HOWTO: Make a Grip Cross Hatch Cutter

Ok so I got tired of trying to find some good cross hatch material to use for my E-11 Grip, so I thought I'd just make it. Turns out you can too!

Sorry about the hand drawn temp image, I'm not that handy with PC drawing programs.. :(

THINGS YOU NEED

Dremel and thin cutting discs

Smooth flat file (optional but suggested)

Drill and drill bits

6-7 Inches off a wooden Broomstick

Small piece of hard steel or stainless steel

So here is what I made, a Cross Hatch Cutter. This will cut/scratch/score what ever angle diamond grip size you want.

gGBKR3S.jpg

OonxadZ.jpg

nR7n3TB.jpg

The cutting teeth are set at about 19 TPI (Teeth per inch) most toy gun grips I looked at were about 16 TPI, I chose 19 so it would be a bit finer.

First you need to find a piece of metal that is suitable. Hanging weights from old blinds, left over spanner from a kit cubboard ect Ideal size is 2mm X 15mm X 20mm

jfz6D0t.jpg

Get out the dremel, files drills or whatever and get cutting 2mm X 15mm X 20mm

You'll need to drill a hole in the centre and find a wood screw that fits, ensure its the same diameter as the hole you drill to prevent it moving around on the handle.

Jq6hfBb.jpg

Now get the wooden handle and mark a line approx 50 degrees at one of the ends. Cut the line so the handle has a 50 degree flat at the end

Gnnrpfq.jpg

about 5mm in make another cut but only cut about 3/4 of the way

Use2OkJ.jpg

Turn the side over so you look down at the flat side and cut where the previous cut finished

FnC5I98.jpg

Now mark out around your cutting blade (yet to explain) make sure the step in the handle is smaller than your cutting cross hatch blade. Also drill the hole to mound the blade.

NOTE: remember to drill the hole so the thread on the screw you use has enough grip to hold tight but not small enough so the wood cracks. ;)

rjj5aY6.jpg

• Like 1

Ok so hopefully your blade and handle should be looking something like this (minus the cuts which is coming now!)

LgbTsmY.jpg

now take your dremel and a thin cutting disc and make sure you have some steady hands.

Sorry for the lack of pics with the cutting of the blade, it was the first thing I did before picking up the camera...

with a little basic math and a ruler, look at the width of the dremel blade and the distance of the the cuts, the more distance between cuts the less TPI you get

I made about 12 cuts across 20mm blade and got 19 TPI

jhWWzkW.jpg

.....................................................you need to in so the dremel blade cuts at about 20 - 30 degrees^^^

j0tDFk1.jpg

Ok so now for testing your cutter...

I used some 1.5mm PVC (i'm pretty sure) and marked a big 60 degree diamond on it, this will be used for lining your straight edge to.

iHHqlMm.jpg

Find a straight end, a large steel ruler is best. you may want to use some clamps aswell.

QEfDC8A.jpg

To prevent the Hatch cutting blade from cutting/scoring your straight edge is to gentle file or sand off the sharp corner that will run along your straight edge

BQwgSik.jpg

When you make a cut along the plastic hold the blade handle like this (best method for cross hatching) ;)

iA8WYwi.jpg

Hopefully you end up with something like this

4CayOsV.jpg

tsHi5s7.jpg

RbO9BZm.jpg

You can see some lines are a little deep so it give the look of wide tracks. My cutter will just need some of the grooves deepend and then try it agian, should come out perfect but I'm actually happy with this one

So that's it for now, if I missed explaining anything or if you have any questions feel free to ask I'll be glad to answer them.

Now get Cross Hatching!! :P

Trav

ah cheers dudes

and yeah I have some crazy ideas, helps when you have ADHD :P

I actually got the idea from a Destructive paint testing method, cross hatching painted surfaces then using tape to see how much left over paint pulls off will determine the level of adhesion.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 3 weeks later...

Please go here.-----------------

I am going to a tooling plant Tuesday to review a rapid prototype machine. Would you like to see a replica as a tool... for proof of concept?

I just thought it was too cool. Great work!

John

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 11 months later...

awesome idea!! Ive been experimenting with ways to make grip material for a while now... :D this will save me a ton of time! thanks :D

beats using a putty knife and hammer

DQtWZ6z.jpg