It's here It's here!

Looking good - I love my AP but - I have a confession:

I'm the only AP wearer for miles around. I know of only one other guy in AP and I just feel inferior compared to all the FX / RT / SDS /TM guys around. It feels like I'm less shiny, off-white, and the AP's screen-style 'innaccuracies' make me stand out at troops, so it looks lik eI'm in the cheaper-looking suit. :(

Ouch - I see it as the opposite. It's pretty cool to hang out with other armors. We have TE2, AP, RT, and FX in my garrison but it's all good. It's more important IMHO that they have consistent details (like ab plate buttons, belts), than the make of the kit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of us wish we could say we were too skinny. At least you won't need side gap plates. :duim:

Can you tuck the sides of the back plate behind your ab plate and secure with industrial velcro?

I'd try this before trimming. That way, if your metabolism ever slows down, you can just extend out your mid section.

Congrats on the arrival of your new AP kit.

Hmmm, well i don't have a heat gun and it makes me really nervous to think i could disfigure this beautiful piece of plastic with one mistake. I could look into it though, because i bet that's pretty well my only option for a perfect fit.

A guy I know actually curved his AP ab plate by donning welders gloves and holding the plate over a gas cooker ring! Worked fine!

So, i am having a horrible time trying to find any kind of glue to keep my thigh pieces together :( Next to velcro whats the best alternative? My dad was thinking maybe riviting them but i thought that might be a bit too visable from the outside... Anyone have any experiance with this?

So, i am having a horrible time trying to find any kind of glue to keep my thigh pieces together :( Next to velcro whats the best alternative? My dad was thinking maybe riviting them but i thought that might be a bit too visable from the outside... Anyone have any experiance with this?

Don't rivet them!

I think most troops here would agree you have two choices for glue: E6000 and Poly Weld.

E6000 (I've never used it) I hear it takes a long time to cure, but is a very strong bond.

Poly Weld, is great, but you have to rub a bit of sandpaper on the areas where yo uwant to glue, and be VERY careful that it doesn't drip.

I used Poly Weld on my AP, not many mistakes, and firmed thigns up with Cyanoacrylate (crazy glue (USA) or Super-Glue (UK)

So nothing major but i adjusted things around a bit.... have a look! Tell me what i need to do better!

DSC00596.jpg

DSC00600.jpg

DSC00599.jpg

So just from how i feel with it on, i want my upper arm pieces to be higher, forearms to be more snug because they slide and my thighs to stay up higher.

• 2 weeks later...

Soo, since i can't find e6000 anywhere i decided to get it online for a good price!

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.ca/E6000-Glue-Adhesive-18-...A1%7C240%3A1318" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.ca/E6000-Glue-Adhesive-18-...A1%7C240%3A1318</a>

Just curious if anyone knows how much (number of tubes) i'd need to glue arm pieces, thighs, and front of shins?

(went to my first event [didn't troop] and LOVED IT! also i have my gloves and pants and boots on the way soon :) )

Soo, since i can't find e6000 anywhere i decided to get it online for a good price!

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.ca/E6000-Glue-Adhesive-18-...A1%7C240%3A1318" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.ca/E6000-Glue-Adhesive-18-...A1%7C240%3A1318</a>

Just curious if anyone knows how much (number of tubes) i'd need to glue arm pieces, thighs, and front of shins?

(went to my first event [didn't troop] and LOVED IT! also i have my gloves and pants and boots on the way soon :) )

Hmm, that's a pretty small tube there. I would probably recommend two of the 2 fl. oz. size tubes if you're ordering it online. That .18 oz tube will run out before you know it. They come in even bigger sizes then that online as well.

I used a lot of E6000 on my AP. I also used a good bit of the plastic weld as well. The good thing about that E6000 is that it's permanent until you don't want it to be. The plastic weld is just plain old permanent!

I circled where things need to be trimmed. How did this come assembled? :mellow:

Any hoo... darker lenses, and trimming the spots circled will be a good start. Make them look to be like the parts are made for each other.

Bet you don't move to well in that thing yet do ya... ;)

Trimming that up will be a great start to reducing the armor bites. Your thighs are still to low, and spin your Forearm a tad.

Use E6000 for the adhesive, it really is good stuff. Don't worry about the 24 hour curing time, it's worth the wait ;)

Looks like your outer biceps are upside down so you might want to spin them around.

Pull up your thighs too. Use a thin belt inside your armour and use 2" wide black elastic suspenders with a snap on each end. Then glue x2 snaps onto a plastic tab and glue that insde the top of the thighs to allow for some slight adjustment.

