Concerns for my hat size and what bucket to go for?

I think I am going to go with the FX armor for my first TK build, I will take my time with it and make it look as nice as possible but I think for my size (6'1" and 225lbs) and my current budget, it is the best option for me. I have read that many people do not like the FX bucket however and I am now looking at going the FX lite route and sourcing a different bucket.

My question is that I have kind of a big melon lol, my hat size is 7 5/8, will I have any issue with an AP bucket?? I am sure its' not a problem but I am a little curious. Also looking for opinions as well, I want the bucket to look good but I am looking for 501st membership and lots of trooping with my armor, not really concerned with elite status, etc...

Any and all input is greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks.

My hat size is the same as yours and my first bucket was an AP. It was a little snug to get one and off, but not bad. You can always trim out the neck opening a little if it's a problem. The TE2, RT are a little larger, the MRCE is a little larger than those, and the OCSC ANH is the largest (FX sized) of the accurate proportioned helmets.

Take my advice, do not get the FX bucket. You will like it at first, but no matter how well you build it, it does not look as good as a movie accurate helmet. TE2 look fantastic and there are a lot of other kinds out there. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the MRCE -(It will cost you around $100 and you're going to have to put a lot of extra work into it to get it to look decent.) The helmet is the most important part of the armor so for me, movie accurate is the way to go.

Don't worry about head size. As Terrell mentioned, you can always trim the opening to fit any size mellon. I have an eFX. (Which is a fiberglass helmet based on a movie accurate helmet) It 's about the same size as my TE2, but the underside is completely trimmed out. The elephant man could fit this thing on his head and be fine. :-)

I would definitely go the movie accurate route. Try and get your hands on a TE2 and you won't be disappointed if you're worried about size. Again, like Terrell said, the bottom can be trimmed anyway no matter which one you go with. Maybe one day Fx will go back to the drawing board on their bucket (or at least mod out the current one to make it more accurate). I remember the first time I saw someone wearing an Fx. I thought 'Whoa your head is big'... :P

I'd go for a TM, awesome bucket now in capped ABS, just wonderful, I'll post pics of mine as soon as I receive Smitty's lenses.

Haha so many choices. Pics from anybody would be great.

I need to make a decision soon so I can get this project started although I will probably save the bucket for last.

Thanks for the replies so far, every bit helps.

My head is 25.5 inches around, which I think in a hat size is something like 8 1/4, and I can fit my head in an MRCE. I had to take out the crappy padding (which one should do anyway), but it fits. So I would say a MRCE would definitely fit you, and is definitely a step up from the FX bucket.

Hope that helps! And from one melon head to another I feel your pain! :D

My head is 25.5 inches around, which I think in a hat size is something like 8 1/4, and I can fit my head in an MRCE. I had to take out the crappy padding (which one should do anyway), but it fits. So I would say a MRCE would definitely fit you, and is definitely a step up from the FX bucket.

Hope that helps! And from one melon head to another I feel your pain! :D

Haha thanks. I have been reading on that one as well, so many choices. I have been reading on what to modify to make that one more accurate. I am about ready to decide and my local garrison is doing a troop this weekend, so I am gonna take some time looking over some armor and probably make my final decision so I can get started on this.