Things to consider before buying armor

You have cash in fist and can't *wait* to buy your armor. Perhaps you're already in the 501st but with a different costume, but more likely this is going to be your first armor purchase ever.

Everything is on EBay with a quick search and it's sooo easy to buy, but before you do consider these questions before buying armor or accessories:

1. Did you locate the garrison in your area and ask for help? Some garrisons can be unresponsive or seem aloof to new members, but others are really good in helping new folks avoid "rookie" mistakes. So get on your local garrison boards and ask the membes what they think before clicking "bid now".

2. Did you check this forum for past topics on this subject? The ad says those rubber gloves are the real deal and screen accurate, but the reality is that in any kind of warm weather sweat will pool in them. Why not check to see what other people are using before buying.

3. Can you buy it cheaper locally? Buying that industrial velcro to complete your suit from the auction site is pretty tempting because you don't have to guess if you're getting the "right" stuff, but in reality it's easily available at any Home Depot. The auction may be a better deal in the end, but it pays to take a short trip to be sure.

4. Is it really "real"? There are a lot of auctions that may say "most accurate", "screen accurate", "made from original molds" or similar, but not all items truly are. This forum was created with the express purpose of having people help you answer these questions.

5. What are the tradeoffs? What the heck is the difference between a resin blaster vs. a PVC, vs. a "hyperfirm" (whatever that is)? Ooh - why not get one of those Master Replicas - since it's LFL licensed shouldn't that be the best? Some items look pretty but break easily, or are very accurate but not very practical to troop with. Chances are the answers to these questions are already on these boards, or can be answered pretty quickly by posting a question.

• Like 6

Also when it comes to how accurate you wanna be, consider the practicality of what you're getting or how you mod it. Remember that those suits used in the film were probably worn for a brief scene lasting less time than what we do on an average troop. You obviously don't want to use gaffers tape for your calves for example.

Also despite someone having garrison 'seniority', it doesn't mean he's the ideal person to consult. A lot of newbies are finding that with the more accurate kits out there now, they can exceed someone who got his armor years ago but which is less accurate.

- Is it really worth it to shell out the extra money for a suit that's "already modded, strapped, and customized?" Beware of spending that extra money, as every armor seller has his/her own way of doing things, and that way may not be the RIGHT way for YOU. What good is spending an extra $800 on labor and additional material cost when they have to be ripped out and redone later by a more experienced trooper to YOUR measurements and comfort?

• 7 months later...
- Is it really worth it to shell out the extra money for a suit that's "already modded, strapped, and customized?" Beware of spending that extra money, as every armor seller has his/her own way of doing things, and that way may not be the RIGHT way for YOU.

That?s sooo right!

I just got mine last saturday... an FX one. I was so excited that I just wanted to see it finished within minutes!

Thanks The Emperor that one friend of mine that has a TX armor told me to be patient since all that run with the armor while putting it together ussualy blow it sky high!!!

following his advice I took 2 days just to assemble the helmet and between yesterday and today I?ll finish the rest of it.

I found that some of what the manual states on how things have to be done where not the best for me in some stances.

I have another example witha fellow girl trooper in the TX group that exchanged her white TK amor for a Black TX armor, but since the armor was already "Fused" into place in several parts she is having trouble adjusting it to her smaller frame.

The manual states thsi VERY crearly, Measure Twice, Glue Once!

Once you glue something in this armor it MUST stay that way...so be sure that when you buy something...IT?S ACTUALLY WHAT YOU NEED!

Good Luck Troopers!

Dargas.

501st Costarican Outpost (being reviewed for acceptance) Administrator.

- Is it really worth it to shell out the extra money for a suit that's "already modded, strapped, and customized?" Beware of spending that extra money, as every armor seller has his/her own way of doing things, and that way may not be the RIGHT way for YOU. What good is spending an extra $800 on labor and additional material cost when they have to be ripped out and redone later by a more experienced trooper to YOUR measurements and comfort?

Yes, it is better to just get the raw kit and fit it to yourself :salute:

Just wanted to add this little note, mainly for the the new guy.... Like Deatrin

^_^ ( that would be our fearless Leader) said You are with cash in your hand or with plastic and a phone, on line...... Can be good, but it will most of the time turn out really bad. "Eagerness and Money" can be very deadly.

With that said The only other advice is do all the reasearch you can, and if you know some one that is intrested in joining the ranks, point them THIS WAY. I wish the FISD was up and running when i started looking..... would have save a ton ( Mabye new armor :P )

Thanks Guys/Gals THANKS TROOPERS

• 2 weeks later...

Amen to that my Bolivian Friend!

Mine is already finished but I still find that I need to adjust a few straps in place.

I had to modify the size of the backsides of the legs so I could sit down without piercing my legs with the borders!

I actually had the chance of starting filming for the fan film we are doing here and being produced by Marco Morales from the audiovisual company Videocast Studio.

I had to do all the stormtroopers in those particular scenes and I had to represent at least 20 diferent troopers in action, including death by blaster fire scenes, marching scenes, standing guard scenes and paying attention and talking in free time scenes. All of them filmed against a green backdrop.

