Classic "Tall Trooper" Syndrome

Hi everyone, I'm Geoff. This seems like a great community, and it's an honor to be able to share everyone's knowledge and experiences. :)

I was wondering what the "longest" armor is in terms of arms and legs. I'm 6' 4", 200lbs, and I have fairly long limbs. I thought about going FX, due to hearing it's oversized, but i need length, not girth (I never thought I'd say that in the context of star wars :P ) especially in the thigh and calf area. I was also planning on rolling headless FX and upgrading to an AP or a tleast an MRCE bucket, but I'm now thinking it might look odd because the helmet would be too small compared to my proportions. I'd really rather avoid the FX helmet. Are all of the more screen accurate (the SDS, AP, TE2, etc) helmets the same size or are some larger than others? I'm also hearing that the RT-Mod armor is larger than the FX and yet more accurate? Does this mean for people with larger builds or for taller people?

Many thanks :D

I think fx or rt mod will suit you fine.

Here i am with TK 4999 at CE, im in mufti's, he is about 6'6 and prob the tallest trooper i have met :)

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Whatever suit of armor you go with, I would always recommend against the FX helmet. As time goes by it will no longer be 501st approved, from what the Rumor Mill tells me.

And from what I know, the thigh pieces on the FX are little bit shorter then more movie accurate suites such as AP, TE2 or TM.

I am 6'1" and I am currently rockin' the FX with the MRCE, movie accurate aside, they do look nice together.... For an FX kit that is.

There's also the ANHv2.5 helmet. I'm currently working on one myself. Its the second biggest helmet, but its more accurate in proportions than the FX. The only thing that sucks is its rotocast so you'll have to paint it.

you can see pics in my WIP thread.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Welcome.

RT-Mod is slightly larger than FX in terms of both length and girth. It was specifically sculpted with bigger guys in mind. There's a thread here somewhere with some RT vs FX comparison photos. Regardless, you'll have to accept that at your height you'll have more undersuit showing than someone who is closer to screen-accurate height (around 5'10"). Typical problem among taller troopers, myself included.

Best to avoid the FX bucket, it's still Legion-accepted but is quickly falling out of favor.

I'm 6'3" and use the FX thighs. I want to try the RT thighs. From some pics, it looks like they may actually be a bit bigger.

I've also got a little project that I'm SLOWLY working on. I am extending a spare set of thighs. If it works out, I'd be happy to do it again for someone else. It would remove the need for any shim, make them longer for less black, and perhaps even a little more better shape than the standard FX thigh. I don’t know…

It does require a paint job, so either you would have to paint your armor to match or live with possible multiple shades of white.

I've also got a little project that I'm SLOWLY working on. I am extending a spare set of thighs. If it works out, I'd be happy to do it again for someone else. It would remove the need for any shim, make them longer for less black, and perhaps even a little more better shape than the standard FX thigh. I don’t know…

I'm really looking forward to seeing how that comes out.

Custom sculpt or...?

no, it's more of a mod. I'll take some pics and when I get a little further, I'll create a thread in the mod area. I don't know if it will turn out or what. It's not been "easy", but I think it will be cool.

no, it's more of a mod. I'll take some pics and when I get a little further, I'll create a thread in the mod area. I don't know if it will turn out or what. It's not been "easy", but I think it will be cool.

I'd be really interested in this, I'm starting to dislike my 'black gaps' at the top and bottom of my FX thighs, especially when I see photo's with shorter troopers. Being 6'2" is good just not for TKing!

I would also like to see the comparison pics between the Armors too, to see what is longest.

I really like the rest of my FX and I don't have the money to replace my whole armor so could I mix a different make of thigh (and shin?) with it?

Colour match issues?

Apologies for the hijack BTW

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Im 6.3 and my first armor was fx and it did not fit me nice...i am slim/normal build...a then bought a screenaccurate armor and it fits me so much better...trust me...it look tons better..less black undersuit every where and the kneeplate does not bother me...DO NOT BUY THE FX....

I am 6'4" and about 225. I'm not a bodybuilder and I'm not chunky. I asked the makers of the 2 largest suits a lot of questions and picked RT-MOD. It is set up for larger troopers and the helmet is even being scaled up now to look in proportion. It is also more accurate than FX. I will have the suit later this month. RT is a great guy and has answered all of my endless questions. Sure the FX kit is cheap compared, but think about in the long run...

I have an AP helmet and I can't even get my head in it! I haven't tried trimming it because it is for display. Who knows how much would have to come off to fit.