Just dyed my Boots

TUTORIAL POSTED!

Just got done dying my left boot, I decided to dye one first, then make a tutorial on the 2nd. Dying process was fairly easy, and I actually used Leather Paint to do the colouring. Only thing I can't figure out is dying the elastic white, if I use enough of the leather paint it will work, but if you guys have any recommendations, please let me know :)

Andy

TK-1287

How do you guys think it turned out?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

looking good so far.

What leather paint did you use?

how did you prep the boot.

Looking forward to the "tutorial"

It was called Eco-Flo, it's an acrylic Leather Paint. Picked it up at Tandy Leather.

To prep the leather, I just scrubbed the boots with Acetone to remove the protective wax coating, and then I applied the paint by brush. I plan to do a video tutorial to post up on YouTube.

I think it looks great! I cheated and had a cobbler put in white elastic, but I like the looks of your better.

TK-1287 said:
It was called Eco-Flo, it's an acrylic Leather Paint. Picked it up at Tandy Leather.

To prep the leather, I just scrubbed the boots with Acetone to remove the protective wax coating, and then I applied the paint by brush. I plan to do a video tutorial to post up on YouTube.

I think they look great, Andy! I bought the same Shires boots and finished them last weekend, but I used Meltonian Nu-Life Color Preparer and White Color Spray:

---------

For the elastic, I actually used the cheap white acrylic paint you get in the craft section of Walmart and just worked it in. Takes quite a bit, but then it gets the desired effect. Not unlike weathering Fett CABoots, but without the diluting.

Look forward to seeing more progress!

Chris

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I bought the same Shires boots

How does the sizing run on that boot.... I am a 12 or 13 in US sizes, I have worn both 46 and 47 in Euro models.... I was considering the 46 (as high as they go on that site). How did size run for you guys?

Derek

How does the sizing run on that boot.... I am a 12 or 13 in US sizes, I have worn both 46 and 47 in Euro models.... I was considering the 46 (as high as they go on that site). How did size run for you guys?

Derek

Usually wear a US 10, got their 9 1/2 / UK 44 and they are perfect.

Good video tutorial Andy. I would suggest using an old rag instead of cotton-balls. I would use a wider brush in the larger areas and use the thinner bush for the edges.

Question: Did you need to buff them afterwards? and if so what did you use?

My boots, my boots, my boots are OK! :D

I just dyed mines too. I used a shoe dye & auto-shine product. It came with a prepare product that smelled like isopropyl alcohol, so I'm not shure if the dye is going to stay there for long. If it starts to peel I'll buy some acetone and dye them again.

When finished I applied a white shine foam I bought at a supermarket.

Here's the end result:

----------

It's not as white as I'd like, but it's pretty decent.

I still have to clean the sole of the boot on the back.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed