semi-specific question

Hey all, I am new to the world of trooper costuming and have been doing a lot of reading here on the boards about the different armor makes and materials. Based on what I have seen so far I would probably be better off going with an ABS kit. I usually take care of everything I own, but as this will be my first build I want to go with the most durable option and not risk tearing up something made from styrene. This of course still leaves me with several options. I am also a little taller than the 'idealized' trooper height at 6'-1" and 180lbs but from what I understand on that issue, it is more a matter of how the stuff is put together than specific size for each armor.

I know that FX is the most common armor type in the 501st as well as big enough for my frame and, from what I gather, it is also the most economical with an option to go headless and find a better helmet elsewhere.

Then there is the AP which has been said to be one of the most accurate, but is probably more expensive and might be a harder fit for my frame. Also read a few things about it being a more difficult assembly in some instances.

I have also read a bit about RT-Mod and TM who both seem to have more fans than FX and are workable for my size though they are both produced outside of the US. I understand that these are not as accurate as the AP since they are not cast from originals, but still are very good.

The one thing I have absolutely no idea about is the financial burden of having a more accurate armor setup. I know this is not a cheap hobby, but if it is within reason I would like to go for the best setup possible. I am aware that no one can just post prices in here, but if someone could PM me with a general ballpark figure it would probably help me narrow it down a bit more. Even if you can point me in the direction of someone to contact for this info it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry, if this thread is in violation of any board rules, I'm trying not to while still getting the info I set out for.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Sean

I there SWhite! As I don't actually have any specific information about any of the sellers, I thought I'd give you some more information about the common materials used in armor making: (Choice of material WILL influence how durable the armor will be).

Most kits, such as FX and AP is made from ABS, which is a plastic material toughened with butadiene, which is used for synthetic rubber, thus ABS is a combination of plastic and rubber - which again makes it very flexible and durable.

HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) is plastic, but not toughened with the rubber as found in ABS, thus making HIPS a bit more stiffer and in most cases less durable than ABS. Most people use HIPS in armor making, because it's a bit easier to work with than ABS. I have a HIPS armor, and it looks very good, but it has a tendency to crack, and cracks WILL be more common to HIPS armor, compared to ABS no matter what, as a matter of the different materials.

I'd also suggest you register over at http://www.duneseagarrison.com/ which represent your state Arizone, and hook up with some of the members there to for instance meet them, talk with them and look at their variety of armor.

FYI I'm 6'0 185lbs and fit just fine in my TE2 (as I would an AP). For TE2 I actually had to trim a bit of material. I think you'll find that about $1000 when all is said and done is a base price. Going "more accurate" from there is sometimes only a few extra hundred dollars, but worth it in the long run if accuracy is that you want, else you'll just end up selling the suit.

Note that AP actually has been known to trim/do assembly for a fee. Also - great suits can be had used much more economically - a fully built (and a fabulously done one at that) TE2 just went on sale for $900. Just add suit, shoes, and blaster and you're done.

Also note that while these are generalities it's your armor in the end. There is no one "best". There is what is right for you, as the build/assembly to your body is far more important in making an effective trooper than the kit you buy.

Thanks guys that actually helps a lot. I am planning on waiting until after the next Dune Sea Garrison event so I can get their opinions and see some of the armor first hand, but its nice to know that going for a more accurate kit isn't going to be insanely more expensive when all is said and done.

-Sean

Thanks guys that actually helps a lot. I am planning on waiting until after the next Dune Sea Garrison event so I can get their opinions and see some of the armor first hand, but its nice to know that going for a more accurate kit isn't going to be insanely more expensive when all is said and done.

-Sean

Wait until you start Vader.... :lol:

:P