Another cheap voice amp

I'll add, that the mic that comes with the SmallTalk does work good, I've tested it with friends listening, they say it sounds great (almost too clean, they tell me), and I also just put a foam tip on the mic, it's a great unit for the price!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a Fry's Electronics near you?

They should have them.

Looks like a connector for a cordless phone battery and those are sold all over the place... Target, WalMart....

You could cannabalize one of them.

Ā 

I checked with frys at my place and they dont particularly have that one =( and i looked at the connectors for cordless phone batteries which are either too large or not the right sizing of hole spaceage

Ā 

tried to see if my super old computer had it and it didnt.... any of ya know the name for it i'm not to savvy on the terms?

tried to see if my super old computer had it and it didnt.... any of ya know the name for it i'm not to savvy on the terms?

Ā 

In looking for a replacement part I came across the name japan solderless connectors/terminals that looked like the part needed. They are pretty cheap but you have to buy them in bulk usually 100s at a time if you just want the connector. I have also seen them used on PC fans that you can get cheap on the big auction site in the sky. The one need for the board is a two pin connection.

I hope the information helps

In reference to the part about cutting down the film cannister and adding them, the plastic will shield the speakers from the mic to eliminate feedback? I have a bad feedback problem with my Skullworx. Just wondering if this would work on it.

Ā 

Sorry for the late reply. Yes. Absolutely no feedback!

OK, I'm lookin all over the place here, need help! What is the best way to wire up the Hovi-Mix speakers, do I take one black and one read from each, and connect right to the two wires on the uniit? Or do I run these in a series (like, run the red wire from the unit, to a red wire on one Hovi-Mix, and then wire the black wire over to the red wire on the other Hovi-Mix, and then the other black wire back over to the green wire on the unit?).

Ā 

Thanks!

Ā 

ps, just been told to do these in parallel! I think I'll be OK!

Ā 

I hooked mine up in parallel. They work just fine. Electronics guys set me straight, I believe hooking them up is series would double the resistance.

I hooked mine up in parallel. They work just fine. Electronics guys set me straight, I believe hooking them up is series would double the resistance.

Ā 

Series doubles the impedance (assuming the two speakers are equal -- the formula is speaker1 + speaker2) and usually results in lower volume. Plus side is the amp doesn't have to work as hard.

Ā 

Parallel halves the impedance (again assuming equal speakers) and usually results in higher volume because the amp has to work harder.

Ā 

As long as you don't exceed the rating of the amp parallel should be just fine.

Series doubles the impedance (assuming the two speakers are equal -- the formula is speaker1 + speaker2) and usually results in lower volume. Plus side is the amp doesn't have to work as hard.

Ā 

Parallel halves the impedance (again assuming equal speakers) and usually results in higher volume because the amp has to work harder.

Ā 

As long as you don't exceed the rating of the amp parallel should be just fine.

Ā 

Thanks for clarifying that Greg.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Medina, sorry, I just did a quick search but couldn't find that amp anymore. They're probably sold out now, or the seller is taking a break, I don't know. Sorry again

Thanks, Smitty!

Ā 

Crazy-- I was searching eBay last night, and found the SmallTalk amp-- on a hunch, I bought it, since it was cheap and kinda resembled what I had seen in the photos. Yay! I made a good guess!

Ā 

The auction listing says there's 14 more available, for anyone that's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ā 

That is the right one, isn't it? (fingers crossed) :P

Thanks, Smitty!

Ā 

Crazy-- I was searching eBay last night, and found the SmallTalk amp-- on a hunch, I bought it, since it was cheap and kinda resembled what I had seen in the photos. Yay! I made a good guess!

Ā 

The auction listing says there's 14 more available, for anyone that's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ā 

That is the right one, isn't it? (fingers crossed) :P

Ā 

Ā 

Same one I bought too (you bought right after I did I guess since there were 15 left after i ordered)

Ā 

Smitty - Thanks for linking me to that seller. I thought about buying as many as I could afford to ensure they went straight to 501st guys, but it seems like that's what they're doing now anyway.

Ā 

Looking forward to getting the wireless kit and cracking them both open to try and make this wireless. *eventually*

FYI,

I bought one of the SEA smalltalk amps a few weeks ago. You have to wire in a female 3.5mm adapter so that you can plug in your microphone. I have tried many different voice amps (6w radio shack, newton, mini-radio shack) and this SEA smalltalk amp was the worst of the bunch. The sound was distorted at high volume and the middle volume was too little to be acceptable. Maybe i did not wire it good enough. i did try another female port from another manufacturer and I had the same results. I was going to use this amp for a jawa chatterbox for my kids costumes. They will not work for me.

