Screen look or screen accurate?

89Batman

I just wondered what is more important to people? I think there are so many differences between what we see on screen and what was actual. The more you study the suits the more flaws you see. Mark (FBJ) is completely screen accurate 100% but for example we know the lenses were flimsy acetate but on screen you can't see they are green or that you can see through them- so which is better? What we percieve or what is actual? Myself I'm trying to get the best of both worlds so the suit looks correct and is practical for trooping as I use it alot. Just curious about other peoples takes on this.

That is 100% personal opinion. Personally I go for a slightly cleaner more idealized look, but I troop alot and that's what the fans want to see. For a display piece, I'd get it all banged up like the screen suits.

With regards to one of your specific examples, for the lenses in my trooping bucket, I am putting the more accurate green acetate as a layer over a more sturdy green welding shield. That way it looks more accurate from the outside (they see the shiny green lenses), but the shield ensures people cannot see in with or without flash photography.

Ā 

I'd say I'm incorporating as many "screen accurate" elements as I think will help with the overall look -- without being impractical. Rivets on the sides, the proper types and width of elastic where we know they were used, etc. But I'm using a more comfortable batting helmet liner in the helmet, the screen mesh in the frown, velcro on the back of the calves, etc. And my trooping helmet is not white painted HDPE, it's molded HIPS. So, it's a balance. But I think when all is said and done, most people will look at it and say "that's pretty accurate!" without realizing it's somewhat idealized. I think that's a good way for me to approach it, personally.

Chris has the same idea I do. I want to make sure I "look" like I came off the set, but I want the armor to be more comfortable than be 100% accurate. I want someone to say "That is a great looking trooper!" Rather than saying "Hey? You know it looks like your paint is chipping?" Kudos for the guys that have gone all out and reproduced the chipped paint and HDPE color showing through, but that is not for me. Maybe in the future when I want something to display in my office. But for trooping I want a suit that looks like we just got dropped planet side to enforce the empire's will. Scratches and smudges will be ok, as I do not think the quartermaster is going to issue a replacement just because some little teddy bear whacked me with a pointed stick ;)

For myself i like " prop accurate".

So how the suits was build and looked like in original.

At the old movies it's easy, because they not worked with many CGI and a lot of the set's and prop's were realy made.

So the suits and sets look in movie like in real.

And to make it prop accurate is more harder, because of the buliding of the suits.

Not only look a like , i want to be copy it 1:1.

Inside and outside.

Ā 

But i have a Problem with the new movies.

I have a EP. 3 Vader also.

Here again i prefer the " prop accurate" which is not indentic with the movie accurate.

Because of the many CGI in the newer movies.

I build now since over 2 years and there a lot of things i want to change , but not find the parts for it.

I've gotten mixed responses from my stated intention to use the film costumes as a starting point for something symmetrical and idealized. To the purists, I point out that I'm not making prop replicas, I'm making costumes. And I want my costumes to -- in this case -- look like something machine-designed and machine-made by an impersonal Empire. No room for quirks or personality there. I want to build Stormtroopers that actually look like they evolved from the Clonetroopers.

Ā 

Master Replicas cobbled together a symmetcial helmet from cues on both sides of an ANH hero (IIRC). I'm using one of those and a few TE2s to work with. The MR CE for helping with symmetry on the TE2s, the TE2s to correct sizing and shape issues on the MR CE. Modding them all toward a happy (for me) medium.

Ā 

My costuming philosophy has always been "more accurate than the film/TV version". I'm well aware of the limitations of the medium, and how wardrobers often (but not always) get something just to the point that it will look okay blurring past on screen for a few seconds, but since those won't stand up to the close scrutiny of a face-to-face meeting at a con or parade, I demand something better of my work. I want to look not like I just stepped out of the screen, but like I just stepped out of that universe.

Ā 

--Jonah

"more accurate than the film/TV version"

Ā 

"That's impossible....even for a computer" :P

Ā 

For me, it has to be 100% screen accurate. That means using the same materials, assembly and hardware that was used back in 1976 when the original ANH armour was made. You cannot be screen accurate any other way IMO.

Ā 

I love for my helmets to have paint chips....to be held together with gaffer tape and to to be rough as hell. The original ANH armour and helmets are what I strive to replicate, no matter how bad they look to anyone else, I love them :)

For me, it has to be 100% screen accurate. That means using the same materials, assembly and hardware that was used back in 1976 when the original ANH armour was made. You cannot be screen accurate any other way IMO.

