1:1 Droideka, yep that what I'm building!

LaunchPad

Matt... you told us at the last meeting that you were doing this... man... i had no idea.. wait... MEETING!!!! CRAP... i missed tonights meeting... man... that really sucks... i was looking forward to being there... anyway... i guess i will see you tomorrow... you can fill me in on what i missed... like the hats... patches... things like that... i cant believe i forgot about it... ok...

this looks fantastic... i cant wait to see it in person...

Matt... you told us at the last meeting that you were doing this... man... i had no idea.. wait... MEETING!!!! CRAP... i missed tonights meeting... man... that really sucks... i was looking forward to being there... anyway... i guess i will see you tomorrow... you can fill me in on what i missed... like the hats... patches... things like that... i cant believe i forgot about it... ok...

this looks fantastic... i cant wait to see it in person...

while on the subject of forgetting things John, don't forget about ALL-CON THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D

Now back to your regularly scheduled droideka build... :P

• 2 months later...

Hey all. Sorry so long for an update, between the wife getting deployed in a few weeks, an early vacation before she goes, the kids, a major add on to the house, I’ve not had a whole lot of time. So here are a few of where I stand as of last week. The first thigh is now attached to the hip joint, as well as some of the mechanical gearing for left to right motion for the one.

100_0652.jpg

100_0654.jpg

100_0657.jpg

100_0656.jpg

A second thigh is already cut and ready to be welded and I have the steel for the third thigh but not cut out yet.

100_0659.jpg

100_0662.jpg

Oohhh Yea, and the first shin and foot are rough cut and starting to take shape!!!!

100_0660.jpg

Remember this is only the skeleton for structural support, cosmetics will come after function.. I can’t wait to show you all this thing moving! One of our members in Australia was working the “Where Science meets Imagination” Show there and he had access to the droid in the first pic!!!! He sent me over 90 detailed and up close pics of every part of the droid!!! Soooo, I’ve had to rework a few of the other pieces… so for those of us that anal and look for detail, the pics I post next week, you should notice a big difference in a number of the parts. That’s all for now and thanks for everyone’s comments!!!! Mathew

DUDE!!!!! I dont know what i enjoy more seeing this project take shape or looking at all your other stuff that appear in the pics, Oragami x-wing very cool!!!!

• 3 months later...

Here’s this few weeks worth of work. The final molds on the legs are waiting on the linear actuators before completion, but the shoulders and skins are starting to take shape. I’ve been working on the feet some, but not much more to show here but this is where I’m at as of now. Starting to look like one now. Huh? Later Mathew

100_0923.jpg

100_0924.jpg

100_0925.jpg

100_0926.jpg

100_0927.jpg

100_0928.jpg

100_0959.jpg

100_0960.jpg

More to follow later.

matthew,

hey bro... when I look at the spine in the original pic

it's following an S curve, almost like 1/2 of a human spine...

each element is segmented, and moves...

from your pics it looks like the spine you're working on is flat.

is that just for the molding process?

Great build by the way..

you're the droideka master!

regards,

vern

matthew,

hey bro... when I look at the spine in the original pic

it's following an S curve, almost like 1/2 of a human spine...

each element is segmented, and moves...

from your pics it looks like the spine you're working on is flat.

is that just for the molding process?

Great build by the way..

you're the droideka master!

regards,

vern

from what i read on the first page the wood was his molding process like the the base

though i wonder how he is gonna pull off the S curve. in my general thinking probably pull the mold in a flexible material and graft it on the probably extensive machinery if that back is to be moving, then again i dont gots too much of the engineering mind

guys thanks for asking. Your correct on the mold process, think car tire rubber for the spine. I have been designing a skeletal insert for bending, think of a very odd shaped bicycle chain with cables on both sides to make tight one side then loosen the opposite at the same time. This slight flex in the spine is only required for the offset of the COG (center of gravity) for when the walking is being programmed with the cpu and gyro. True movement for the offset won't be fully functional until I get the top half built. I think there are a few posts missing in between. I have since completed the gears for the Y movement of all three legs and have started working on welding the first foot. Don't know why I started this, just didn't want another R2 and as far as a 3po, I'll let Japans guys do that. Any way three legs are just as hard as 2. Programming for an extra limb. LOL Later guys. Don't forget it has to be reverse engineered. correct outside, yet still work inside. And I have to make some mods on the spine. Some of the detailing is incorrect. About 35 of the pieces. Yuk

Heres one of the post that got missed.

