HOWTO: A guide to making a canvas belt

Couldn't you just move the whole plastic section 1/2" to one side and make all new holes? That's assuming the last old hole will be covered with the plastic section. Any movement of the overlapping velcro section would not really be noticed and the 02 canister will cover it anyway.

No, that wouldn't work. If you move the armor belt either way, it uncovers the other edge hole even more (and throws off the spacing for the drops and holster). It was all done before I realized the problem. I thought I could just flip the belt so the marks didn't show, but the holes are pretty big, and I can't figure out how to fill them without just replacing the top canvas layer (which I noticed gets dirty VERY easy).

• 2 months later...
Have you experimented to try to use multiple layers of canvas instead of the elastic? I guess that would be 4 layers of canvas. I picked up some white denim to try this with. Just waiting for my belt to show up to start.

I'm planning to sew mine tonight and I was planning to use 4 layers of canvas but seeing this thread has caused me to rethink. The elastic is thinner but probably as strong for supporting weight. Since my sewing skills were last tested in 7th grade in 1987 I got PLENTY of white duck cloth! This tutorial helps a bunch!

• 1 month later...

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?P...d8-ef971b98444c

does this look like the right stuff?

or is this one better?

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?P...bb-b38d0a449c3c

looking at your pictures, it looks more like the natural color, not the white. Am I correct?

I dont know the weight of the canvas i use, i go to the store and check it out by feel. I have used thinner material, really thick and now use a medium weight. Once layered the belts are still light weight and flexible but strong enough to hold blasters and pouches.

Here is a picture of the canvas i use, it can also be known as cotton drill, which is the weave or pattern and i use both natural and white canvas depending on the costumers preference.

7c8LBBe.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I just attempted making a canvas belt following this tutorial and it turned out pretty decent considering I've never used a sewing machine before.

Just a question though, how do you prevent the canvas from running at the edges?

This is a great tutorial and my first step into becoming a TK

:D

• 11 months later...

I just attempted making a canvas belt following this tutorial and it turned out pretty decent considering I've never used a sewing machine before.

Just a question though, how do you prevent the canvas from running at the edges?

This is a great tutorial and my first step into becoming a TK

:D

I just finished making mine and I made a couple modifications. Instead of using elastic, I used heavy interfacing which gives the belt some thickness. I think also that it would be a little cheaper to buy at the fabric store.

The other thing, which is in response to your question above, I used a serger to finish the edges instead of a zigzag stitch.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am helping a friend here with a belt. We have the canvas belt. So you put snaps (poppers) on the canvas belt to snap on the plastic belt, and then have snaps from the canvas onto the abd plate? The only TK I have seen used industrial velcro from the canvas to the ABD, and it worked OK, but snaps would seem better.

I am helping a friend here with a belt. We have the canvas belt. So you put snaps (poppers) on the canvas belt to snap on the plastic belt, and then have snaps from the canvas onto the abd plate? The only TK I have seen used industrial velcro from the canvas to the ABD, and it worked OK, but snaps would seem better.

I attached my gf's belt box to her belt using rivets. I found that with the snaps they tend to pop off if you like to tighten the belt a lot. I added snaps to the belt, however, to keep it nice and centered on the ab plate. If you need pictures I can take some later and show you.

No problem. Here you go.

You can see the three rivets I used to mount the ammo belt box to the belt. Then there's two snaps which hook onto the ab plate.

--------

Here's the detail on the ab plate with the snaps.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

That's what I love about FISD.. the good old threads are still here.. Got myself some AP armor to replace my old FX so I know Im gonna have some fun again :D

• 4 months later...
On 9/9/2011 at 11:51 AM, bobojuice said:

Here's the detail on the ab plate with the snaps.

-----------

I notice bobojuice attached his snaps directly through the ab armor without using a snap plate. I am a bit nervous about drilling through my armor, although I know it will be covered by the belt. Has anyone had success using snap plates and gluing those onto the ab? Any problems with that approach?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

You can get away with doing that, if you like. Same thing, tbh. Either way they get covered up by the belt. Just remember to make sure you use some strong adhesive, as the ab snaps really need to be secure or they WILL come off.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get away with doing that, if you like. Same thing, tbh. Either way they get covered up by the belt. Just remember to make sure you use some strong adhesive, as the ab snaps really need to be secure or they WILL come off.

Ok, thanks for the advice! I think I am going to try avoiding the snap plates. i'll just go slow and measure everything carefully!