Warning to anyone working on or planning to do a force unleashed stormtrooper

I posted this under the CRL topics but i figured id put it here in its own topic.

If you are painting your armor as a Force Unleashed trooper..

DO NOT USE THE ACTION FIGURES AS REFERANCE!

The hasbro action figures as well as figures and busts released by sideshow collectibles while cool do not have proper pattern designs.

Stripes and designs are placed or shaped wrong or are the wrong size.

Remember these toys and collectibles were based off the game characters not the other way around so the in game characters are the guide for accuracy. details are allways lost in translation with these companies as we've learned from the long history of star wars toys and collectibles.

Refer to the CRL posts for in game pictures of the characters or if you own a copy of the game you can input codes to play as the characters and get up close looks yourself.

Press pause and goto input code

Enter "TK421BLUE" for Stormtrooper Commander

Enter "PHOENIX" for Incinerator Trooper

On a side note, I've noticed that some of the official art drawings of stormtroopers are based off of 501st costumes for reference, so some of the official art will have FX buckets, and hasbro toy blasters.

What does that mean? It means we have to do our best with our costumes because others will look up to us as references..

Sorry if that's repetitive but I'm too tired to sound good. Hah!

So like the pic in your avatar would be a bad reference then? hehe :P

Yes it would be a bad referance but notice how i said they are still cool ;)

On a side note, I've noticed that some of the official art drawings of stormtroopers are based off of 501st costumes for reference, so some of the official art will have FX buckets, and hasbro toy blasters.

Well the 501st legion as a group is mostly FX helmets and hasbro blasters so it might be canon :D

I appreciate the warning, but I was approved in March with my TKC and based all the striping off the sideshow toy model.

When looking to the video game as reference, you have to remember the digital models stretch and shift based on movement and in the various versions of the game there are inconsistencies in the skins because they were developed by different companies. I dont find video game captures accurate for very much as a rule.

Now I did see we got an original rendering as reference, and it is a much better source to work from for now.

I appreciate the warning, but I was approved in March with my TKC and based all the striping off the sideshow toy model.

When looking to the video game as reference, you have to remember the digital models stretch and shift based on movement and in the various versions of the game there are inconsistencies in the skins because they were developed by different companies. I dont find video game captures accurate for very much as a rule.

Now I did see we got an original rendering as reference, and it is a much better source to work from for now.

Model stretching isnt the problem with todays technology that it use to be. Even if the game model stretches the skin and textures are painted flat so they move with the model it wouldnt change the position of the stripes on the armor.

The PS3 and Xbox360 versions were made by lucasarts and are the better source over the wii, psp and ps2 versions which were made by a different company.

Our deputy GML posted up some pics of the Commander that is supposed to be the 501st accepetd style and it was basically the same as the slide show varient.

This is abit worrying if your saying its supposed to be different as im about to spray a SDS set of armour :huh:

Our deputy GML posted up some pics of the Commander that is supposed to be the 501st accepetd style and it was basically the same as the slide show varient.

This is abit worrying if your saying its supposed to be different as im about to spray a SDS set of armour :huh:

Most of the legiosn members dont own the game or have never played it so their only reference to it is toys and models. Contact your GML and like him to the proposed CRL post for in game photos. This is of course something that needs to be ironed out and the word needs to be spread. For people who know that toys and models have inaccuracies, its suprising to me how quick everyone is to jump at the first thing they see and say "thats how it is"

The sideshow 12" looks like hes wearing FX armor...

My advise is to follow the ps3 screenshots i posted from in game especially since the action figures and all of sideshows models all have completely different patterns and line placement....they cant even keep it consistant. When push comes to shove and everything gets figured out the game reference will win and youll be glad to have followed it.

The comic-con hasbro exclusive action figure this year is the ST commander so hopefully it will get the costume more attention but sadly its just a rehash of the original figure so the pattern will be wrong too....this makes me sad

Where is he getting his information from? The most authoritarian we have is the render that was provided from LFL from the game.

Daetrin said:
And the render :-----------

Like i said before the render doesnt match the game so i dont know what the deal is

I think its pre-vis and concept because you unlock some of those pics when you finish the game under artwork gallery

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

ForlornHope said:
Model stretching isnt the problem with todays technology that it use to be. Even if the game model stretches the skin and textures are painted flat so they move with the model it wouldnt change the position of the stripes on the armor.

The PS3 and Xbox360 versions were made by lucasarts and are the better source over the wii, psp and ps2 versions which were made by a different company.