Ā 

I love for my helmets to have paint chips....to be held together with gaffer tape and to to be rough as hell. The original ANH armour and helmets are what I strive to replicate, no matter how bad they look to anyone else, I love them :)

Ā 

Ā 

My thought exactly Paul :D:rolleyes:

Wearable that can take up close inspection. Screen accurate is awesome, but not always practical.

Ā 

I love my new Ghostbuster costume. It is by far my most "Prop accurate" costume I have save for Vader. The builds though are far different. My Vader is rather robust, while the GB is not. Both are accurate, but one is better suited for costume wear. Vader.

Ā 

Now as far as TK... Thing with me is what TK are you trying to replicate? Almost every trooper is different. So its a gamble anyway. Looks the part and is close, good to me on the TK. Vader I shoot for the ESB Promo look. That way I nail it as close as I can. Easier target. So many TK changes trooper to trooper, you have to just aim at one and be happy. Not every trooper is assembly line made. I like low and mid brow helmets, ESB troopers.

Ā 

My new Vader cape and robe is in the mail... I am a glove mod and belt assembly away from my dream costume. Soon.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: Screen accurate as I can get.

My thought exactly Paul :D:rolleyes:

Ā 

Same here guys :duim: 100% agree with you. The funniest thing is when I got friends at home and they see the helmets upclose... their faces are hilarious...because sometimes they believe they are a super-cheap replicas. Most of of them have an idealized vision of them and do not concieve they are not simetric.

Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

A

Let me add that I have tremendous respect and admiration for the people who can and do make dead-on screen-accurate reproductions of anything from film or TV. It takes dedication, an eye for detail, and a lot of skill. I'm only saying that I personally don't have any interest in owning original or reproduction props. Any weapons I have on my wall, or armour or uniforms I have in my closet, I want to look every bit as well-designed and well-made as my terrestrial/contemporary(ish) items.

Ā 

--Jonah

I'm starting from scratch again. I have had X2 FX rig's and X2 types of lid's. FX and RT. The way I see it is what do you want. To join the 501st? To troop in? Just for the 'man cave"? I just have a few more parts to come in and I'll start both an EP3 all white Clone, and a TK ANH and do the build at the same time for both. Even in the movies the armor don't match up. Bubble len's or flat. Dark tint or Flat green. If I could just see a little bit better I would go with the bubble lens. As far as the green len's I just get one hell of a migraine after just one hour wearing them. I'm going with "safty" first. That in the end is how I'm going to go with my two builds. You have to be able to see and move if your going to troop in them. Why go to the trouble building a full armor/helmet set-up if you have to put it on "in place" and then take baby step's to one spot and then just stand there. I picked up one of the MR TK bucket's when they first came out. Not once did I feel any need to mod the stuffing out of it to really wear it. I polish it now and then and it from the outside look's cool. And that's all it's for. Screen look go's with safty first better.

Hmmmm Interesting points.

Personally i am a little promiscuous in this area. I am forced to settle with what I can get ā€¦.. As much as I would love to be a passionate as TM or Firebladejedi force as close as 100%, I do have to come to terms that living in the out rim ( Third world country) I donā€™t have access to many items and supplies as most do. So I have to settle with what I can. Take painting for example we donā€™t have primers down hereā€¦. Really the only primer available for sell is for priming woodā€¦.. I guess it could work, but not worth trying to see if it does. Scratch build E-11, in my country there isnā€™t the specific diameter PVC pipe or metal one that one needs so one needs to learn to compromise. But I do believe in trying to get as close as one can with what he/she has at hand at the moment.

Functionality is a must to, as far as trooping goes.

I rather have a set that is the closest to screen accurate but without compromising the confortability in troops.

Ā 

I go for a balance in both. I hate flaws and bumps, flays and gaffer tape since mi ideal of the imperial army rigs is symetrical, confortable armor instead of ''movie production difficulties" armor. That's why I love my MR CE Helmet so much... it's molded perfection!

I find the views here about screen accuracy and health and safety and the worry about parts falling off particularly funny.. just for the sake of having a few rivets and subtly placed snaps, bodge tape or the odd plaster doesnt mean your gear will be uncomfortable or likely to be unsuitable for hours of trooping :)

Ā 

It just adds an extra layer of realism to a set of white plastic. I bet half the people meeting me at events dont even notice a couple of snaps in my armour, the flaky paint on my black chelsea boots or the fact that nothing holds the rear of my shins closed :D

Ā 

But whatever you do, dont ask me what the plaster on my belt is for :o