Arafinwe's RT-Mod build[*RT]

Hey all,

Yesterday, after a few months of waiting, I finally got my helmetless RT-Mod kit:

TK001.jpg

(yes I know a shoulder strap is missing, it fell out of the box and was out in my car :P )

Everything looks great, expect for a few areas. On the chest there are some "ripples" in the plastic that are somewhat noticeable to the naked eye. Is there anyway to fix this, like maybe sanding these areas smooth with a fine grit and bring back the shine with some novus? I'd really rather not have to paint it. The ripples are hard to photograph but here are some shots:

ripple1.jpg

ripple2.jpg

So, any ideas on how to fix this?

• 3 weeks later...

So yesterday before nightfall I was able to paint my MRCE which I have been working on for the past few weeks. I didn't bother taking any in progress pictures since I basically followed Noel's MRCE overhaul to a t, other thank keeping the ears that came with the MRCE and thinning them. I painted it with the infamous Rustoleum High Performance White, so all I can do is look at it for a few days.

Here is how it looks right now:

DSCN0920.jpg

As for my armor its scattered all over my house, clamped together with some E6000 entering its first hour or so of drying. I should have a test fit picture up in a few days!

• 2 weeks later...

So long time no update!

My dad took these, and this was his first time using a digital camera (ever). All things considered I think he did a good job. So please excuse my funny faces, the sun was in my eyes and I had no idea when he was taking pictures or not.

DSCN0949.jpg

DSCN0948.jpg

DSCN0947.jpg

Problems I see:

-Shoulder bells are sagging too far away from the straps (fixing)

-Biceps are too low (going to try adding foam to the inside of them, if that doesn't work I will add a strap that connects them to the shoulder bell)

-Back plate is off center (fixing)

-Thighs are a little ajar (fixed)

-Shims on the thighs are a little crooked (fixed)

-Sniper plate is stuck inside thigh (heating it up and bending it outwards slightly)

I am thinking about reshaping the chest a little bit with a heat gun, so it flares out a little more, or at the very least adding some elastic straps to hopefully pull things a little more tightly.

Opinions?

Hi Hayes.

Your MRCE lid looks superb ( much better than mine )

Does your sniper knee plate have any packing behind it. I glued a small piece of rubber behind mine to push it forward. This stops it going behind the thigh.

Darren TK4841

• 2 months later...

Hey all, I finally got around to finishing up my armor. I got into the 501st today, so now I am setting my sights to the EIB. I realized I'm a little large for a stormtrooper, so that's a "mod" I am working on right now :D So, what do you guys think? See anything that could use some work?

DSC01594.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

DSC01598.jpg

DSC01599.jpg

DSC01595.jpg

DSC01612.jpg

The strap system I have for the thighs is something I need to adjust, but its as it is right now. I also realize my chest piece could probably do with some more fanning out with a heat gun, but I want to see what religiously hitting the gym for a month with calorie counting does for me before I bend it out more. Wish me luck!

Thanks Shawn! I really like my RT-Mod suit. My only complaint is the way is was trimmed. RT trimmed the suit to be assembled the "standard" way of just overlapping the halves of the armor, but since I wanted to assemble my armor the "accurate" way of laying a strip over the two halves of the leg and arm pieces I had some trouble here and there. Does that make sense? Also Rob included no extra ABS so I had to buy a sheet on my own to make my strips and shims (which didn't match so I had to paint them). If/when I order a second kit I would ask him not to trim the suit that way and include some extra ABS.

On the whole though I am really happy with it. Its more accurate than FX, and is more flattering on us "big guys", especially the chest plate. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to have accurate armor but doesn't have an accurate body type. Its worth the wait and the price!

Also good call on the TE2, I bought my MRCE on impulse and regretted it once I set foot in this forum. The newest version of the RT-Mod helmet is worth looking at though, IMO, especially if you have a big head!