FIBERGLASS ARMOR?

They are rigid and have no give, the inside will tear your undersuit to shreds if it's not laid right (haven't seen one yet that is) and it's heavier than plastic.

That and most fiberglass makers are poor quality recasts. There are a few fiberglass helmets that are legit, but they are mostly in collectors hands as there were very few made of the runs that I know of.

Being a Boba Fett, I see fiberglass quite often. For Fett, works great, but for full Stormtrooper, I don't see why it would ever be used. If it has an undercoating, it can be pretty good, but I'd still stay far away from it.

If memory serves me... There on Ebay, and I believe it is fiberglass copy of the FX, maybe AP. They were out of the UK.

They called it FRP. I even had to look that up and ask here.

Fiber reinforced plastic. IE Fiberglass.

Thank you all for the advices.... :o

In my case, I have been eagerly awaiting over ayear now, for the right time for me, to get one of the superb armors from the true master of armor, trooper master. But this is only me, however. I do have a friend down here, who just bought a full stormtrooper fiberglass armor, and five other friends who are triying to get this armor from the same fiberglass maker (because it’s cheap), and I am trying to convince them to stay away and not to get involved with fiberglass.

If any one has any pictures as how this armors will turn on at the end. So any help, it would be great.

Thank you all again for the advices... ;)

well i found this on ebay and i think it is a good example of the wear and tear but its quite a small picture i found in ebay------------

even it is the TX ya can see bit of the ware and tear around the areas where it might rub together to chip

though i am not sure about TK because it is hard to see the cracking picture wise on white ones

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

its funny how different costumes make u view differently materials

I too got involved with Fett, and a few of the new clone lids. Fibreglass as a material isnt that bad.

having said that - in Fett its only a few pieces of body armour + lid and in clones its the lids only.

I agree with all thats been said already. Too heavy. Too rigid. Too uneven an interior is a huge pain to wear.

all the current legitimate producers used ABS or HIPS. Its fair to say any TK armour made of FG is recast.

its hard tryin to explain to people outside the hobby why recasting is bad - good luck mate and good on yer for trying.

enjoy ur TM armour; it is gorgeous (just ask Nate TK9135 ;P)

Thats an excelent picture for reference. Thank you for posting it. I just don’t want them to waste their money on something they will be regreting sooner than latter.

The paint job that my friend did with the FG armor looked great before his first trooping, but you will not believe now how noticeable are the crackings, after only 5 hours under the sun.

Price paid finally comes alive!!!

I don’t have my armor yet, but sure its worth waiting. Nothing like TM B)

Thats an excelent picture for reference. Thank you for posting it. I just don’t want them to waste their money on something they will be regreting sooner than latter.

The paint job that my friend did with the FG armor looked great before his first trooping, but you will not believe now how noticeable are the crackings, after only 5 hours under the sun.

Price paid finally comes alive!!!

I don’t have my armor yet, but sure its worth waiting. Nothing like TM B)

=) yeah and as a good friend ya must warn em with the evidence provided. Some people think cheap would pass by but people like here notice the details and appreciate. I was one of those people and wasnt edumacated till i did a bunch of research and granted i look up everything i can and take peoples word for it including the fiberglass. I mean fiberglass isnt bad but vs ABS it would well ABS>fiberglass

And that's part of the reason for our existence - to ensure people don't repeat the mistakes we did in the past.

• 7 years later...

Received the helmet today and it's shocking as to be expected. In one way I wanted it to be as can put some time and effort into it. One the other hand it could of been done alot better. There's alot of warping and with it being fibreglass it's going to be a pain to get right. I will post pics soon.

Interesting discussion.  Isn't Jimmiroquai's FOTK armor made of a newer kind of flexible fiberglass?  And that's been well-received.  It seems there are some types of fiberglass that are not as abhorrent as others.

• Like 1