It was really fun to do...specially the death by blaster fire scenes in wich is really difficult to actually drop dead with the armor on while being blow away!

let?s see what happens ans the production goes on and Marco integrates me against the 3d environment!

I?ll keep you posted!

Regards Brothers!

Dargas.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I know of the money differences between kits and the like, but how am I looking at spending on just a kit?

FX/GT 550 to 650 but there is a memeber of the MEPD that is selling FX kit's 380 +shipping and paypal fees.....no helmet no glue no holster.

Accuurate Armor ANH/ESB 800 and up..

Accurate ROTJ armor if your lucky enough to find a suit 900 and up.

Oh thanks for the info. *writes it down*

Will scoure this forum for anything else I need. probably need to look at some tips for stuff.

Also Im not that very good at hobyist. I suck at painting my warhammer40k figures :P and I never mod em. Will I have much problems when constructing my kits?

Oh thanks for the info. *writes it down*

Will scoure this forum for anything else I need. probably need to look at some tips for stuff.

Also Im not that very good at hobyist. I suck at painting my warhammer40k figures :P and I never mod em. Will I have much problems when constructing my kits?

If you plan on getting an FX kit, its pretty strait forword..depending on your body type it will just take time for you to trim it to fit you best so the armor doesn't pinch you to much when wearing it :unsure::D

Ya I think the FX armor will be easier for me, but I heard that it doesn't accurately portray a stormstrooper accurately, but since funds are low, this is pretty cheap and straight forward and well, the majority of the 501st has it, I might go with that. In the future might get me a better suit when I get a better job.

ok guys...besides the size of the bucket.... what else is unacurate in the FX?

I look at mine and it looks just perfect!

Dargas.

Biceps are too short, and the chestplate is off.

besides all the obvious reasons, the suit in my oppinion is just not as crisp in the lines as the more accurate suits also...but like Seth said, it can definately be worked into a pretty good looking set...but you have the right idea about it being a kind of starter kit in a way, especially when you don't have the funds like I didn't when I first started :D

The FX is an Ideailzed fan scuplt, Not to say fan scuplts are bad we have seen troopermasters work and it is amazing the FX is just off on those flim detials. To me it seems like it is missing somthing

---------

All the detials are missing from the FX suit. hope i'm not insulting anyone. :unsure:]

The chest plate

the abe plate has the bottons made into the suit so you would have to buy a kit to go sandy

theres no real shape to the legs IMO

But for what it is worth it's still a great suit, not everyone is movie sized.

and to people on the street they have no clue theres a differences in the armor ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I see.... well...certainly I wasn?t really happy, the first time I put it on, with the way the legs and calfs looked so i went ahead and trimmed it a bit and replaced the Velcros to Form these pieces better.

I do agree about the chest piece Since I have a bit of a tummy If I?m Not very careful on the way the shoulder straps are placed and if the abdomen plates are not very tight then the chest opens up at the botom... i hope I made myself understood! jjajaja

anyway I beleive it doesn?t look half bad.

I have to admit that since I?m a begginer on this matter I feel really happy and "in Love" with my armor.

Here?s a sample!

Let me know what you think so I can take notes into what to adjust!

Thanks in advance Brothers.

Dargas

post-522-1176303448_thumb.jpg

I do agree about the chest piece Since I have a bit of a tummy If I?m Not very careful on the way the shoulder straps are placed and if the abdomen plates are not very tight then the chest opens up at the botom... i hope I made myself understood! jjajaja

Dargas

Put a strap from the chest piece to the backplate. Thats what I did, and I know many others have done to keep the armor flat reguardless of the belly issue.

I did! jajjajajaja

but I guess my tummy was stronger...what i?m thinking is following the old Sarge?s way of strapping the armor. It?ll be sturdier that way.

Thanks for the tip!

Dargas.

yeah! hahahaha

I measure 1.80 mts tall and have strong formed legs and a broad back so that helps a lot with the overall look of the armor on my frame...the problem is the tummy!

Too many "Gallo Pintos", "Empanadas de carne" and fried eggs in the morning I guess... have to start spinning or something!

Dargas.

yeah! hahahaha

I measure 1.80 mts tall and have strong formed legs and a broad back so that helps a lot with the overall look of the armor on my frame...the problem is the tummy!

Too many "Gallo Pintos", "Empanadas de carne" and fried eggs in the morning I guess... have to start spinning or something!

Dargas.

how tall are you? sounds liek you have the makings of vader

Well I actually do have a Darth Vader uit too.

but i?m as tall as a stormtrooper should be according to the movies and not one centimeter more nor less...since I live in costa rica right now I don?t have the conversion for my actual size in meters wich is 1.80 mts tall to feet.

with my Darth Vader suit i measure 1.95 mts tall.

heres some pics let me know what you think!

post-522-1176396877_thumb.jpg

post-522-1176396908_thumb.jpg

I think the armor I am looking at is made by a guy in MEPD (my buddy who is a Sandtrooper recommended him). If it doesn't require a lot of work, I may actually buy the armor (once I sell off the Snowtrooper armor). It didnt come with boots, undersuit, holster, blaster, helmet, or gloves... so, its just armor, lol