Ā 

I do have the email of the guy that sells these. If you contact him directly he will lower the price a few dollars and give you one that has already been opened. If you want the email of the guy PM or email me. I don't think it is right to post someone elses email address without their permission. Plus, i would not encourage anyone to buy this amp. But hey, that is just my opinion.

Ā 

I am working with a supplier who has a 10W amp that is about 4"x3"x 1". I am going test it out. If i like it then i will buy large lot of them and offer them up for sale on the forums. I should have answer back on this in 2 weeks. The cool thing is that it is small enough to install in a chest or back plate and will not need modification to fit. I will make a video of the sound comparison to show everyone.

Ā 

Always my Best,

Jim, TK6294

familyjim72@yahoo.com

FYI,

I bought one of the SEA smalltalk amps a few weeks ago. You have to wire in a female 3.5mm adapter so that you can plug in your microphone. I have tried many different voice amps (6w radio shack, newton, mini-radio shack) and this SEA smalltalk amp was the worst of the bunch. The sound was distorted at high volume and the middle volume was too little to be acceptable. Maybe i did not wire it good enough. i did try another female port from another manufacturer and I had the same results. I was going to use this amp for a jawa chatterbox for my kids costumes. They will not work for me.

Ā 

I do have the email of the guy that sells these. If you contact him directly he will lower the price a few dollars and give you one that has already been opened. If you want the email of the guy PM or email me. I don't think it is right to post someone elses email address without their permission. Plus, i would not encourage anyone to buy this amp. But hey, that is just my opinion.

Ā 

I am working with a supplier who has a 10W amp that is about 4"x3"x 1". I am going test it out. If i like it then i will buy large lot of them and offer them up for sale on the forums. I should have answer back on this in 2 weeks. The cool thing is that it is small enough to install in a chest or back plate and will not need modification to fit. I will make a video of the sound comparison to show everyone.

Ā 

Always my Best,

Jim, TK6294

familyjim72@yahoo.com

Ā 

Ā 

I've gotten mine in and have only tested with the pre-installed mic -- bad feedback at high volume. For the most part though it wasn't bad. I walked to the back of my house and talked and wife could hear me fine. I don't know about the distortion as I couldn't really make out the sound of the amp over my own voice resonating in the helmet. My wife said it sounded as though I was talking normally without the helmet on. Interested to find out if I just got lucky

I've got this speaker system and I'm trying to get the mic/mic cord out of that round piece of plastic that fits into the respirator mask. Can someone tell me how to do this? I can see that the cord was originally pushed through the hole and then the mic was attached, but I'm afraid that if I detach the mic, I won't be able to get it back on correctly so that it works. Right now my current plan of action is to attack the plastic piece until I can break it apart to get the cord out.

If you take the box/case apart the mic wires are pretty easy to detach/reattach and the case goes back together fairly easily.

There are white two pin connectors that are used for both the mic and the speaker to connect them to the board.

Here a picture of what I am talking about. (See the arrow)

pa2.jpg

I am trying to remember how I got the plastic piece off of mine. I think that there is a small piece of plastic that you can pry off that holds the mic in place then I just cut off the round piece of plastic from the mic wires. If you can get it detached from the board,you may be able to pull the wires through. I hope that helps.

I really like this speaker system. It gets nice and loud without feed back. I'm using the mic that it came with and have it behind my chest plate.

Let me know if you have any questions or if this isn't clear.

I got the plastic piece off through sheer effort. I've tried the mic out and it seems like I have to put it very close to my mouth for it to pick up my voice and there is feedback frequently. Does the feedback get better when you put it in your helmet?

Also, I'm using a battery that was loose that I found in the junk drawer and am wondering if that is why the mic isn't doing such a good job. Do fresh batteries make much of a difference?

My set up has the mic on a boom that has the mic resting on my lips. I can get it a little farther away but then too much farther and it doesn't pick up as well. As for feed back, I never really had a problem with it unless I turn it all the way up. I usually turn it up until I start getting a little feed back and then turn down slowly until it's gone. By then it's still at a level where it nice and loud. I also have put a foam wind screen over the mic which seems to help with the feed back. Having the speaker down on the chest plate also helps a lot to reduce feedback.

You could always do a wireless set up if you want it in the helmet. (Smitty's Wireless Wally How To) With the mic in the helmet with a transmitter and the speaker on the chest plate. I thought about doing it. Had the walmart amp set up that way and liked it, except for the lack of volume. Thinking about doing it with smalltalk just haven't got around to it.

DSC_0803.jpg

My set up has the mic on a boom that has the mic resting on my lips. I can get it a little farther away but then too much farther and it doesn't pick up as well.

Ā 

Yeah, this mic just plain sucks! I have to practically be eating the thing for it to pick up my voice. Way too finicky for me. There's got to be a way to get rid of that mic and replace it with a better one. Can anyone suggest a mic that actually works well?