Snap Buttons to Velco

Hey All!

I just got my TK suit in from CostumeJunkie Wednesday and I still can't believe I finally got a full Stormtrooper suit. One problem I have noticed though is that the system of elastic straps with snap buttons that he put on the suit is not going to work for me as it snaps off too easily. In the little bit of research I've done, which has been mostly YouTube videos, I've seen that a lot of people just use Velcro straps to keep their armor together. I'm pretty sure that I won't have a problem finding elastic straps and Velcro at Michael's or Jo-Ann's but I was wondering what glue should I use to to adhere the Velcro to the back of the armor plates? Also, how would you guys suggest I take off the current snap buttons on the armor?

Thanks,

Will

Most people would say snaps are more secure than velcro, so I'm surprised by your predicament. Maybe the problem is you have too much tension in your strapping, in which case slightly longer straps or straps made of a stretchier material would help.

Still, the velcro I do use is industrial-strength velcro, which you can get at Michaels, Jo-Ann's, Home Depot, etc. It already has a sticky back surface, so no glue is required.

If the snap plates are glued on, it depends on the type of glue he used. Assuming he used ABS cement, I've heard freezing it helps to weaken the bond, after which you carefully pry it apart.

Velcro is annoying, the glue residue will start weaken with heat and sweat and look and feel messy.

With a bit of tweaking, you should be able to wear the armor without the snaps coming off.

Get in touch with the Alaskan Outpost, ask if any other troopers use a snap system and see if they can help you make it better.

Here's a way I used for snaps. Everywhere you put them--just use two. One in front of the other. Also alternate them. One male to female, the other female to male. This gives extra strength against the tension. I've never had any problem using this system.

Here's a way I used for snaps. Everywhere you put them--just use two. One in front of the other. Also alternate them. One male to female, the other female to male. This gives extra strength against the tension. I've never had any problem using this system.

I was thinking of doing the "2" thing, but never thought of inverting one for extra strength. Clever!

I'm still using all velcro though, so I need to switch it all out. B)

So generally you guys think snaps are better then Velcro? I'm going to have to do some messing around with this system then and see what works and what doesn't. Brian, thanks for bringing up strap tension, that might be one of the issues I'm dealing with and I'll see if longer straps would allow more play, and Darrel and Paul thanks for the suggestions on the dual buttons and the stronger camping buttons respectively. Two buttons, one reversed, would give it more strength and I think camping, or tarp, buttons would a lot harder to undo. The buttons on my suit snap off real easily. If I take the shoulder plate and twist it 90 degrees it snaps off the shoulder straps the buttons snaps off with almost no effort.

There is still the question of what should I use to attach Velcro to my armor though? I'm really rethinking the button issue but I'll still need to reattach the Velcro on my thigh plates once I trim them down to size. Brian, you said that the Velcro has adhesive on their outer sides. Is that going to be enough to stay on the armor and stand up to normal use?

Although I've since migrated to all-glue (with the exception of the backs of the shin armor), when I did use Velcro, it held up fine. I just didn't like the bulk it added. The key is to make sure whatever you buy says "industrial strength."

Do you have pix? My old costumejunkie FX suit had a snap system that I enhanced and I never had this issue. Even marching 5 miles in the Rose Parade or playing a few downs in football.

I'll try to take some pics here soon. Yea, I tried the suit on again for a few friends today and the buttons were just snapping off with any little movement I did. I found a tent and tarp maker here at home but they're not open till Monday. I'm going to see if they have some really strong industrial snaps which they should as they need to work at -60 degrees Fahrenheit or less up here. I did get my Velcro for the back of my thigh plates and some E6000 so I can glue the front joints of most of my armor sometime in the future. I'll have to get the elastic straps off of Jo-Ann's online or something, they were out of 2".

That could be - I just used the normal snaps from the fabric store and again, never had much issue. Perhaps you're using small snaps?

There is still the question of what should I use to attach Velcro to my armor though?

I had a couple spots I needed to hold the velcro stronger than the industrial strength velcro build in adhesive. I glued the velcro to the armor or to the elastic using e6000. Let dry 24 hours before using.

Derek

Alright, got an update for you guys,

I've ordered new elastic straps and Velcro loop from Seattle Fabrics and it's on the way. I also found new buttons from Alaska Tent and Tarp, a local shop here in Fairbanks, which are called Pull the Dot. These things are amazing. They got a pressure switch inside them that only allow them to be put on and taken off in one way and now matter how you try to break the bond it holds strong.

The problem I have now is how do I get the old buttons off? I've sent an e-mail to CostumeJunkie asking what did he use to bond the plate his button is attached to to the armor but I might have pissed him off with some constructive criticism and he hasn't responded (then again he could be on vacation since he has responded fairly well in the past). Brian suggested freezing it assuming he used ABS cement. Anyone else have any suggestions since I have no idea what the bonding material is?

Here is a picture just in case this isn't standard:

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

eskimojoe37 said:
I also found new buttons from Alaska Tent and Tarp, a local shop here in Fairbanks, which are called Pull the Dot. These things are amazing. They got a pressure switch inside them that only allow them to be put on and taken off in one way and now matter how you try to break the bond it holds strong.

These sound very interesting. I may have to try some of these out. Has anyone else used these "pull the dot" snaps?

eskimojoe37 said:
The problem I have now is how do I get the old buttons off? I've sent an e-mail to CostumeJunkie asking what did he use to bond the plate his button is attached to to the armor but I might have pissed him off with some constructive criticism and he hasn't responded (then again he could be on vacation since he has responded fairly well in the past). Brian suggested freezing it assuming he used ABS cement. Anyone else have any suggestions since I have no idea what the bonding material is?

Here is a picture just in case this isn't standard:

-----

Not sure I can tell from that picture what was adhesive was used. Have you tried to carefully pry it off with a blade?