working on shoulder straps

I haven't done much work with my TK lately. I started working on this project again. I added some straps made of 2 inch wide webbing. These straps should carry the weight of the chest/back armor. The white ABS straps will cover the webbing, and shouldn't bear much weight. I have a similar set up with my TIE armor.

I have some extra parts and tools that I got from -----while I was working on my Jedi belt. So from Tandy I have ----- and a -----You can also buy these parts ----- I also have a-----from Tandy.

So first I added heavy duty velcro inside the chest and back plates

straps0.jpg

The heavy duty velcro should stick to the webbing

straps1.jpg

but just to be sure, I punched a hole in each corner

straps2.jpg

and drove a rivet into each corner

straps3.jpg

more pictures to follow soon

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Nice going Scott, i look forward to seeing your progress.

If you want to be ultra accurate you could go for white webbing or elastic, but black is good for not being able to notice it under your armour ;)

I like to use both snaps and velcro for double protection.

bIPypLx.jpg

wiK1R0Y.jpg

I am fixing to redo my shoulder straps also. I originally riveted mine and I don't like it. I'm going to add the webbing straps and use new abs shoulder straps. The new ones will cover the rivet holes. My question is should the abs straps be connected or maybe just velcro on. I had them only riveted on the front and am always worried about packing my armor. Always afraid they will break off during transport. Anybody not permenatly connect their abs shoulder straps at all?

I used slightly stretchy white fabric - not as accurate as what Mark did (his is definitely the shizz). I actually used E6000 on the fronts and velcro on the back, as I have to undo one side to get my head in. Mark's solution of having poppers is better again, I think, as it allows for easy on/off and a pre-defined attachment point. What I dislike about velcro is that you have to have a mark on where to put it back, else you may re-attach it just a bit off every time.

For the plastic tabs I still like the look of gluing them in the front. Rivets aren't EIB OK, and velcro you can always see that the elevation, and people I've seen do it with magnets...they always float around a bit.

Did I mention Mark's is the shiz? :)

Here's how I did it: a piece of black elastic with two snaps, and attached to that the smaller elastic+snap for the shoulder bell and the white elastic to keep the ribbed abs strip down.

3644257648_9177f45bf5_o.jpg

3644257650_2d47048034_o.jpg

Simple, effective and comfortable ;)