Playing the Part

Ph1l2007

I am planning on attending a local con soon and I have spent months getting together my armor. I put a whole lot of time and money putting this costume together, and several people have told me how great they think it is. Now the task ahead of me is preparing to actually "play the part".

The thing is, I really want to do an exceptional job acting. I want to make sure everything I say to people fits within the context of my character (I mean, I want to create a whole story about why I am even at the convention). It will take a lot of work though. For instance, I plan on studying my Star Wars dictionaries and encyclopedias to be able to answer questions people may have about the Empire, battles we fought in, etc...I also need to come up with a convincing story for my character. I'm pretty sure this will all be worth it - I just wanted to get some help from you guys to make it easier!

So, what kinds of things do you do / say specifically to make your appearance as a trooper even more convincing? For one, what would a trooper be doing on planet earth? I am thinking of telling people something like:

"I am stationed here as a part of the Empire's IRO program - Intergalactic Reconnaissance Operation - an effort to investigate potential threats to galactic security".

Tell me if any of you have come up with something better ;)

And I'm sorry if this topic has been raised before - I'm kind of new :/

I usually make up funny stories. I usually don't go into "trooper mode" unless their is a kids around and then its all business. :):trooper:

I like to quote lines from ANH. "Move along", and "How long have you had these <insert applicable object>?" are my favorites and they always gets a reaction. ^_^

Just remember, if anyone asks where to get armor or how much it costs the answer is "it's standard imperial issued armor". :D

LOL I always say that to people.

I do alot of staring at folks like I know they are up to no good. I then usually bark "move along" or the how long have you had...I like to stand guard at door ways, point at people etc. I always wave at the kids, babies included and usually holster my weapon when interacting with children.

folks also like to see troopers doing things that normal people do because it's comical. One time I push my middle son around in his stroller, alot of folks took photos.

My personal favorite is to point at my eyes with both fingers, and then at the kid with my index finger ("I'm watching you). It's great when the kid flips out, and even better when the parental unit sees me do it. Then they become part of the mayhem, teasing the kid about how I'm gonna 'get' him/her.

That is an excellant answer to questions concerning armor. As a matter of fact I will use that answer next time I am trooping. :trooper:

Just remember, if anyone asks where to get armor or how much it costs the answer is "it's standard imperial issued armor". :D

A favourite of mine is to "confiscate" hats and such items. Especially lightsabers! "that's a illegal weapon sir!" I also like to "sneak up on people who stand off and watch the fun from a distance. Scares the bejeezus out of em.

Anyone in a hooded top immediately becomes a jedi suspect and treated accordingly :P

Bag inspections are always good fun too, accompanied with the usual "you're cleared to procede, move along!"

The armor question happens a heck of a lot, "it's imperial issue" works wonders. I've also been asked where I'm from a couple of times, to which I answered "a galaxy far, far away" raises a smile :D

High fives and handshakes are good for engaging nervous kids

Another thing to do with the photo op's is to inspect the photo taken and give or deny clearance

Just have fun with it dude, you can't script to much, it's crowd interaction that makes a troop and most of the time you just have to think on your feet. Just stay in TK character and roll with it

If people ask if they can take a picture with you, do you guys ever say things like "You're not affiliated with the rebellion are you?" :P

I haven't, but I'm gonna start now! Lol... that's a great idea! Thanks!

For me it depends on the venue. Some are pretty relaxed and you can joke, etc. Others are more straight-laced and I try to keep in character and show some 'tude.