Armour Master List

Ok, now I'm still a very young TK wannabe who's looking for some armour :huh: . Just finished my E11 blaster up to spec (check the Blasters and BFG forums ;) ).

I've spent the past half year checking this forum out for armour and I guess I got a pretty solid vision on casters, recasters and whatever.

Now I don't want to start a flamewar, but maybe get a list of known recasters (might need staff approval on those verdicts...) based on the people selling armor right now. Just to protect the peeps from buying 2nd-grade bantha poodoo instead of freshly baked ABS or HIPS from the real deal. So that if someone finds a recast, it can be added to the list.

Armor History? It does not matter! Not for me. I'm like that nasty little Toydarian on Tatooine... I only look at money and...podraces?... Well you get the gist. We can generalize on the more darker areas in the armour history, but what I'm trying to say is... I see so many people wondering: "Can I fit this armor?" "Which one is more screen accurate?" "What are the sizes?" "Do I need shimming?" Heck, I asked those very same questions, and I sure a lot of newbies here do the same!

So why hasn't there been a master list with dimensions, level of accuracy etc. of armours?

That way some troopers here could choose for their own if they go for comfort or for accuracy.

I mean, I can find RT-mod dimensions just by browsing the forums, but it takes time.

I'm not doing this to spike out some of the casters here on the forums, it's just a sort of... Ombudsman

It would really streamline the forums a bit, I reckon.

Anyways, it is just an idea. Albeit ambitious, I think it'll help a lot of people in the long run. I am sure a lot of the casters would like to help out with this incentive?

Have some standardized pics of different sets of armour pieces all put next to eachother (be it a collage or an actual photo with all of them on it) with dimensions so people can actually see what they're buying. I for one, am still at a crossroads on what to buy for my birthday this December. With most of the armours across the Pacific I want to think thrice before I purchase one of those!

I know starwarshelmets.com has a database on this, but I am not sure if it contains TE2 or whatever. Either way I think this should belong on the FISD, especially if we're here to help the new troops get in their armour.

Well, do with it what you want.

Merugear signing off, trying to make the FISD a better place for all of us :) (which is pretty much the best place for all of us allready :rolleyes: )

There is a reason why there isn't a master list

Well, no need to keep us waiting for an answer :huh: I mean if it is to prevent recasters from copying details. Ok I get that. But just dimensions? Like: The max dims for people wearing AP without shimming is XX" (fictional number, not the Roman 20 :P)

There is a reason why there isn't a master list

Actually this is debatable. I'm in favor of creating at least a list of who the armors are as we pretty much regurgitate this info anyway for new people every time it's asked. Other dets have similar lists.

It's under discussion in the staff area - I seem to be the only one who thinks it's fine.

No i second that, but all u need is 10-15 min with the search box on the top right hand of the page and u get the same info......

But i do think that we should have something done at the moument of jion the detachemnet that states to do`s and donts, may be only opening a few areas ( read first areas) and then have a validation code send to enter the rest. the main problem is that a good % of newcomers arent reading the "read first areas" and not useing there search option ( at least for me that is/has been priceless)

LOL started stating one thing and ended up somewere else.....:)

Most of the questions yourself and 100 other newbies ask is available here in one form or another, i know people say it all the time and some people think we are being rude.. but read, read, read and then read some more before buying armour :)

If you take 5 mins to browse the main 501st site there is a quick question and answer session and this is one of the more popular amongst them here.

Where do you get those costumes?

Our costumes are the result of careful research, fabrication and a lot of hard work. The majority of our costume components are hand built and assembled in our spare time. Given that the likenesses portrayed by these costumes are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm, it must be stressed that the 501st Legion does not provide or manufacture costumes for purchase.

This is a sticky issue and 1 we are trying to come to an aggrement over like Paul said :)

all u need is 10-15 min with the search box on the top right hand of the page and u get the same info......

I understand, and it could be seen as a sort of separating the crops from the chaff (or however that proverb goes) to see if someone's truly determined to his or her cause. Now I'm partial about this as I understand the FISD and 501st would surely like to stick with a sort of exclusivity, hence the reluctance of some people to post information regarding the acquirement of white armour. And then there's the legal issue. But what I'm proposing is nothing more but a... catalog I reckon to see what kinds of armours are for sale and what would be the best choice for each individual person. I mean this is an expensive hobby and how many have bought either a recast or a suit they're not so happy with and had to stick with it mainly because of monetary reasons? I know people could just PM the respective creators of the suits and ask for a pricelist or whatever they want (heck, most casters can tell I did. But there are so many people on the boards here that ask the same questions. (I know about not posting prices here, so no worries, it was just an example).

