been pretty tough on the HIPS components of my clone suit... but, it repairs well. If you plan on trooping 4 times a month, you may wear it out faster... just take care of it, and you will be fine.

Crawling around on gravel, as a former clone armor liked to show photos of himself doing shows the strength and durability... but is it kinda dumb too, since, in the end... these are just really nice costumes. And not battle-wear. But if you foresee yourself fighting in it, go with FX. HAHAHA!!!

Seriously, get the ATA!

John

Heatshock said:
well......

I would say ATA cos of its origins and I like the look of it better - but drop a line to SL9135, he once chose a FX over a TE2

at the end of the day - its ur choice mate

FX has lots of inaccuracies, but I think its ABS. No need to paint, easier to put together

ATA is closer to being screen accurate with links to TE/TE2 armour and some other complicated mix; I think its made of HIPS? not that up to date.

given a choice - I would pick ATA over FX anyday though, as I dont do any heavy duty troopin

As far as sizing, I'm 6'2" about 195lbs. I'm in the process of trimming and fitting my ATA right now. at 6'2", the grieves go from my ankle bone to my knee perfectly. I'm a runner, so I have big calves. I barely fit the back 'bulge' in the grieves, but with the front and back strips, I should have no problems. I've trimmed my fronts to 3/4" on each side, and the rear to 5/8" (just giving information.) Also, I have a little bit of a belly, so I will need to shim the ab plate about 1-2 inches on each side. other than that, initial fittings seem to suggest that this is a very well proportioned suit for me.