Backs of legs

Hi guys,

I came across this image in another thread:

4xv96QT.jpg

I am planning on cutting my SDS in this fashion to make it easier to walk. I can barely walk with the legs on at the moment. Just to confirm: Since this is a grab from ANH, I would assume this mod be acceptable for Elite status. Would I be correct in thinking this? :)

Cheers! :duim:

Yes trimming out some from the back of the knees is fine. We're not that picky for elite, but don't go too extreme, I've seen a few troopers with half the back of their legs trimmed out.

Yes trimming out some from the back of the knees is fine. We're not that picky for elite, but don't go too extreme, I've seen a few troopers with half the back of their legs trimmed out.

Agreed. If you look at the troopers they cut out just enough black to move. The less black the better.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the best way to connect the back of the thighs? The two halves look as if they are in need of some form of modification and don't want to fit together by design. So, do I have to add shim or trim?

Thanks. :trooper:

Agreed. If you look at the troopers they cut out just enough black to move. The less black the better.

I personally didnt want to cut my sds behind the knee as I dont like the look of it that way. I shimmed my thighs bigger so they could be pulled up to give a little more room at the knee. And then glued them permanently shut with abs similar looking to the front side. My calfs were shimmed aswell a bit and a little off the ancle at the bottom was trimmed off so they couls sit lower again giving more room at the knee.

You want to be able to manage stairs (although its still not that easy) as you will come across them on a troop at some point :)

Great advice. I think I will use a small shim to bring them together. You have some great advice on the ankle cut. I will try that too. After I finish i will post it.

I personally didnt want to cut my sds behind the knee as I dont like the look of it that way. I shimmed my thighs bigger so they could be pulled up to give a little more room at the knee. And then glued them permanently shut with abs similar looking to the front side. My calfs were shimmed aswell a bit and a little off the ancle at the bottom was trimmed off so they couls sit lower again giving more room at the knee.

You want to be able to manage stairs (although its still not that easy) as you will come across them on a troop at some point :)

I found that I had to cut mine out in back as well as shorten the shin pieces by trimming the bottoms. I wear AP which is perfect if you are 5'!11" but being 5'7" I needed to shorten them as well as trim the back top area.

• 2 weeks later...

Are your thighs really that much of a barrel shape? No offense meant at all, but usually there is a taper to the thigh. This is pretty common, and many guys with the FX have this look until trimmed. If you look at the screen grabs, you can see the bottom of the thigh is smaller.

I have mine so I can turn the thigh 108 degree, and slip in on , then rotate after I get my foot in and pull it up. Sort of like a funnel as opposed to a straw. You can then do the mod and cut the bottoms out in a circular pattern.

Here is a shot of the back of my thighs in my FX.

95hx7bD.jpg

You can see how the bottoms are smaller than the top. This kit has seen MANY changes since 2007 when these pics were made, but it is the best shot of the thighs I have.

Hope this helps.

I know, it is hard for me to make that look with these legs of mine. I am in the Army and the running and rucking and walking with the body armor make my legs like tree trunks...lol They are one size all the way down pretty much. However, do you think I could get past the elite standard with those thighs the way they are? :6:

• 6 months later...

I bought some ABS sheets, cut them to size, and then softened them a bit with a heat gun to get the curve. They are velcroed onto my armor.

When I take my armor out of it's tote, I grab the suspenders. Attached to these are the front/ab, which is cut at the cod section and held by velcro to be flexible. On the back of the suspenders, are the kidney and butt. I never remove the side ab from the kidney, that way the velcro doesn't wear out as quickly.

I pull the susps over my head, snap the butt/cod underneath, then fasten the ab sides to velcro inside the front ab.

I also have elastic which connects the butt ( at the sides ) to the front ab. It keeps the butt snug and the proper shape.

Some guys use fabric in roughly the same way. At some point I will lose enough weight to get rid of the sides !

I find that the sides being tight also helps my posture too. Like a plastic corset I guess.

Thanks brother. Is there anyting out there good for connecting the waist (sides) to meet elite standards? :trooper:

Just read this thread. Can I just check that I've understood the origional response correcly before I take the knofe to my armour and make a HUGE mess. :rolleyes:

It is acceptable to remove 'some' plastic from the tops of the calves at the back to aid mobility?

Cheers folks.