Now pointing them to the Search option's not going to solve anything. Every time there's a new person out here someone has to regurgitate the information that's quite common knowledge around these boards. And the thing is, there are some crazy sods who're looking for a cheap costume to go as stormtrooper without any intention of going to join the 501st or whatever. Some just go Dur hurr white armor :rolleyes: and you'll never hear from them again. My idea was that if we'd categorise those armours, people'd be quicker to find their match be it for accuracy, comfort, price or whatever. I just think it saves a lot of people a lot of time, and in these times... Time is money. And (enough) money's a new stormtrooper gear ;). Visuals help too! I mean you could read about FX having a big noggin' but if you could actually see them systematically compared to other buckets or the bibs.... front chestplates... I think it would help out a lot of people. And heck, put it in a protected newbie forum with a disclaimer and register-only for all I care :huh: .

Just my 2 cents :ewok1: .

Vincent.

I totally agree with Vincent on this. I honestly feel the secrecy about getting info is ridiculous. We don't need to post prices online since they probably fluctuate, but Lucasfilm won't be jumping down anyone's neck if they find out they are selling this stuff on the side. If they wanted to find these people they could very easily with or without us publishing their info online.

Why not put this info together? If it's easier to find, the sellers could make more money and that's only a good thing for them. I suggest that even if this board decides not to put this info here, someone should post it somewhere online. That way when us newbie's come we can at least reply with a "check out this link to learn everything you need to know".

You should see this hobby several years ago... no info at all, secrecy... it was no fun, I tell you. Specially if you were in a country far, far away from the USA as I was. :D

But even then, the best source of info was the 501st members. Many troopers gave me valuable information back then.

I'm (hopefully) entering the Legion this year, but been around, lurking, for a long time (several years in fact,) and I'm amazed at the quantity of info around, at plain view, in many pages and sites. Everyone is just a Google away from sites like starwarshelmets.com, tk1336.com, tk 300's site, tk560.com, tk409.com, etc. (to name just a few.)

It's confusing at first, too many acronyms, too much info to read, but those who share the love for this hobby find the answers eventually.

There's no way to prevent people from doing impulse buys. I bought my SDS helmet that way. :blush: Or from buying crappy inaccurate armor or Stay Puft Marshmallow Man recasts.

While for some people that could be a real disaster, other people is just happy with a Rubies or Softie's Soft FX and not being part of the 501st.

But rest assured that the FISD staff will always try to give the best info around about anything TK related. :)

Edit:

I totally agree with Vincent on this. I honestly feel the secrecy about getting info is ridiculous. We don't need to post prices online since they probably fluctuate, but Lucasfilm won't be jumping down anyone's neck if they find out they are selling this stuff on the side. If they wanted to find these people they could very easily with or without us publishing their info online.

Why not put this info together? If it's easier to find, the sellers could make more money and that's only a good thing for them. I suggest that even if this board decides not to put this info here, someone should post it somewhere online. That way when us newbie's come we can at least reply with a "check out this link to learn everything you need to know".

Tell that to GF or AA... <_<

I have the following idea about copyright holders, and would like to see if I'm on the right track or not.

If I'm not wrong, in the US copyright holders have to actively enforce their rights, in order to not lose them.

That means, if LFL does not sue a clear copyright infringement on their property, they may lose the right to their stuff.

I've read that Lucas likes the 501st, but on the other hand he doesn't want to lose his copyrights on SW property. So, as long as it's not too evident, he can look the other way and make like nothing's happening.

But as long as something becomes too evident he's obliged to send his lawyers.

So, that's why I'm personally against using eBay, unless it's a personal thing (like selling your one armor.)

It's too evident, and you're risking a lot.

For that same reason there's no site dedicated to the sale of armor, or catalog or other selling information available.

Am I getting things right?

I've always thought that was the reason this hobby relied on the word of mouth.

You are joking here, right? Or did you miss the case last year Lucasfilm v SDS? And LFL has sent out C&D to other armour makers in the past.. :D

. That way when us newbie's come we can at least reply with a "check out this link to learn everything you need to know".

:huh:

U are in it right now.... it the FISD!!!!!

