DaveTheDane banned.

Daetrin

I have decided to ban him for openly recasting the work of a 501st member. TE2 paid money in a very open transaction for a particular set of molds and Dave recasted it without permission. That's all there is to it. If Dave were a 501st member the most I can do is complain to his GCO, but Dave is not a 501st member and falls out of the protection of the charter. Thus I can do as I deem fit, and given that the 501st does not condone recasting, then I don't condone his behavior and feel I can ban him or suspend him as I see fit's the crime. Given that he had other opportunities to recast other work (e.g. CAP) but did not, and that he did not apologize or destroy his molds, then I feel this is pretty blatant.

Attached is him admitting his deed.

ptrooper.jpg

People can make excuses all they want and try to dance around the issue, but this is something I cannot ignore and even the DIY community was none to pleased by his actions.

If he ever destroys his molds and wants to rejoin the group then I'll be happy to welcome him back.

Well that is your perogative as an admin. My opinions about the recasting aside (which is to say i'm probably not as harsh on it as many people here are) he doesn't seem like a terrible sort. In my opinion all armor makers using molds based off or from molds used by Lucasfilm are "recasting" technically. Regardless I am much more casually interested in costuming than many here and am mostly involved for the community and a love of star wars, not in particular a love of building and assembling TK armor.

It feels like perhaps his heart was in the right place even if he did violate the etiquette surrounding diffrent armor makers. Sorry to see anyone go.

Not very nice..comes always the same bad end if any disussions over resculpting begins...it's a shame that people which are all old enough speak so wich each other.. :(

So same shuckst different day because of this topic.

Those who have recast a CAP (or any other recaster) with their "permission" are no different. Its still part of a tainted line so to speak. To ban this "DavetheDane" fellow, and yet let the others stay idle is... well biased.

I have nothing to do with this dave bloke, but I did find it funny how the main supporters here turned to canibalism when he showed his cards.

So why is it deamed appropriate to recast TE, yet TE2 is a no fly zone? I'm a fan of TE2, and he knows me well enough to see what I'm getting at here.

There is a said 'treaty' between Matt and CAP so it is told, however no proof has ever been shown. TE says "There's no such thing"... So as per usual its still word against word.

well what happens a 100 times again and again is that people or authorities buy recasts from known recasters but never agree they would! Then they say openly they are against recasters and judge others. What a waste of time it is saying the truth to people that are two faced ! But maybe new members that are not familiar with all this lying constructions will learn it.

Out them then, you cannot complain no one listens unless you try it.

If they are two faced and playing the field, then list their forum names... I'm sure both "hobbies" would care to know who they are infact dealing with.

what I wanted to say is how ironic it is. I don't want to play the childish games that happen and stay as a observer sorry. Trust is what's missing in general and that is what I want to keep alive on the DIY forum.

I took no pleasure in this. Dave was the first hat trick Elite and always a good chap on these boards. However he knows the rules; what's allowed and what's not.

He broke them not out of ignorance, but with full knowledge of what he was doing. Worse, he tried to deny what he was doing, and only when he was called out did he confess.

Lastly - and this is a sore point with me as well - he sold his costumes and went inactive, but never once dropped me a line about it to adjust his membership. I had to ping both his GCO and Legion staff to confirm.

The truth comes out eventually - people shouldn't act surprised when it does.

well what happens a 100 times again and again is that people or authorities buy recasts from known recasters but never agree they would! Then they say openly they are against recasters and judge others. What a waste of time it is saying the truth to people that are two faced ! But maybe new members that are not familiar with all this lying constructions will learn it.

If you got something against me you better bring your facts brother. I know exactly what I bought, when I bought it, and where these things ended up. I have facts and copies of emails. What do you have?

As for the Matt/CAP agreement, there is more than just words. Alas both people have questionable characters at times. Want to count how many times Matt has deceived people?

So bring it on if you will, but you best have your evidence 100% solid.

well done on yer Paul

although, I find it odd that the 501 charter would serve to protect this recaster if he were a 501 member, but due to his lack of membership, you are able to do what is the obviously the right thing to do.

I can se how your hands may be tied by this charter. but from the outside - this almost reads that if you are a recaster and part of the 501 its ok (cos we admit it wrong, but will not waste our time dealin with it) but if you are a recaster but NOT part of te 501 - oooooo thats bad.

at least in this case - the right thing has been done.

Nate

Yes, it's a weird quirk of the charter but it's how it is. FYI there is movement to get a proper definition of recasting in the 501st, so I suspect we'll see something come to vote soon enough that will level this field.

well done on yer Paul

although, I find it odd that the 501 charter would serve to protect this recaster if he were a 501 member, but due to his lack of membership, you are able to do what is the obviously the right thing to do.

I can se how your hands may be tied by this charter. but from the outside - this almost reads that if you are a recaster and part of the 501 its ok (cos we admit it wrong, but will not waste our time dealin with it) but if you are a recaster but NOT part of te 501 - oooooo thats bad.

at least in this case - the right thing has been done.

