My Rubies TK Supreme ROTJ build/mod[*RB]

JSmails

(8/3/21: Many pictures have been updated since originally being written in 2009. I’ve changed text to align with the newer pics in some spots and have moved all photos from photobucket to Imgur as required to get this WIP out of purgatory. Enjoy the updated WIP!)

This is my story. I hope you enjoy it. All comments/criticism is welcome.

My story is a typical story. I saw a "beautiful" set of LFL licensed TK armor and wanted it. I got a lightly used set off of Ebay for very cheap. I loved it.

I just didn't like the fit that much. To find out how to make it fit better, I did some googling. That is how I came upon the FISD.

Upon reaching here and reading how hated/disliked/inaccurate my armor is, I was shocked. It looks like a stormtrooper to me. And most anyone else. http://forum.whitearmor.net/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

I then read about the differences between the armors. And helmets. When I found out that my armor had its best shot at being ROTJ, and after reading Bernard's thread, I figured I'd give it a shot. IMO, there just isn't any decent way to turn this LFL armor into ANH.

This is a list of what I've done and why. I admit it totally isn't fit yet. I need a new belt to hold up the legs, and I'm STILL trying to find suspenders for the ab and butt plates with ZERO elastic in it.

EDIT: MAR 23rd...

Thanks for the comments etc. Here is my updated suit. It looks a lot like the original pics I posted, of course. Here are the changes:

I changed the frown to rounded on the recommendations.

I added a holster. (thanks Bernard!)

I tightened up the forearms a bit. I tightened up the calves also.

I brought the drop boxes up a little so they are closer to the belt.

And Rubies actually sent me the left thigh, so that is better also.

As always, thanks for any comments and help. I would like to go ROTJ Elite if it is at all possible, so critiques are helpful and necessary!

(EDIT 1/15/15:)

(I have lost all of my old photos.  Former website, former computer, forgot this was here, etc. etc. I will try to keep most of the original writing intact, but I'm taking new photos for the most part.  Pardon the disjointedness.) 

Here is my full photo. Old then new.

This was a Day 1 blurry photo with all Rubies original.

IaAiL9H.jpg

Here is where I ended up.

vDcI0MC.jpg

Here is the holster attached from behind with 2 rivets and the drop box higher than in the original pics.

CrQ6TFm.jpg

Thanks for any comments and help.

Now back to the original post......

OKAY, OKAY, that's not the Rubies helmet. I am modding the Rubies right now, but I doubt it'll ever be as nice as the MRCE you see pictured that I modded. My link to that mod is below if you don't get to the helmet forum very often.

http://whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6033

As you can see, that left thigh looks much better.

You can see the buttons are flipped correctly. Yes, I actually cut into my armor. Here is a closer photo of that:

XO6dUje.jpg

Those are buttons from Vaderdave. 6 black, 3 blue according to my PM's with Bernard and his emails with John who has the original rig featured in the sticky at the top.

It looks okay, especially from a couple feet away. At least it's technically "accurate". Though there are a bunch of wonky setups in the actual film.

Next up is the top half.

XKmfEcG.jpg

UNLIKE most everyone else you see wearing the Rubies, I've modded mine so that you don't have that TON of black under the neck.

I did this by removing the rivets. Then trimming the straps. Then adding new, white, rivets. 

The straps provided with the Rubies don't have the flat part that you'd need for ANH, so ROTJ is a much better fit for them. I may have hiked this up a bit too high, thus pulling my ab plate a bit too high in order to stay under the chest plate. I may "let it out" a rung or two to show a little black under my helmet.

Finally the belt area:

FRrlJzy.jpg

You can see that I changed the drop box straps to white strapping instead of black elastic. I also covered the plastic belt in white canvas (though ROTJ I am learning "may" have been some sort of webbing? Any help where to buy?). I still need to paint the rivets white.

I put white/industrial velcro on the back of the belt and on the backside of the straps. I am going to have to take some "around the world" pics when I get the strapping totally figured out.

Things left to do....

I have an O2 piece on the way from Vactrooper. (THANKS!)
I need to get a holster.

Neither of those two are required in the Elite CRL.

I do need new boots I guess.

Anything else you can spot that I should work up?

I am fairly certain I won't be applying for elite status anytime soon. As I said above, my left thigh is actually just a right thigh without the right knee boxes on it. It can look okay from the front, but it does look a bit wonky from the side as the undercut isn't where it should be.

I have no idea why a previous owner didn't complain to Rubies about this. Especially if he paid full price. I did write them an email, and they said they'd send out a right thigh, no charge. It hasn't come and most likely won't. I have sent out another email, two I believe, asking to follow up on this. No response. What can you do eh?

