MRCE Brow trim question

Catbread said:
Exacto knife for the parts of the brow trim that didn't come loose right away.

Then I dremelled away the actual brow of the helmet.

how much can you remove before exposing the little "dimple" in the midline that is currently covered by the brow?

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Wow, I didn't even know about that dimple!

It looks like taking more than 3-4mm off would expose the bottom of the dimple. I don't want to have to fill that in and repaint. Not sure if it is worth it to only gain 3mm.

Exacto knife for the parts of the brow trim that didn't come loose right away.

Then I dremelled away the actual brow of the helmet.

Pretty much the same.

As for the dimple, I sanded, sanded, sanded, sanded.. and then sanded some more and it's pretty much gone now. I've heard of others using putty to fill it.

Darth_Brodie said:

Me too, i think i just cut off 2 1/2 mm . it was good enough for me. i didn't want that dimple showing under the helm..

That looks really good. It's slightly higher so it's not resting on the eyes, but not too high to expose the dimple. Is that the original black brow trim that the helmet came with, or did you have to replace it?

I replaced the brow trim with the Seals direct door trim. Its close to impossible to remove the original intact! I didn't want to re-paint my lid so i went with the safest route.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I successfully got my brow trim off in one piece (used a hair dryer to warm up the glue holding it on so it would come off easier), but when I was trimming the actual plastic with my dremel, I scratched the head above the eyes with the tip while I was working.

Does anyone have a suggestion about how to cover up the scratches that doesn't involve sanding and repainting the entire bucket? I'm thinking perhaps a light coat of white caulking over the scratches would hide them?

How much damage did the helmet get? if it's subtle then you can pass it off as mild battle damage from the rebels!.. but seriously it's very hard to touch up or fix damage to a painted bucket without re-painting the part.

If you do manage to find the right white paint color for your bucket then you'll have to fine sand the damaged part with high grit sandpaper like a 3400 grit, then work your way up to 3600,4000,6000,8000, till 12000 grit. after you get the scratch off then repaint the affected part. after drying for about 3 days you can polish it with some Meguire's scratch X.

but again if the damage is slight, i don't think any of the fans would notice anyway ;)

It's a great job so far Ryan. No one would really notice the scratch on top of the eyes anyway. I like what you did to the brow and frown. gives the helmet much more character!

Have you thought of trimming down the ears? It helps loads for the overall look. At first i was content with mine..but as time went by and as i was looking at other helmets the ears on my MRCE looked more like Dumbo ;) But that's just me.

It's a great job so far Ryan. No one would really notice the scratch on top of the eyes anyway. I like what you did to the brow and frown. gives the helmet much more character!

Have you thought of trimming down the ears? It helps loads for the overall look. At first i was content with mine..but as time went by and as i was looking at other helmets the ears on my MRCE looked more like Dumbo ;) But that's just me.

Yeah, I definitely see the thickness in the ears, but it didn't bother me so much as to move me to modify it. I think the ears are a serious bit of work to do from what I've seen here on the boards, and I am such a noobie when it comes to using tools and modifying things that I know I'm just not up to the task. The brow and teeth bugged me the most, but now that they are fixed maybe the ears will irk me enough to move me to action. One thing's for sure, if I do end up trimming them, I'm not doing it alone. I'll grab someone in my garrison who is more skilled than I am!

I'll grab someone in my garrison who is more skilled than I am!

Just ask me for a step by step method anytime. Its still really easy, just make sure you have a dremel ^_^

Just ask me for a step by step method anytime. Its still really easy, just make sure you have a dremel ^_^

Well, I do have a dremel, I would be curious to see your step by step method. If it looks easy enough, I might risk it. :unsure:

I basically just followed this thread for the step by step procedure.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?show...mp;hl=mrce+ears

But if you have more detailed questions i'd be glad to help a fellow trooper out. i'll show you some pics of my MRCE to show the ear difference. i think i removed about 3-4mm on the front of the ears, but barely 2mm at the back part.

The hard part will be the first step, drilling out the ear cap. you'd have to go really deep to remove the plastic that's holding the earcap from the main ear body. don't worry if the hole you drilled gets too big. mine is a size of a quarter :P

Oh and you'll also need to buy some ear screws. the 4-40 flathead machine ones. so that you'll have a way to re-attach the earcaps. unless you want to just glue em' back on :rolleyes:

The most important step is to go slow. :D