SmallTalk Voice Amp for SEA/ Scott Full Face Respirator

I just discovered this today, the 'SmallTalk Voice Amp for SEA/ Scott Full Face Respirator', found on ebay. Anybody ever use one? For 10 bucks, I might just get it and see what I can do with it, I have speakers in my hovi-mics already, don't want to blow them.

I just discovered this today, the 'SmallTalk Voice Amp for SEA/ Scott Full Face Respirator', found on ebay. Anybody ever use one? For 10 bucks, I might just get it and see what I can do with it, I have speakers in my hovi-mics already, don't want to blow them.

Yep, I've got it in my TE2 and it's great.

I have got one too but I havent done anything with it. I'm still running the Wal mart toy in my rig but i want to swap that out since this unit has a volume control.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having feedback issues. I'm trying to isolate the microphone (the one that came with the small talk), using objects, like a bottle cap, to surround it, and place it directly in front of my mouth, but it's not working very well. Anyone using a different mic, or what have you found that works?

I'm having feedback issues. I'm trying to isolate the microphone (the one that came with the small talk), using objects, like a bottle cap, to surround it, and place it directly in front of my mouth, but it's not working very well. Anyone using a different mic, or what have you found that works?

The cap itself won't help much in blocking feedback, you need something like sound deadning foam (like those used in car sounds setups, ex: dynamat)

line the inside of the cap with that stuff and cover up the back of the speaker.

• 1 month later...

I've got one. My in helmet system using wal mart changer electronics works, but it never seems loud enough. I bought the small talk unit and keep in the right side of my chest plate. I stuck some foam over the speaker grill and it works fine, no feedback so far, and I have the volume maxed. If you face the speaker toward your body, you can muffle it a bit, for less feedback ( if you get any to begin with ). Mine faces out, it gets a bit more volume that way. I bought a radio shack headset mic for $20 or so and put male-female connectors on the leads from the mic and from the amp.

It's nearly impossible for me to squeeze my noggin into my AP bucket with the headset on but I manage.

I have a mic attached to the inside of my bucket, attached to the walmart internal system. You could also mount a mic there, and let the lead drop down, under your neck seal and the to the amp. The only issue with this is adding a male/female connect point, so that you can safely de-bucket without pulling things apart. If you go this route, remember to tuck in your wire so it's not dangling.

The cap itself won't help much in blocking feedback, you need something like sound deadning foam (like those used in car sounds setups, ex: dynamat)

line the inside of the cap with that stuff and cover up the back of the speaker.

• 1 month later...

This might not be the right thread to ask but I just got the SEA/Scott amp, I have the smaller aerator speakers on the way. I have a boom mic, do I need anything else? It seems I'm missing something, I'm not as techy as I'd like so any help would be nice especially with the Scott Amp.

Hi Ryan,

Right now, I have a Radio Shack headset mic, which is connected to my smalltalk system using male/female audio connectors. This is so that I can use the headset with a different system if I need to. The only drawback for me is that it's tough to squeeze my fat noggin into my bucket with the headset on ! : )

If you have the headset and amp, you don't need the aerator speakers for anything. The sound will come out of your scott amp. The amp will fit in your chest area. You may have to experiment with dampening the sound a bit to eliminate feedback. I have a bit of foam along my neckline behind my chest plate, and some taped over the speaker.

You COULD try to disassemble the amp, and install just the amplifier and volume control parts ( basically get the speaker out and make the package small enough for convenience sake ) in your helmet , then, wire them to the little speakers. I experimented with a similar idea to this and unfortunately the aerator speakers could not handle the volume. At low volume, it wasn't loud enough to be heard as well as I'd like. This setup would allow you to have everything in the helmet and not deal with cables.

I have also tried the walmart amp and aerator speaker combo, and while it does work, it wasn't loud enough for me. I used the mic that came with it, and placed it in my helmet so that when I put the helmet on, the mic was in just the right spot for me to talk. It was nice to be wire and headset free !