Another thing that gets me about the Rubies is that in all the pics online that I have seen, the promo pics have the buttons the correct way on the ab plate and the helmet is ROTJ with the black frown and no buggy eyes. I don't know how they went from that, to the suit they sent out.

Correct buttons. Black frown. Non-buggy eyes. What happened? But I digress.....

The button plate flip was the worst mod and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone.

If you do, cut with your hobby knife at a 45* angle. Not 90* up and down. It'll make putting it back in quite easy.

Thanks for looking. Sorry for the long post. Any comments are appreciated.

I'll have more pics once I get the armor back on AFTER I have a dedicated belt that won't slip and some better suspenders that don't creep everything up. Don't hold your breath though. :)

Edited by JSmails

Thats looking great!

I would absolutely love to see this go ROTJ Elite. Be the first one! (Rubies Elite that is)

Drop your belt just a hair lower.

Get the forearms a little higher.

Get some CABoots.

Remedy those side gaps.

That should keep ya busy for a while!

Thats looking great!

I would absolutely love to see this go ROTJ Elite. Be the first one! (Rubies Elite that is)

Drop your belt just a hair lower.

Get the forearms a little higher.

Get some CABoots.

Remedy those side gaps.

That should keep ya busy for a while!

I didn't think ROTJ used CABoots style?

I didn't think ROTJ used CABoots style?

Oh yeah, thats right the ROTJ boots had white soles around the edges didnt they...

Oh well gives me a reason to watch it again.

Additionally I was incorrect on the side gaps too. According to the ROTJ Elite Standards, Side gaps are permissable.

OT: Hey Dont want to detract from this thread so someone can just PM me the answer, cuz it really doesnt warrant its own thread, but was the word "Sith" ever uttered in the original trilogy?

Well done!

Hmm, no, but I think Darth (Dark Lord of the Sith) had its meaning pretty early storywise, but no not mentioned in the films.

Cheers

Edit. I found this:

"The first use of the word "Sith" is in the Star Wars novelization for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, as a title for Darth Vader, the "Dark Lord of the Sith." The word is not used in any of the original Star Wars films. The Sith are introduced on-screen with the prequel film Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace), where the order is represented by Darth Sidious and Darth Maul."

Wiki

You've come along way. The one glaring thing that needs to be modded, is the for arms need to be trimmed smaller but not shorter. Also if i were you, I'd contact Rubies about the thigh anyway, it's their problem to correct.

You've come along way. The one glaring thing that needs to be modded, is the for arms need to be trimmed smaller but not shorter. Also if i were you, I'd contact Rubies about the thigh anyway, it's their problem to correct.

Thanks for the replies!

ST, this is exactly why I posted. To me it looks good. Then I get a better set of eyes, or 3 or 4 or whoever looks at this post, to look at it too and see what they spot.

Now that you mention it, those forearms DO look WAY too big. :) Not length as you say, but too wide around. I don't know what I'll do about that. I'm a bit leery of taking the heat gun to it.

About getting the forearms higher, how do you all do it? Originally they were connected via elastic with the bicep. Is that what I should do? Just so they have some resistance to sliding down when my arms are down. The elastic is still in there, I'd just have to put some industrial velcro on it and in the bicep. Maybe snaps?

Thanks for the advice all.

Those pics would be great Mike! I have a ton of screen caps, but any semi-hi-res closeups would be great. Edited by JSmails

I'm not entirely sold that the biceps need to be higher up. Look at the Tantive raid and in many shots the bicep is flush or thereabouts with the shoulder bells.

About getting the forearms higher, how do you all do it? Originally they were connected via velcro with the bicep. Is that what I should do? Just so they have some resistance to sliding down when my arms are down. The elastic is still in there, I'd just have to put some industrial velcro on it and in the bicep. Maybe snaps?

Normally the forarms are snug enough to stay in place without the strap to the bicep and may need a piece of foam or two if your arms are small. Do the biceps velcro along the side seams? If so, you can trim some of the edges down so they become smaller when closed.

------------

These might help a tad. I think you are on teh right track. That rubies is far better than from the box.

Use the movie to dress from, tweek and trim to. I would only worry about ROTJ though, as for the other movies are to far off of the rubies. Keep up the Good work!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

The belt on that mannequin is definitely webbing. Are those the same kind of boots as seen in ROTJ? I can't tell from the screen caps above. It's hard to see the troopers feet.

Would the Rubies suit above be denied acceptance if he had regular CA Boots?

Would the Rubies suit above be denied acceptance if he had regular CA Boots?

Ultimately that is up to the LMO and the local GML to decide. Personally I believe...