There is no other place on the web, other then Skywalker ranch it self or LFL warehouses that more info on all that TK.....

Dont want to be rude.... but everything is here in the FISD. and it isnt like it was 2-3 yrs ago. Now a days ppl are really open, so the Rebuttal about secrecy is not accurate. u just need to know how to surf the forum.

Maybe its just us Mark.... :)

:huh:

U are in it right now.... it the FISD!!!!!

There is no other place on the web, other then Skywalker ranch it self or LFL warehouses that more info on all that TK.....

Dont want to be rude.... but everything is here in the FISD. and it isnt like it was 2-3 yrs ago. Now a days ppl are really open, so the Rebuttal about secrecy is not accurate. u just need to know how to surf the forum.

Man that sounds like an argument I'd tell my mom if I had to clean up my room!

Mom, every thing I own is in my room... You just need to know how to see the tidiness.

Just kidding here, but I mean... Yes the information is at hand. But couldn't we just streamline it a teeny bit?

Heck the Alexandrian Library'd be the hub of information in the Old World, but an Index would be handy to sort out the information.

Now I've looked around and it's really not some covered up: Show me where the goods are.

For me, I just want a shot by shot comparison of armour, and their dimensions so I can check up with my own to see which one's to my liking. Now I think it would help a lot of people here.

'We do not intend to use this ruling to discourage our fans from expressing their imagination, creativity and passion for Star Wars through the costumes and props they make for their personal use,' Lucasfilm vice president Howard Roffman said. 'Rather, we see the Court's decision as reaffirming that those who seek to illegally profit from Star Wars will be brought to task, wherever they may be.'

Now in what way are we illegaly profiting from Star Wars by putting up that little comparison chart.

Also, are the casters illegally profiting from Star Wars? If they just charge ABS costs, production costs, design costs etc. to people for items they buy for PERSONAL USE... Isn't that a loophole or just my naievity?

I believe Shepperton got sued cos he claimed he was the one who made the original armour etc. Though there were some LFL designers and sculptors who begged to differ.

But we're deviating. It was just an idea and the ball got rolling. I'll just be wise, shut up and see where it rolls :).

For me, I just want a shot by shot comparison of armour, and their dimensions so I can check up with my own to see which one's to my liking. Now I think it would help a lot of people here.

:huh: Like i said.......

Use the search box "a shot by shot comparison of armour, and their dimensions"

There are numerous older threads that have pics and dimensions.

Any way Merugear, hope this helps. Good luck

I'd like to think that there is a database of armour already available, on my site. However it could be a bit out of date so if there's anything missing then let me know (although the TE2 most certainly is there).

The only stuff thats not there is the "out-and-out no questions asked" recasts. In other words were not talking about stuff that exists in the "grey area" of what different people view as a recast, but those helmets and armour that have clearly been cast from another without any rights/legitimacy or whatever you want to call it.

For the record Lucasfilm are very cool with my site and have never asked me to remove anything - despite certainly having the opportunity. So I dont think a forum like this would have a problem. Lucasfilm are quite supportive of the "fan-made" producers just so long as they don't cross "the line".

And we all know what happens when you cross the line :D

Cheers

Jez

Hey Jez, your site is awesome, but I never knew you had armor info on there until I dug around just now. It would be great if you could get that "armor" icon in your navigation on the left because you really do have a wealth of information!

I was going to say starwarshelmets.com buuuuuut Jez beat me to it. There is alot of info repeated over and over on this and many many sites. An index would be great, however redundant as hell :) I actually chose my first set of armor after surfing for several weeks. Starwarshelmets.com had pics of everyones armor.

It basically comes down to a small grid

Skinny-Medium Build and 5'8" - 6'0 = AP, TE2, TM

Medium build and 6' to 6'10"=FX

Chubby 5'8" to 6' RT-MOD, FX

Fat? Imperial officer uniform :) or TK4510 T-shirt.....which is where I am at :)

Of course there are exceptions... Shims baby, shims!!

FX totally innacurate ABS

AP pretty accurate and ABS

TE2 Styrene and very Accurate

TM ABS and glossy HIPS most accurate

There is a whole host of other makes and types but they come from these armors in recast form of some kind...

Thats about all I can think of. What'd I miss, cause I know I missed something :)

It looks like we have 2 different points being discussed in this thread.

1. Armor comparision, sizing, difference in shaping, what is most accurate, etc. I think this would be a great idea to really show the similarities and differences to the different armors available.

