Things to consider before buying armor

I strongly urge you to review the Armor Helmets section on this forum. There you will find the answers you seek. BTW fx is not the most affordable armor out there. Good luck on your armor decision Deltapilot!

Then what would you suggest for a decent, affordable set of armor lower than FX that is 501st accepted?

Then what would you suggest for a decent, affordable set of armor lower than FX that is 501st accepted?

My armor is ATA. The name speaks for itself Affordable Trooper Armor! It is screen accurate quality for an amazingly low cost.

I am SERIOUSLY considering buying some FX armor.. what kind of skill is required to assemble/modify and what is the "average" time frame?

FX armor is likely the easiest to assemble and usually doesn't take a whole lot of skill, which is what makes it a great set to start out with if you're unsure as to your costuming knowledge/abilities. Most of the assembly can be done right out of the box, with a limited amount of cutting/sizing (thigh pieces, specifically). The helmet is more difficult to assemble and will probably take up a lot of the overall assembly time. As far as modifications, it all depends on what you want to do. If you are interested in EIB, it is not terribly difficult, especially if you do those modifications during assembly.

I really don't know what the average time to put one together - it comes down to how much time you can devote to it on any given day. I've heard of suits being put together over the course of a week or less, and I've also heard of them taking months or longer. It took me almost two months to get my old FX going and then modified up to EIB, and that was the first 501st costume I'd ever worked on.

In a nutshell, FX is good armor to learn on as it's fairly forgiving and durable. Anymore I prefer the more accurate-looking armors, but I don't regret at all starting out with FX.

• 2 months later...

I made the terrible mistake of buying the rubies supreme edition suit before I was directed to this website. Just for anyone else who I might be able to save DONT DO IT!!! Now I am ın a pickle and tryıng to sell thıs pıece of bantha crap on ebay. Whıch kit is the one I want to get now?

Yeah, if you can get your money back that's the best way. If not, Rubies can be made 501st-acceptable with a TON of work. There are a couple of threads here showing how it's done.

If you do decide to start over the best way is to start reading the threads, starting here in the Basic Training section. With time, you'll understand what your needs are and how to get properly equipped.

So how about an introduction over in the New Member Introductions section? :)

• 2 months later...

hey , new guy here , i was reading this and , i was actually hoping before registering that maybe some one here is making these armours

but there is stated everything is on ebay , so my question is now , can anybody point me in the direction of a trusted ebayere that sells quality pieces , i'd like to get a full biker scout outfit from the same seller , thanks in advance

greets jimmymindtricks

Trusted ebay seller. Bit of an oxymoron if you ask me. <_<

Best advice is to avoid ebay, most (if not all) of the reputable sellers can be found on the fan sites such as this one, and you get to save costs by cutting out the middle man.

If you're looking for advice on getting into a high-quality biker scout costume, head on over to the Pathfinders' detachment, http://www.bikerscout.net

Trusted ebay seller. Bit of an oxymoron if you ask me. <_<

Best advice is to avoid ebay, most (if not all) of the reputable sellers can be found on the fan sites such as this one, and you get to save costs by cutting out the middle man.

If you're looking for advice on getting into a high-quality biker scout costume, head on over to the Pathfinders' detachment, http://www.bikerscout.net

Thanks for the info , I have done what you suggested an when to the link I had done this already as my bro stu pm.d me this link over on T.I.G.

But I felt lost in the lay out. So then I came over here . I really been wanting this for a couple of years But never could bring myself to buy one of those sets on eBay not knowing anythi g on how to put it together plus I didn't have time to go to conventions in other countries , btw iam from belgium , but with the latest changes in my life iam planning on livin more for me so I decided to go for it ,

to go on on the subject lol , I whent back in hoping to find and learn what iam looking for , I seem to keep hitting on an error page that tells me iam not alloyed to post or p

Anyone , as I tried to contact one of the admins to interduce my self and ask him if he could point me to the tread topics that I def should see being a total noon in the armour department . But I kept getting the error page saying your not allouwd , IAm registered and my nam is between the online members

now iam wondering if anyone can explain this or tell me what iam doeing wrong

I would also really appriciate if Anyone on here knows a trusted biker scout armour maker and seller

Btw I don't even know at what price tag this comes down , so if anyone can point me to eductionale topics or sites , I would be gratefull

Thanks in advance , jimmy mindtricks

• 4 months later...

