ID this helmet?

----------

anyone know the helmet?

Recast of something?

skygunbro - google search brings up lots of dented helmet stuff.

Any info?

Derek

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Well, it says Skygunbro loud and clear and SGB is very much in opposition to recasting and there has not been a thread on the RPF concerning this helmet so if I was betting man, I would say its legit. If it wasn't legit I'm positive it would be blowing up on the RPF and also on Propsafe. So far no radio chatter.

Didn't know SGB did a TK.

Its not all that great. Kev's is a far better TK helmet. SGB makes some awesome stuff though... Mostly Clone.

Personally, I'd be very warey of that blokes stuff.

He has a second helmet he "made" which looks to be a recast off of a TE HDPE. The helmet your looking at though looks like an RT-MOD or subsequent cast.

Steer well clear, you will only be dissapointed.

He has a second helmet he "made" which looks to be a recast off of a TE HDPE. The helmet your looking at though looks like an RT-MOD or subsequent cast.

QFT, that is soft and not accurate and probably a copy of a RT MOD. Plenty of better hemets out there you could buy.

Joe

Agreed, the second fiberglass helmet he also has for sale is a major red flag. The ears on the supposed SGB helmet look horrible. There are much better options out there.

On a side note I have seen more and more Rotocast TK buckets on ebay as of late. I believe TE did a small run of rotocast helmets (good luck finding one) and kwdesigns does a legit rotocast TK bucket from his own sculpt. Other than those two, a fiberglass TK bucket is generally not what it claims to be.

I asked him about that one and he "believes" it to be a TE.

Hi All want to let people know the auction that lists my name as the makers is true.Back a few/several years ago I sold one of my E2 clone pilot helmets to a guy named James Trepanier on ebay he was from Wisconsin.He later asked if he could get 2 more helmets but said he had no money but offered up 5 of these fiberglass tk helmet kits as payment for 2 full build pilots (about 700.00 for the 2).

I was new then and accepted the offer.Anyway to make a long story short I realized they were recasts of I believe a rt mod helmet as it came with a top,back and face and of course the ears.These came to me real thin and most all of them had broken parts due to thin casting they were a nightmare to put together and basically pieces of crap.I was later treated to finding out this same guy recasted my pilot helmet and chest box........ :angry:

So I made this particular one for the guy but basically charged him for assembly and paint about 200.00 if I remember right. One I have here and the other ones I built and gave to friends.I didn't want to profit off a recast.As alot of you know Im am super against it.

I just want to make sure people realize I did in a sense make this helmet as I put it together and painted it etc. but did not sculpt it or mold it.Basically wanted to clear up any confusion.

You mean the decals in the jawline? not sure I used what I was provided youd be better off asking one of the experts on here.Im also going to request the seller change his description a tad to clarify I did not actually make the helmet but more assembled and painted it.

Sierra Hotel!!

Thanks Jason for stepping up and clearing this up for us all. As you well know, there are those of us who are very much interested in the origins of buckets and armor. Thanks again for your invaluable input.

T :salute:

Thanks for posting the backstory on the helmet Jason. Everyone knows your long battle against recasting and I'd hope that no one thought it was made by you.