Although it should be noted that just because you're a bigger or smaller trooper doesn't mean you can or can't wear a particular armor. It just means you might need more shimming or trimming. Much of the fit comes in the construction.

2. Armor makers and there contact info. As silly as it sounds, the info should not be out in the open forum. Yes, the argument can be made that the info is readily available if you know where to look and if LFL wanted to hit them with C&D they could within 5 minutes of searching. That's not the point, LFL is only out to stop those who advertise openly it seems (like the AA/SDS Case). LFL is well aware of everyone and knows where we get the armor from, they let us play as long as it's by there rules.

It seems to me that if we encouraged the newer people to contact the detachment staff that would be the best way to get the info out there, but not have it be in the open forum for all to see and to violate LFL's rules.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd like to add my 2cents... I am YET an official TK, however about to purchase my first kit soon... Over the past two years I have done light searching, but more recently in the past two WEEKS have I done extensive searching through FISD, 'sister'/'brother' sites similar to FISD, google, and other TK's that have put up tutorial websites and such... Along the way I have spoken with my local garrison and requested their opinion on what armor they like, which is best for certain conditions, best screen accurate, etc...

However, my point of rambling is that the localizing of re-casters or armor making individuals should be kept how it is... Making it slightly difficult to find what you want, just proves your worthy for the journey ahead... putting something in front of you to give you instant gratification, just does not hold out to be very upholding... Now I'm not bashing anyone by saying this, but as I see it, the research should be done so that the person looking for the buy is at full knowledge of what they are buying... plus I personally think those that will not respect their buying-s would be easier differed by having to do such research... (all said and aside from any LFL conflicts to add to any reason to localize any list as well)

I was going to say starwarshelmets.com buuuuuut Jez beat me to it. There is alot of info repeated over and over on this and many many sites. An index would be great, however redundant as hell :) I actually chose my first set of armor after surfing for several weeks. Starwarshelmets.com had pics of everyones armor.

It basically comes down to a small grid

Skinny-Medium Build and 5'8" - 6'0 = AP, TE2, TM

Medium build and 6' to 6'10"=FX

Chubby 5'8" to 6' RT-MOD, FX

Fat? Imperial officer uniform :) or TK4510 T-shirt.....which is where I am at :)

Of course there are exceptions... Shims baby, shims!!

FX totally innacurate ABS

AP pretty accurate and ABS

TE2 Styrene and very Accurate

TM ABS and glossy HIPS most accurate

There is a whole host of other makes and types but they come from these armors in recast form of some kind...

Thats about all I can think of. What'd I miss, cause I know I missed something :)

Hey probably this is a perfect example why it shouldn't exist!

I'm not an owner of any other armour than a suit of RT-Mod and I can tell you that it is not in the same category as FX :lol:

I'm 6'2 210lbs and nowhere near the word "Chubby" and while I'm assembling my armour I'm looking at 3 different officially published books and a lifesize standup while with a keen eye comparing them to TK 300's and the wealth of photos here on the forums ....this armour is pretty accurate. Maybe not same materials and minor details of the like of TM or TE2 category but its well made. I'm extremely picky and for my size and money it was the perfect fit and many others here agreed and thankfully saved me from a purchase of a rubies catastrophe.

Sorry for the rant but I'm not much of a poster but I have read my fair share of posts here and have learned a heck of alot about armour and details I honestly never paid attention to until now. Thanks guys!!!

It looks like we have 2 different points being discussed in this thread.

1. Armor comparision, sizing, difference in shaping, what is most accurate, etc. I think this would be a great idea to really show the similarities and differences to the different armors available.

Although it should be noted that just because you're a bigger or smaller trooper doesn't mean you can or can't wear a particular armor. It just means you might need more shimming or trimming. Much of the fit comes in the construction.

2. Armor makers and there contact info. As silly as it sounds, the info should not be out in the open forum. Yes, the argument can be made that the info is readily available if you know where to look and if LFL wanted to hit them with C&D they could within 5 minutes of searching. That's not the point, LFL is only out to stop those who advertise openly it seems (like the AA/SDS Case). LFL is well aware of everyone and knows where we get the armor from, they let us play as long as it's by there rules.

It seems to me that if we encouraged the newer people to contact the detachment staff that would be the best way to get the info out there, but not have it be in the open forum for all to see and to violate LFL's rules.

i agree with this completely!