What is recasting and when is it bad

--'kay, please forgive me if I enter a "bad territory" here.

but as I am completety new to all this and I just learned about the "recast wars", one question came to me:

Please help to enlighten me:

A recast show softer details. Right.

The last few days I have been watching at A LOT of helmets from differnt makers. But I still don't find so many differnces (despite differnt "cap 'n backs")

Does some have a direct/side-by-side picture comparison? (helmet, armor) with big circles so I can finally see?

I keep looking at my original AP bucket and at some ESB CAP pics... But my AP seems softer ?!?!??! WTF?

Please, I want to learn, And I have 30+ years of trooper history to learn (I added a lot of new vocabulary to my english. :) )

If this is kind of a "no-no thread" please ignore and delete

Karin

PS: BTW: I love this forum. A LOT helpful and nice people here. I is a real please to be around here.

Recasting is a process whereby someone takes a prop that has already been made and makes a copy of it. Props are sometimes 100% fan created, sometimes are found items (e.g. a henglster counter that they bought), or from a private collector prop such as a screen used helmet that someone bought at auction.

The whole argument against recasting is to protect prop makers that we depend on for our hobby, pure and simple. Let's take the case of a fan made item such as TM's armor. He put an awful lot of labor in to making this and by selling copies does the rest of us a favor, as creating your own fan sculpted armor is out of reach for most folks. By recasting his work it is a dis-incentive for him and others who do fan made props to offer anything up for sale. No fan made props heavily curtails our ability to enjoy our hobby. So member of this community go out of their way to protect this person's art work as we'd like to be recipients of his labors.

The same holds true for someone who buys a prop at auction. They own the item, and if they cast and sell it the community protects their interests in exchange for him selling them to us.

On the other hand, some people don't care about being recasted. As has been noted recast items tend to be of inferior quality, so it's up to people to decide what they want to buy.

Also, some people kind of opt out of the community and lose the protection of the community. Some retire, some sell their work, and some just make such an an impolite person of themselves in terms of integrity that they are – for lack of a better word – excommunicated.

In the end it’s about reciprocity. The community protects folks who add value to our hobby, and by value I mean not just the goods but also the service we receive. Recasting TE or CAP is pretty acceptable because TE has pretty much pissed off everyone and has thus “exited” our community. CAP because he just doesn’t care, and also that he recasted someone who is not “in the community”. If CAP had recasted TM then I can assure you people would not be favorable of people recasting CAP either.

People bring up the whole LFL angle but their assumptions are not correct. The 501st in a way does pay a “royalty” for the props we consume from the non-licensed community. We have to make no profit or take payment for anything we do, and have to abide by a code of conduct. This is the implicit “contract” that allows us to do what we do.

OK, CAP on the left and VT on the right. I've circled parts where, in my opinion, there are soft details (other parts may be comparable in sharpness to other helmets.)

-----------

Now, compare the same parts with the image I put in my previous post. But bear in mind that the flash and the fact that the helmets are not painted doesn't help to evaluate them. The best would be all unpainted helmets with natural light and same angle on camera.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Amish Trooper said:
I have a CAP helmet that has crazy sharp detail pulled in 80g. I will post it here before and after it is painted

p.s VT's molds were made by CAP

Agree 100%. I owned a CAP(ESB) helmet and I can tell you that it is very, very sharp and very thick, actually the thickest one I have seen around so far. I have other helmets in my collection from different makers and the CAP one is super-detailed.

http://whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6669

Cheers

A

ESB_CAP_01.thumb.jpg.46779ebbf940b25481622b575b5f9c69.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Also, some people kind of opt out of the community and lose the protection of the community. Some retire, some sell their work, and some just make such an an impolite person of themselves in terms of integrity that they are – for lack of a better word – excommunicated.

In the end it’s about reciprocity. The community protects folks who add value to our hobby, and by value I mean not just the goods but also the service we receive. Recasting TE or CAP is pretty acceptable because TE has pretty much pissed off everyone and has thus “exited” our community.

Dude, not cool in the least.

I consider gino and richie to be total POS's who've done no different, but I would never advocate recasting them.

How else do you explain the phenomenon then? This is my interpretation of the behavior I see.

I'm not questioning your interpretation. But that's no reason to take a public position excusing recasters if they hit the "right" people. TE is the reason we have something to work with that doesn't look like recast Marco, whether he's polite or not does nothing to dismiss that.

The official position is "Not condoned nor policed" You just condoned recasting.

To be clear Joey, I'm not excusing anything. My post was an attempt to explain the behavior I see, nothing more.

Whomever is in the market to get such goods.

EDIT: actually this is partially true. There are sub-groups of this too. There are places in this hobby where no one cares about recasting, and ones where it's strictly watched and forbidden.