Nate

The charter was just amended last year with disciplinary restrictions for 501st members among other things. I was publically against it and even created a please don't support this in the 501st area. But it passed and here we are.

It is difficult to have someone who could add so much to the community bring this upon himself, but just like in the attached screen shot above, he did bring it upon himself.

I don't envy the hard choices you've had to make in the past, Paul, but these kind of things must be done to insure the community as a whole is improved.

If you got something against me you better bring your facts brother. I know exactly what I bought, when I bought it, and where these things ended up. I have facts and copies of emails. What do you have?

As for the Matt/CAP agreement, there is more than just words. Alas both people have questionable characters at times. Want to count how many times Matt has deceived people?

So bring it on if you will, but you best have your evidence 100% solid.

Why do you think I have something against you?? Are you the only authority? Like I said and I repeat I want to show how ironic it is and not attack someone. There is no discussion I wanted to provocate. Stay cool ;)

Why do you think I have something against you?? Are you the only authority? Like I said and I repeat I want to show how ironic it is and not attack someone. There is no discussion I wanted to provocate. Stay cool ;)

B)

Lock this thread down.

The DL made a decision, and that is the decision.

I will resist the urge to snipe some comments on this thread that would land me in doo doo.

This is a 501st forum, and you follow 501st rules like it or not.

Well, nobody bite my head off. Just putting a differing opinion out there since it seems there is a universal condemnation of recasting. To me it seems that most legitimate casters got there molds from somewhere, or worked at building their own molds from scratch. Yet why is there so much possessiveness? None of these molds belong to any of these recasters. By the very act of selling their molds they are violating Lucasfilms IP rights.

It seems like there is just so much bitterness surrounding recasting and i'm confused as to why. Why does TE2 need to "belong" to TE2 when in actuality he doesn't in anyway really own either the artistic or actual rights to the product he is selling. Same goes for all casters. Unless I am missing something important which is entirely possible. It seems to make more sense to me to just open up the whole hobby (at least on the internal side) instead of being so callous about it every new caster should be supported and their product should be held up against others whether recasted or made from original molds and then a sort of free market capitalism can grow (or something)

In the end, this is a hobby that depends on the people that go out of their way to make molds. I feel that a little good natured competition wouldn't neccesarily hurt anyone.

In other words, why not just not be angry about recasting, not make such a big deal out of it and not allow such negative emotional backlash to build up.

*runs for cover*

here is the thing. tk armor has some really sketchy beginings,. 10 different guys lay claim to THE best tk armor. now, some of that armor has been recasted so many times i have a hard time trying to figure out who made what. that still does not make it right to buy some te2 armor aned start producing te2 ripoff armor. te2 paid for the molds and rights to make that armor. by the time you build a vactable, buy rubber , the hydrocal and the plastic to make suits , you could have bought 5 sets of te2 armor anyways.

now on scratch built props is a whole different ball of wax. when someone does that they produce helmets and armor from nothing but pictures in movies. if i sculpt something from scratch and you buy one and start making copys , i would be livid. you did not spend months trying to get that prop looking right. if you want a make a scratch made prop that is the same as i am doing , i say go for it. but do not take the easy way out and just throw rubber on mine and call it your own.

that is the problem i have with recasters , it is a short cut and dishonest to the guy that sweated and cryed trying to bring that propr to life so you could play stormtrooper or what ever.

now i am going to run for cover :)

Well, nobody bite my head off. Just putting a differing opinion out there since it seems there is a universal condemnation of recasting. To me it seems that most legitimate casters got there molds from somewhere, or worked at building their own molds from scratch. Yet why is there so much possessiveness? None of these molds belong to any of these recasters. By the very act of selling their molds they are violating Lucasfilms IP rights.

It seems like there is just so much bitterness surrounding recasting and i'm confused as to why. Why does TE2 need to "belong" to TE2 when in actuality he doesn't in anyway really own either the artistic or actual rights to the product he is selling. Same goes for all casters. Unless I am missing something important which is entirely possible. It seems to make more sense to me to just open up the whole hobby (at least on the internal side) instead of being so callous about it every new caster should be supported and their product should be held up against others whether recasted or made from original molds and then a sort of free market capitalism can grow (or something)

In the end, this is a hobby that depends on the people that go out of their way to make molds. I feel that a little good natured competition wouldn't neccesarily hurt anyone.

In other words, why not just not be angry about recasting, not make such a big deal out of it and not allow such negative emotional backlash to build up.

*runs for cover*

well the answer would be the one who owns the first generation molds paid a lot for the rights and molds together. There are no rights anyway that can be paid for in real but it's a point of view if you ignore LFL or not. Also it's a good question why someone should pay so much money for wrong rights ;) If no one would pay a lot for wrong rights the recasting discussion weren't that complicated because everyone is.