AP or TE2...please help

I am about ready to purchase my first armor, and it looks like it's between these two. Yes, I have been to the other sites and compared the armor. But I was wondering if someone here has compared these two first hand for authenticity. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the attention to detail and friendliness here at whitearmor.net

I have owned both of the armour you mention and i would say that the TE2 is more accurate as the AP has doubled up parts. But on the other hand the armour parts which are different on the TE2 came from a tour suit. So which is more accurate?

Most armour have their ups and downs, i suggest researcg and make your own mind up which will better suit your needs.

I hope this was of some help to you....

I think there are more factors than screen accuracy. You have the ABS vs. HIPS, and also that they are not perfect substitutions. For instance many parts while looking similar are different, e.g. the dimples in the forearms are deeper and more square than those of AP.

You really can't go wrong either way. Both are reputable vendors who offer quality kits. For instance my personal preference for me is TE2 and I'm 100% on that, however I have garrison members with AP and it looks good too.

If you're looking for "substance" then I would recommend AP Armor.

Since TE2 Armor is made with HIPS, it would naturally have a "lighter" feeling to it.

Also, the AP helmet is smooth while the TE2 helmet is made exclusively with the "infamous" bumpy cap & back.

Be sure to do your homework before you decide one way or another.

Aloha,

T :salute:

The AP helmet is smaller than most other helmets out there. Not by much but enuff to notice when they are side by side with other helmets. I also feel that the eye bump on the AP is a little exxaggerated. Still a beautiful helmet and one I hope to sit next to my TE2 one day.

The AP helmet is smaller than most other helmets out there. Not by much but enuff to notice when they are side by side with other helmets. I also feel that the eye bump on the AP is a little exxaggerated. Still a beautiful helmet and one I hope to sit next to my TE2 one day.

You're absolutely correct amigo!

The AP helmet is a "tad" smaller than the TE2 helmet.

T :salute:

I hear that a lot but this is not borne out by my experience. I have owned an AP and three different TE2s, plus tried on someone else's TE2.

The "smallest" and "largest" where both TE2. IMHO, the "true" difference is less of a factor than how the pull comes out and how it's assembled.

How about durability? Someone told me that HIPS is too fragile for this and that I am better off w/ ABS. Have any of you had problems with your TE2? And if a part breaks will the vendor sell you a replacement part? I kinda get the feeling that these people making these suits are little to busy to be bothered with 1 shin piece or a new left ear. I prefer the TE2, but I would sure hate to break something and then never be able to replace it.

I have not had any issues with my TE2, but I am also not playing football in it either. HIPS comes in many varieties of quality and TE2 uses a good quality plastic that is pretty sturdy. TE2 should stand up to trooping, but certainly won’t take the abuse of ABS armor.

So, if you just want to troop you can easily do this with TE2. If you want to abuse your kit, go with ABS.

Oh – and my garrison mate has a TE2 with full fan/batteries packs/RomFx all in the bucket and it’s held up great over time.

You may also want to take into consideration the ease of assy and painting.

The AP can really be tough to put together on some parts due to missing parts being duplicated from one side to the other. They'll all match up if you're handy with a molding iron. The plus is ABS doesn't require paint as it's already nice and shiny.

The TE2 is made from HIPS so it will need to be primed and painted. From what I understand (and as previously stated) it comes from a more complete set, which would make all the parts go together much easier.

Both armors are considered very screen accurate due to their origins.

I guess your only realistic solution would be to get both! :D

I own a TE2 helmet as well as an AP suit and helmet.

...I know one day I'll want the rest of the TE2 suit to go along with my TE2 bucket.