This is what I'm talking about. This happens all the time still in modern games. Hell, LFL couldn't avoid clipping problems in EIII with the GM scene. So I do believe we have to do best approximation in some cases. After my armor was approved and later weathered, I realized I have the blue stripe continued on my buttplate...similar to the ab plate. This is not conon to the game, but I have other projects ongoing now and haven't decided to fix it for now...

---------------

In this image the shoulder bells are missing and one bicep looks like it slid down to the forearm. So does that mean bells are optional? Of course not, there is clearly an intent for them to be there. But the game engine failed in this moment. That's really all I was commenting on. I wouldn't make the CRL so restrictive to exclude additional members based on something like the gg bust or the sideshow toy. Those are much clearer references, even with their inaccuracies, than most of the screen captures. For that matter, My weathering included a bloody ewok print...ewoks did not appear in the game, nor have I ever seen blood splatter as acceptable other than Sev...which was what I put mine on as a homage for.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Stickmonkey said:
----------

In this image the shoulder bells are missing and one bicep looks like it slid down to the forearm. So does that mean bells are optional? Of course not, there is clearly an intent for them to be there. But the game engine failed in this moment. That's really all I was commenting on. I wouldn't make the CRL so restrictive to exclude additional members based on something like the gg bust or the sideshow toy. Those are much clearer references, even with their inaccuracies, than most of the screen captures. For that matter, My weathering included a bloody ewok print...ewoks did not appear in the game, nor have I ever seen blood splatter as acceptable other than Sev...which was what I put mine on as a homage for.

im sorry but youre wrong, the biceps are exactly where they are suppose to be and the shoulder bells are there they are blending into the commanders personal force field please look closer before making comments.

Your just getting upset because you followed the inaccurate toys and now you are trying to justify your mistake. Thats fine and im not saying people shouldnt be allowed 501st access for improper stiping, for 501st CRL i think if its close it should be accepted im not that anal. In the interest of EIB however i think proper striping based on the game is important.

please look at the other shots i took of the trooper standing straight before passing judgement

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I have to admit I'm a little confused on this debate. Are we discussing EIB standards or 501st standards?

My 2 cents on the matter, if it's EIB standards, I think we should be as close to the info from the PS3/X360 versions because those are from Lucasarts.

For 501st, as long as you match one version that is out there (Sideshow, Hasbro, etc.)

Just my thoughts, and forgive me if I'm just beating a dead Tauntaun.

We need to lock down both. Would it be helpful if the thread was split in two, e.g. one for 501st, one for EIB?

Yes. EIB standards can only build on top of 501st acceptance. We can't do anything that would prevent it.

im sorry but youre wrong, the biceps are exactly where they are suppose to be and the shoulder bells are there they are blending into the commanders personal force field please look closer before making comments.

Your just getting upset because you followed the inaccurate toys and now you are trying to justify your mistake. Thats fine and im not saying people shouldnt be allowed 501st access for improper stiping, for 501st CRL i think if its close it should be accepted im not that anal. In the interest of EIB however i think proper striping based on the game is important.

please look at the other shots i took of the trooper standing straight before passing judgement

Meh. I'm not trying to be difficult here. I really dont care. To me this is a clipping issue in the image...clipping into the forcefield or not it looks like the bells are missing and the bicep is low on the left arm. I'm not planning to try to get EIB with a EU costume anyhow, and I think having an EIB standard for a minor EU game character is a bit silly, personally. This was just meant to be a fun costume alternative for me. I'm not joining any holy wars for it.

You guys do what you want then. I was trying to offer my opinion on this, not solicit personal attacks.

I just can't wait until I have the balls to repaint and weather my suite, TFU Commander FTW!

I will definitely go for EIB on this one.... In time. Until then I still need to finish my ANH just for a TK Number to begin with, but then after that! Commander for the win.

• 3 weeks later...

well this sure looks like a heated discussion.. even if forlorn is right, i dont think he should be bashing on stickmonkey hes just defending his suit anyway, now i just got into the 501st with my tkc and i did a fair amount of research before painting it, i wish i could have read this thread earlier tho, i followed stickmonkeys pics as reference and some of the ingame ones, i think i understand stickmonkey's comment about the in-game stretching, even if the textures are painted on a flat surface, the model itself is not flat..

on a side note, i talked to daetrin and he said that i could get a EIB for my tkc if i made some changes on the belt and stuff like that, a diff helmet, and i have the same paint scheme that stickmonkey used, even if the EIB gets changed later, you can just repaint your suit, so its not that big a deal, i dont see why people are getting all worked up for this..

and yes i agree with stickmonkey.. personal attacks are a no no :)