There are so many people here with amazing ideas on audio. I've found a lot out by reading, and experimenting. My next attempt will be with a wireless system, I tried it before, but the wireless unit was junk, so, I'll try again !

Good luck,

Timmer

This might not be the right thread to ask but I just got the SEA/Scott amp, I have the smaller aerator speakers on the way. I have a boom mic, do I need anything else? It seems I'm missing something, I'm not as techy as I'd like so any help would be nice especially with the Scott Amp.

Timmer,

Thanks for the info, I've been staying up nights just reading all the posts. I've written questions down and just start using that "must have" search button. With the info you gave, you said I didn't need to put aerator speakers in but there's something about having everything in your helmet that just says "stormtrooper" to me. There's a guy here that is selling small aerator speakers for $11 (Launchpad). I thought I'd try those with this amp. Now the wiring of said speakers is going to interesting, any help there would be appreciated. The speaker in the SEA Scott amp has a plastic "computer" connection, can I get those or use those with the aerator speakers or how does one attach them to the amp. I don't know, maybe once everything comes in, I'll see how loud each is. I guess I should also get a helmet and armor together too! :blink:

I'm starting with the small accessories so it isn't as noticeable on my budget and still researching the armor/helmet selections. If you were to do it all over again at this point, where would you start, armor-wise? I'm really thinking about the ATA kit or FX. Bigger guy needs bigger armor.

Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

I now have a memorex wireless transmitter in my bucket, the receiver in my left chest and the Smalltalk in the right chest. It seems to be working o.k.

I'm using the mic from a radio shack headset, I just snipped off what I needed and it's velcroed in my helmet.

Now I can squeeze my head in the AP and no wires dangling !

Timmer said:
I now have a memorex wireless transmitter in my bucket, the receiver in my left chest and the Smalltalk in the right chest. It seems to be working o.k.

I'm using the mic from a radio shack headset, I just snipped off what I needed and it's velcroed in my helmet.

Now I can squeeze my head in the AP and no wires dangling !

Thank you for the info Timmer!

I am selling the memorex wireless headsets that Timmer mentioned. See the 501st posting link below.

-----------

I have a SEA small talk amp on order so I can try it out. I have a couple projects to try it with including my wireless system in my armor. If the wiring is simple and it works well then I will buy a few of them.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Hi Jim, I'm using the memorex unit I picked up from you a couple of weeks ago. It makes life much easier !

Now I'm on to re-working my fan set-up.

The SEA unit works very well. There are louder units out there, but this works well, is relatively small, and has the volume pot, which is great if you run into feedback issues.

Hi Jim, I'm using the memorex unit I picked up from you a couple of weeks ago. It makes life much easier !

Now I'm on to re-working my fan set-up.

The SEA unit works very well. There are louder units out there, but this works well, is relatively small, and has the volume pot, which is great if you run into feedback issues.

timmer,

let me know if you want some help with some helmet cooling systems. I have been putting together some for a few troopers. They are not cheap because the material costs add up quickly. I have a four fan system that rocks. I live in Texas and I put my helmet on too cool off sometimes. I use squirrel fans that blow perpindicular to the intake. It is all about getting the right airflow into the helmet and out. I have been thinking about building these cooling systems for people but I have too many projects going on. Email me if you want help and I will send you some details and pictures of my system.

Jim, TK6294

familyjim72@yahoo.com

• Like 1

Ryan, I didn't really answer your question before. Here is a link to wiring speakers.----------

I believe you would want to wire them in Parallel.

I ran 2 ( + ) wires, one to each speaker, and 2 ( - ) wires, one to each speaker, ( from my voice amp ).

I think that is the correct way. I used to play bass guitar quite a bit and was even an amateur sound guy, but I seem to have forgotten a lot LOL !

I didn't have to do much wiring anyway. My skill was more in mixing !

Good luck my friend !

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working