Hey Guns, do you do lay-away!!! :lol:

I have both. TE2 for the TD, AP for my TK. I believe the TE2 to be a much better suit. It is really easy to put together and the AP takes a bit of work to get certain pieces to align properly. I have put 3 OSCS clones together and would say I'd rather assemble one of those than another AP. The TE2 also fits much better overall, and didn't need to be shimmed on the sides, or anywhere else for that matter.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I would rather assemble 5 AP's than have to paint stuff. ;)

I had a really bad fall on asphalt in my AP, and only ended up with a tiny scratch on a handplate and a tiny crack in my knee plate. I landed with thighs, butt, underarm, bicep and shoulder bell smashed to the ground, and had no scratches at all on those pieces! That's what I call sturdy!

The question is, do you like painting or dremeling best? :D

I'm glad I got AP :) I'm so tiny.

The reason I ordered AP is for the substance. I feel extremely comfortable about the ABS plastic over the HIPS. However, I must admit I had PayPal ready to give away all of my funds for that TE2 Lite suit, haha.

As you can see, TE2 has a LOT of fans. I can't comment specifically on it as I've never seen it up close, but I imagine the sharper detail that comes from the HIPS plastic is a good thing, while the arduous task of painting and priming (make a mistake and you're in for a world of pain) is not so good.

The main TWO reasons I picked AP (it was gonna be FX ) is that its more accurate than FX and it fits smaller people - I'm 5'8" - there are some guys here who are 6' wearing AP too , though.

Of course I have AP. Yes, it was a little tricky to assemble - thighs more so than any other part. Helmet easy. Shins easy. And this is just a personal preference, but I don't like the sound of a bumpy cap. Whether its a genuine screen-used look, the man in the street will think you've messed up your paint job.

My AP doesn't seem to polish up as shiny as some TM or FX suits that I've seen - but then again, I've never used Novus on it, just good ole Mr. Sheen spray polish. Heres a pic - I'm on the right, while the other two are wearing FX armour with (i'm pretty sure) SDS lids. You decide.

--------------

I've just noticed my kit has that faint blueish tint to it. Which is fine, I feel it looks more 1977!

Oh - and look how SPACIOUS my codpiece is :D hahaha!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I'd probably go for a TE2 if I changed my FX for something. But I don't have the build for it, not all the parts at least.

As for painting, this is just my personal opinion, but painting a kit all white can't be THAT hard. I was a bit scared when painting my MRCE lid, but it was easy. And after painting a layered, topically weathered Boba chest armor, I can't see that painting all white is too difficult.

I'd disagree with you there...all white would be much trickier than layered weathered effects. I've built a lot of sets n props over the years.....a Boba Fett would be great fun to paint, but a C3PO or TK -terrifying! :)

I can definitely agree with rapstertee! When I primed/painted by TE2 lid I was pretty scared of imperfections too. The most minor defects scream out on something solid and shiny. Plus, out of all the colors, white seems to be more prone to runs and sags.

But, you know what they call a TK with a bad paint job, right? A TD... he-he-he j/k!!

I'd disagree with you there...all white would be much trickier than layered weathered effects. I've built a lot of sets n props over the years.....a Boba Fett would be great fun to paint, but a C3PO or TK -terrifying! :)

I experienced painting the helmet as easy at least. I guess a lot of it comes down to what techniques and paints you use also. I would never use a rattlecan again after trying airbrush at least. And, if you get runs and droplets with an airbursh, it's probably because you wanted to make them as opposed to when painting with rattlecans. :-)

I've been airbrushing Boba Fett armour for years, and no matter how complex of a paintjob Boba Fett has, a stormtrooper will always be harder. Any blemish on the stormtrooper, you will notice, you have to prime it perfectly, sand it perfectly, coat it perfectly. These things can be ignored on Boba, and even add to the image.

CIMG1471.thumb.jpg.2460c0eeea376aa47de99109891e3df7.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Yeah, but I@m saying that if you want it too look good (stormtrooper that is) I suggest using an airbrush in stead of a rattlecan... It´s easier to get it too look good.

And my experience with painting the white stuff, was that it wasn´t hard, I didn´t find Boba hard either.