Sorry so long all for the update. The wife is deployed now and I have had the kids all summer. This is my first attempt at posting with my new Imac. Its very cool but way different than a pc, so I’m getting used to finding stuff. Here are the pics of half of the leg drives installed waiting on bolts to go through the base in the ball. Please note that all hips and legs are finished. I have started on the feet and will be attaching them next, before I can engineer the second half of the drives for the legs I need the feet complete.

100_0801.jpg

100_0874.jpg

100_0873.jpg

100_0877.jpg

Next there are the shield generators with mounts reworked. Look at the old ones compared to these and you’ll see how much I had to do.

100_0750.jpg

100_0757.jpg

100_0745.jpg

100_0752.jpg

100_0751.jpg

Next is a pic showing all three skeletal legs.

100_0876.jpg

Thats it for now. Believe me, thats a ton since my last post. A few more burns from the torch and welder, but nothing serious. After the feet are complete I’ll be working on the molds for the legs while waiting for funds for the actuators for the legs. Thanks for the awesome comments all. This may take forever, but it will get done. Will try to post again soon. Mathew

This is the other post that got missed. Kind of out of order now. Sorry.OK,all, it might not look like much more done, but believe me If I video every little thing that I have done since the last post you would all stop watching after a few minutes. The following pics are where I’m at as of this evening. After two stuck eyes, two air compressors, and tons of sand paper and grinding discs.

100_0593.jpg

100_0592.jpg

100_0594.jpg

100_0595.jpg

100_0596.jpg

100_0597.jpg

One pic I forgot to take is of one of the three steel toes I’ve cut out. Should start to get some excitement out of you all once I finally get one of the skeleton legs moving….Soon…MUHahAhaa. Just kidding. Now Note that one of the steel shoulders is installed. Along with the beginnings of the spine skeleton that will flex as balance is needed. Thanks for all the great comments so far. Keep em comin and I’ll keep up as long as the wife can stand it. Steel takes a whili to cut by hand no torches or nothing. Wish I had a plasma cutter or atleast a torch. Die grinder right now is my friend. Load, but my friend. The 16” disc sander comes in handy too. I’m guessing time line to leg movement within a few months at best. This is project is really my love, literally

• 1 month later...

Ok all here is this months update. The wife is back from Iraq so I’ve been really busy. Spent 400 on the muscles (linear actuators) for the legs. 2 are installed and moving up and down. The third is waiting on more steel for the mods needed to install. All hips move forward and backward for taking steps. Only one leg has a foot right now due to a lack of steel around, maybe money issues too. LOL As soon as I have them somewhat synced together I’ll post a link to a you tube vid. The next step is to finish the feet for the other 2 legs, then actuators for them also. Soon, oh so very soon will I show full movement in all three legs. As it sits in its new cradle, it weighs about 95Lb. Not too bad huh?/

100_0009.jpg

100_0010.jpg

100_0011.jpg

100_0012.jpg

100_0013.jpg

100_0033-1.jpg

100_0034-1.jpg

100_0035-1.jpg

100_0035.jpg

Wish me luck! Later all!! Mathew

Wish me luck! Later all!! Mathew

Luck doesnt have any thing to do with IT!!!! Its talent!!!

have no words for how its taking shape!!!

The whole assembly comes in under a hundred pounds so far?!?

WOW!

I would have guessed much higher.

This is probably one of the coolest projects I've ever seen, on this board, or any other.

So happy to see you're still pluggin' away at it.

This one's definitely a crowd-pleaser.