Make sure your forearms are strapped to your biceps to keep them in place. Use snaps glued onto tabs and black elastic, works a treat. If you have the shoulder bells, biceps and forearms all strappped together, you can slip the full arm on in one go and connect the top strap using a snap on the strap 'under' the plastic shoulder strap that is connected to your chest and back.

Do all the trimming as suggested by Nate and your kit will and feel much better.

Is it just me or are the eyes a little overtrimmed? They look more ESB than ANH to me. Not sure what you paid for the assembly, but there's still a LOT left to be done on this suit, you might as well have done it all yourself.

Scared about trimming though :S

Don't be, just take your time and be careful. We all had to learn how to do it eventually. Speaking of trimming, I just finished trimming my clone6 armor last weekend. That was a PITA, I'm glad its done.

Ouch - I see it as the opposite. It's pretty cool to hang out with other armors. We have TE2, AP, RT, and FX in my garrison but it's all good. It's more important IMHO that they have consistent details (like ab plate buttons, belts), than the make of the kit.

I'm the only accurate armour trooper in all of the Neon City Garrison, only recently have people been "upgrading" to the MRCE helmets though. Wish there would be more full suit troopers around!

Brad,

I found that the elastic belt that comes with

the AP armor is to stretchy for a good solid wrap.

Consider replacing it with a duckcloth one thats sized for you.

PM member "Gundamzeppelin" .

Plus it's screen accurate!

Well, I think i will be fine once i get the trimming and glue all sorted out. Right now i am just trying to go about finding where and how much to trim off every piece..... A lot harder than i first thought :P Tips definitly are welcomed! Thanks

Alrighty! So I cleaned and ripped off the velcro of most of the pieces that will no longer need it and am sizing things up for a trim. My plan so far is to use E6000 and bond the arm pieces accordingly then take the dremel and shave off little by little so they fit much more like as if they were 1 single piece. I don't have the E6000 yet so i am still in the planning stages till it gets here (thanks again for the info on that :) ) but is this what I am looking to do?:

Take this

DSC00641.jpg

And basically do this (but a better job than crappy paint shows :P )

DSC006412.jpg

Then sand the edges to make everything flush.... good idea? or bad? Is it better to have kind of a sharp incline in the cut line like that or make it more gradual and go farther down?

radude210,

Run into the local Micheal's in Edmonton "they should have one Lethbridge does" and get E6000 there, they sell large tubes of it.

Just ask a clerk, its easier than searching to store for it, and if nothing else they could order it in for you.

Cheers

Hay i glued my armour with plastic weld same stuff plumbers use to glue plastic pipe together, dont know where you are but BnQ do it in the plumbing section would you belive LOL i did try polly cement even if i sanded the plastic fot the glue to grip it didnt realy help with the fixing.Oh get some clips to hold the parts together i made that mistake. Hope it helps and you i was told also by a friend on here that less is more best thing to do is a troop for the day then you will know what digs in and needs trimming.

Nice AP armour though :D

Picked up a big tube of E6000 today for a mere $7!! Looks big enough to do my whole armor unless i am just really bad at eyeballing things :P So if all goes to plan i hope to do some trimming and maybe even get a few pieces glued up! Few questions though.... my gut says to trim then glue, or is it better to glue then cut (may be easier to make it look more flush?). Also I really don't know how much and where to trim those flaws you guys so quicky pointed out, so any help there would be nice. I can post more detailed pictures of each piece if you like too! Thanks!!! You guys are a big help.

~Brad

• 1 month later...

SO!

I have been busy with my new job helping out the 2 IT guys at my dads office and having a blast doing it, but working 2 jobs really does NOT leave a lot of time for hobbies (why is school so expensive....).

Anyway, since i posted last on here i have glued everything i wish to be glued and even trimmed all those nasty looking bits too!

I wanted to thank you guys for all your help and it really is starting to look stunning, there is only 1 last problem i am having where i really just don't know what to do.

I glued the strap pieces that go over your shoulders to the chest and back so they were nice and flush and look really really good.... but now since they are glued in place they hold my chest plate pretty far away from my back and so when you look in the side you can see me and all my skinnyness!

So to fix this big gap my first thought would be to use a heat gun (or since i don't have one maybe a hair dryer at a distance?) and try to heat up and bend these shoulder pieces to make a larger arc so it hugs my body a little closer. If you have any other suggestions or warnings like don't melt your armor with a hair dryer!!! I'd really appreciate it =)

If you need i can get some pictures up when i get home later too