Photoshop vs. Illustrator

HPDblues

In an effort to do my own trading cards, business cards, and action figure cards, I am about to venture out into the world of graphics and digital photography.

Now which one should I purchase? Photoshop or Illustrator?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

T :salute:

It depends somewhat on what you want to create.

If one wants a "film-y" look (sorry for the technical jargon) with layers of transparency, feather/faded edges, etc, I'd use Photoshop. The pixel base allows this kind of look, but images cannot be stretched beyond the resolution of the original. A 72ppi image cannot print well in a 300ppi commercial print job.

If one wants a more 2-dimensional feel with sharp, well articulated edges, use Illustrator (AI). Plus, Illustrator now has much better text capabilities. And text will always print sharper in Illustrator than in Photoshop.

Illustrator's vector system understands its files as algorithms. So an AI file can print well as a postage stamp or as a billboard.

I usually get em both. I use photoshop for more of the free artist drawing type. and Illustrator for more of the vectorlized artwork. There are plenty of things you can do seperatly for both so that is why i use both. As well as if you entering for the carded stuff I say Illustrator but for the photograpic changes is photoshop.

Though also it how ya learn em too. I am comfortable using photoshop a whole lot more then illustrator =) so i can sound bais if anything

Well from what it sounds like you're looking to do, you'd be best off with both. Anything dealing with digital photo work and you NEED photoshop. TBH I'd say you'd likely need photoshop more than illustrator but if you're going to be doing print design you'll find a large need for both.

Always both, then all your bases are covered. If you're on a budget, get Photoshop as it does some vector stuff too. :)

True Photoshop does vector but it takes a bit more to know the function via illustrator cause some things just dont work the same (usually button managment). But yeah if I had to choose which I stuck with photoshop =) but the files can be interchangeable between em cause adobe actually cares for compatibility with all their programs.

Though beware of the versions they are coming out with since i kinda like my CS2 and i hear CS3 has a built in 3D graphic modifier to help paint in 3D graphics and such so buttons and functions can change over time via future versions.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many different types that you could use.

I have photoshop CS3...*cough* that i found on the web *cough* <_< ...and play with it alot (too comfusing to do too much with it). To toss another program at you there is Corel which a friend uses and loves. I heard is was good for more background stuff and more color variety.

But between Photoshop and Illustrator I cant help much... I would say to go to deviantART.com and look for some art done by both types and talk/PM to the artists there. Most likely there is a forum of artists debating the same thing somewhere on the site. :lol: