Trooper Clean up your act!

Runya Jade

Okay, I have my armor! (YEAHH!!) apparently it's a 3rd time go around set I bought from a fellow garrison member. Sure it needs some adjusting before I can troop in it and more overly I want to clean it up.

So here is a question I didn't see covered in any thread as I was poking around for information.

Can you use "goo begone" on the armor without damaging the finish and or causing issues later? There is left over sticky residue from duct tape inside the chest plate and a a few other parts. Looks like it was done for emergency repair.

Don't use goo begone, it contains acetone and will melt plastic. I like Oops as it's naptha based and won't dull the shine.

More importantly is the armor made of ABS or HIPS?

Don't use goo begone, it contains acetone and will melt plastic. I like Oops as it's naptha based and won't dull the shine.

That is a good question, I'm not sure. It's an ANH style but I don't know about the plastic itself. Any tall tell signs that would help identify it?

is "Oops" something i can grab at the local store?

I used a rag soaked in white spirit to clean off the yucky patches of old glue from sticky-back velcro on my set of HIPS Troopermaster armor, worked great. Rinsed the parts with lots water afterwards to get rid of any residue that might eat away at the armor over time.

Hi Gina! Welcome to the wonderful, plastic-goodness of white armor. ^_^

Posting some pics of your newly-acquired rig would help us to positively identify it, and with that, what kind of plastic.

I just googled the ingredients of Goo-Gone. It DOES contain Acetone, but I never had any problems with it. I used it on ABS FX armor. Caveat Emptor I guess. :salute:

Hi Gina! Welcome to the wonderful, plastic-goodness of white armor. ^_^

Posting some pics of your newly-acquired rig would help us to positively identify it, and with that, what kind of plastic.

Hi Brian :D

TK1548.jpg

TK15481.jpg

I know I need to cut down the chest plate (this scares me more than I can explain)

it came with 2 sets of thigh plates, the ones I'm waring are a little large. the 2nd pair fits but are to long.

What else do I need to modify?

That's definitely FX armor, as such it's made out of ABS. Helmet looks like an AP. Is that Tony M.'s old set?

Whomever you bought it from was well on their way to EIB, I see they've already incorporated the EIB-required mods. They even threw in a better-than-FX set of handplates.

That's definitely FX armor, as such it's made out of ABS. Helmet looks like an AP. Is that Tony M.'s old set?

Whomever you bought it from was well on their way to EIB, I see they've already incorporated the EIB-required mods. They even threw in a better-than-FX set of handplates.

It's Fitz's old set. If it was Tony's it would be to small for me to ware. :)

Dont be TOOscared tocuit downthe chestplate! :)

Heres what i would do..

Id trim some off the shoulders to raise it up a bit,and also trim the neckline so your not choking yourself :D

You can then also trim the bottom edge, to make it a bit shorter,AND get a more accurate look to it...and add the return edge back with a simple hobby iron you can get off of e-bay for around $20 or sometimes a little less.

the thighs you have that fit better but are too tall...you can do the same thing,trim the tops, and u can add that return edge even though the FX armor does not have that...it is more accurate :)

heres a link to the thread that explains this mod:

Chest plate mod

hope i helped more than i confused :P

Holy crap - Gina's in da' house! Better mind your P's and Q's, lads.

Lou's got great advice - it's mostly fit and finish. I'd move the shoulder straps forward a bit actually rather than trim them, and lower the cod/butt as they look a little high on you.

Dont be TOOscared tocuit downthe chestplate! :)

Heres what i would do..

Id trim some off the shoulders to raise it up a bit,and also trim the neckline so your not choking yourself :D

You can then also trim the bottom edge, to make it a bit shorter,AND get a more accurate look to it...and add the return edge back with a simple hobby iron you can get off of e-bay for around $20 or sometimes a little less.

the thighs you have that fit better but are too tall...you can do the same thing,trim the tops, and u can add that return edge even though the FX armor does not have that...it is more accurate :)

heres a link to the thread that explains this mod:

Chest plate mod

hope i helped more than i confused :P

Thank you very sweetly! I had seen your thread earlier about the chest plate and it was all the talk of cutting and melting and I started thinking about how it could all go very wrong. No guts No glory right? Hopefully I can muster up the currage with a little help from a friend and do it next week. :)

Holy crap - Gina's in da' house! Better mind your P's and Q's, lads.

Lou's got great advice - it's mostly fit and finish. I'd move the shoulder straps forward a bit actually rather than trim them, and lower the cod/butt as they look a little high on you.

Hahaha ;)

Thank you for the tips. Luckly I have a friendly home garrison member not to far away that I can bug the hell out of till I get it right. :D

Glad to see you made your way over here Gina. For wiping excess gunk and paint off my armor I've had good luck with basic nail polish remover, again making sure to get the NON-Acetone version.

We finally got some more armor on this side of the state, maybe we can get a Western VA armor party at some point.

^_^

oh just to be clear, i meant trim the actual shoulder area of the chest plate...not the straps....id remove them, trim the tops of the chest plate (on the shoulder areas) ..i think i cut about a half inch off mine, trim a little off the neck line following the curve already there...then put the shoulder straps back on. :duim: that will raise the chest a bit. Then do the bottom mod. that should get those ab button showing again!

Hm,yea the cod does seem a bit high,but i think thats common on the females due to the hips and cuz they have nothing there to keep the armor lower :lol: .....So id try to get it a tad lower like Daetrin said. doing all that should get it to all be spaced correctly for ya!

• 2 months later...
^_^

oh just to be clear, i meant trim the actual shoulder area of the chest plate...not the straps....id remove them, trim the tops of the chest plate (on the shoulder areas) ..i think i cut about a half inch off mine, trim a little off the neck line following the curve already there...then put the shoulder straps back on. :duim: that will raise the chest a bit. Then do the bottom mod. that should get those ab button showing again!

Hm,yea the cod does seem a bit high,but i think thats common on the females due to the hips and cuz they have nothing there to keep the armor lower :lol: .....So id try to get it a tad lower like Daetrin said. doing all that should get it to all be spaced correctly for ya!

LOL Nothing there to keep it lower or to much hip that keeps it up higher.. I was able to ware my armor for the Roanoke JDRF walk and that really helped with two other members there to see it side by side. I found out that the elastic attached to the thigh plates are shot and makes them hang to low, which only adds to how high the cod piece looks. Brain is going to try and help me at Air&Scare coming up on the 24th to see if adjusting the straps on the ab plate will help and then take a look and see how much the chest plate needs to be trimmed. Hopefully the less trimmed the better. :)

Thank again guys for all your tips and help. It is MOST appreciated!!! :D

I havent cleaned my armor really in over 4 years...i think i tried to polish it up before one of my LFL events but it really didnt make a difference lol...i like my armor to have some character to it like the armor used on screen :)

Keepin your armor squeaky clean is great and I'm happy for you... and IMMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT BEYONCE HAS DA BEST VIDEO OF ALLLLLLL TIME! :D

BWAHAHAHAHA!

I never clean mine either.