I thought a fella on the MEPD boards was selling the FX armor without helmet for $350.00 :unsure:

I realize this is a very old post but does anyone know if this guy still offers this and who he may be? If not could someone PM me a name of someone who may? Looking to get started on my first suit. I have a Klingon suit,cylon armor,now time for Star Wars.

Shane

On 17.9.2010 at 7:51 PM, ripar said:

I realize this is a very old post but does anyone know if this guy still offers this and who he may be? If not could someone PM me a name of someone who may? Looking to get started on my first suit. I have a Klingon suit,cylon armor,now time for Star Wars.

Shane

Hi Shane, I see that this is your first post on the FISD, So welcome :D

FX is no longer being made, only way you find them new now is recast on ebay ( which I strongly say Avoid! ;) ) AM - Armor Master(also know as Tupperware) is the new generation that took FX's place. Also there are many other Armor Kits (at great prices)that can be found by reputable makers like ATA, AP, TM, TE2,and T/MC on the FISD.

Just have a look around a wee bit more and you will find them. ;)

Also you might want to introduce yourself so everyone here can get to know you and welcome ya aboard. Here's the link: New Member Introductions

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a noob to the whole trooping thing, getting ready to put a suit together, still in the research/learning phase, but a worry of mine was the belly issue. I'm built with short legs and a long thick upper body(and have an affinity for home brew and home made italian food)..aaand don't really want to have to listen to my son with his... "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?" Ha! Thanks for the info..!!!

Hi everyone! Im new here and new to the whole costuming thing and was hoping you can help me out? I own a DP Royal Guard and want to go Storm trooper this year. I was hoping you guys could tell me if I could fit a storm trooper outfit, Im about 5'7 145lb. From reading your post Im now worried to by something from ebay ( I was about too till I did some research and ran across your site). Please help Im such a noob at this T_T Oh and can any of you guys/gals give me your opinion on this item here?------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 2 years later...

I am a noob and was looking at another thread "various types of armor and where to find them" and made my own list from that as to what would work for me. I was going to get in touch with AM and ask them if they could make me a complete suit just my size and ready out of the box, when I found this thread. now I don't know what to do. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

well like the others im still new been doing constant research on google since Oct. i plan to build my armor my original plan was to make the molds and the table and then out of no where the trailor court posted a notice that says crafting tables have to be inside or in a shed and since both area's are kinda full. i am also trying to get in touch with my garrison for my area but i am waiting to get approved by someone so i can follow the instructions that the person who run the facebook page gave me.  i have to find cheap affordable armor with helm that can get me into the legion. with the help of dark cmf he suggested that i go with AP armor since i am 5 ft 7in and weight at constant flux of 170 to 175 (weight can change due to hi matabolism) and waist of 33.  the other part of my question is would ATA also work. i dont want to bug to man people for a price quote. i dont need to know the numbers just who is cheaper to get a set of armor with helm i can do all of the other stuff that dont need a vacuum table. thanks for the help and if someone wants to give me a the price comparisson you can pm or email me at shamankid91692@yahoo.com i dont want to cause any problems and have a wonderful holiday season.

Edited by shamankid

• 3 months later...

I noticed this is a old thread, but I'm still in the info gathering stage right now. What would be a good first set of 501st quality armor to start with? I'm also new to the whole costuming thing in general. I have been seeing that the common set is the AMA armor. Would this be something to start with or is there something else out there? I'm decently mechanically inclined and good at assembly.

Thanks in advance and I have registered with my local garrison Cloud City in the PNW. I'm still awaiting approval though.

I noticed this is a old thread, but I'm still in the info gathering stage right now. What would be a good first set of 501st quality armor to start with? I'm also new to the whole costuming thing in general. I have been seeing that the common set is the AMA armor. Would this be something to start with or is there something else out there? I'm decently mechanically inclined and good at assembly.

Thanks in advance and I have registered with my local garrison Cloud City in the PNW. I'm still awaiting approval though.

Hello Rat,

All the Armor vendors that are listed here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/  Are reputable.

Depending on your size, some vendors seem to suit different body style better than others.

I have a ATA kit ... I am 5'7" and 185lbs.

The kit fits very well.

Check out the link i posted above to read up on the different armor vendors.

Some vendors have extended wait times on receiving your kit. In the meantime, most troopers get started on things like BLASTER, acquiring your soft parts IE: Neck Seal, Undersuit, Holster, Gloves, Boots etc .. while waiting for their armor to arrive.

Like I said in your "WELCOME" thread ... Patience is a very good thing to have in this "HOBBY"

:)

Edited by R4ZORBL4DE