Flexible TM armour

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a guy (piratetrooper) on ebay selling Flexible HIPS armor. Don't know who he is or where his stuff came from, any info?

Ebay Link

That is DaveTheDane - a former 501st member who is banned from FISD for recasting TE2.

One more question regarding the armour, many people seem to put return edges on their armour to give it the added thickness look...

Would it be possible to do the same with your flexi armour, or would using a modelling/sealing iron be a bad bad thing?

ta

It may be flexible, but is it unbreakable?

No, it's not. I have the same glossy HIPS type suit (a CAP suit), and the knee plate did crack during assembly (really my own fault, not the part). The face plates and cap n back are also vulnerable and can crack when demolding. I've put less stress on the other parts.

Not that it is not highly durable stuff, but I would not classify as unbreakable.

No, it's not. I have the same glossy HIPS type suit (a CAP suit), and the knee plate did crack during assembly (really my own fault, not the part). The face plates and cap n back are also vulnerable and can crack when demolding. I've put less stress on the other parts.

Not that it is not highly durable stuff, but I would not classify as unbreakable.

Just as I thought.

I have a full suit of glossy 1.5mm HIPS which I made a couple of years ago and even though it does flex quite a bit, it does crack when flexed too far. This new plastic can be bent over backwards and will not break. I will have to get a couple of photos to show just how good this new armour will be.

A correction/retraction -- apparently the cap and back are not vulnerable, necessarily, when demolding. It's more about technique or the moulds, I guess.

What I should have added earlier, and why I personally love my suit, is that the glossy HIPS -- while not unbreakable -- is, indeed, much more flexible as compared to regular HIPS or ABS. It will be very interesting to see how Paul's suit compares.

• 1 month later...

Any new info on this armor, Paul? (I found this thread while looking up info on the PT armor - what a shame)

I'm another "someday soon" Noob on a budget, but am hoping to see where this one is headed and whether or not it'll make the final list of armor choices for me.

- Berban