1. The out of the box Rubies is not 501st acceptable.

2. This particular build with a little adjustment and correct boots would be 501st acceptable.

Thanks for the great pics, Mike!

Great captures too Nathan! Believe me, I've been pouring over my own screen caps time and time again.

Notice the trooper 1 up from the bottom in Nathan's post. His ab plate is totally hosed. I think maybe the film negative is reversed, as he's holding his blaster in the right hand. Both of the TK's in the bottom pic are holding it left handed. Half of the TK's are holding left-handed in the pic above that, and I think ALL of the TK's on the death star are holding left handed. So I think the wonked-out trooper in that second to last pic must be a negative flip.

Some of the "stunt" TK's on Endor actually had on a hiking boot of some sort I believe. One of them goes feet up in one stunt and the sole of his boots goes right across the screen. Looks like a hiking boot. Of course, they were in the woods. :)

In the pics of the SE suit Mike posted, the straps are (white) riveted on. But in John's screen ROTJ (the top of the forum) it is clearly white velcro.

One last thing that I have been really worrying over is the placement of the belt. In almost every screen shot, especially in the TK's lined up in the death star when Vader steps out, the top of the belt boxes covers up at least the bottom, offset button.

I "was" going to do that with my belt when I had it unriveted. I was going to move it up just that little bit, essentially moving down the ab-plate, but I really didn't want to cover up one, or even two, of VaderDave's beautiful buttons. :)

Anyone have any idea on the kind of webbing for the belt?

Oh, and when is Lucas going to release the OT on Blu-ray? Just after the end of the useful life of the format, I am guessing, which seems to be his MO.

Edited by JSmails

yes that is a negative flip, ROTJ is chock full of them. What has me boggled is why the helmet-less TB is surrendering with the rebels in the 4th pic down in Nathans post

yes that is a negative flip, ROTJ is chock full of them. What has me boggled is why the helmet-less TB is surrendering with the rebels in the 4th pic down in Nathans post

Hah! Holy crap, you have eagles eyes, Smitty!

I think he was in the middle of layin' down for the rebels when his buddies came to bail 'em out, if I remember correctly.

That one is easy... the helmet less one is the rebel trooper that gets in TB armor. Right after Han taps him on the shoulder, runs around the bunker, you see the TB put his hands up and one Rebel (beard) put down his weapon. Then in the next scene with the door opening, you see the rebel trooper in the back ground behind Han put on the helmet. This is where the Balaclava comes into play on Lancer requirements.

----------

Sorry for the OT.

I notice the belt being smaller, the Butt and kidney being one piece and the back looks smaller.

---------

Far left Trooper... Notice the Blaster... Hmm... The one Han tosses!

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

That one is easy... the helmet less one is the rebel trooper that gets in TB armor. Right after Han taps him on the shoulder, runs around the bunker, you see the TB put his hands up and one Rebel (beard) put down his weapon. Then in the next scene with the door opening, you see the rebel trooper in the back ground behind Han put on the helmet. This is where the Balaclava comes into play on Lancer requirements.

Sorry for the OT.

I notice the belt being smaller, the Butt and kidney being one piece and the back looks smaller.

Far left Trooper... Notice the Blaster... Hmm... The one Han tosses!

Correct on all accounts! :D I've watched every TK scene in the movie, frame by frame, multiple times.

The butt plate is all one piece. And my Rubies back plate is miniscule as you are saying.

From the CRL, the belt is 2.5 inches.

Like an idiot I bought the "full screen" version of the DVDs. I don't even get to see the TK holding Han's blaster. So that is the guy he goes after to flip him?

The TK in the second pic down is where I got the idea to take the drop box strap out from the rivet toward the back of the belt boxes, and then down. Instead of just straight down from the rivet. If you zoom on that pic, you can see that is what is happening.

Unfortunately I eyeballed it wrong and left a bit too much slack as the top of his drop box is actually touching the bottom of his belt. It's really cinched up there. Both TK's in the bottom pick, on the far left, you can see this also.

Great screen shots!

Excellent work Nate! that makes perfect sense. The TB surrendering without the helmet is in fact a rebel in disquise just like Han and Luke in episode 4. Gosh its just amazing, I cant count the number of times I have seen this movie and you can still spot something new EVERY time you watch it.

Excellent work Nate! that makes perfect sense. The TB surrendering without the helmet is in fact a rebel in disquise just like Han and Luke in episode 4. Gosh its just amazing, I cant count the number of times I have seen this movie and you can still spot something new EVERY time you watch it.

Yup. It never ceases to amaze me the new stuff that's found, especially as the video quality gets increasingly better.