Interesting article about plastic discoloration

MikeTK1536

I read that same article a while back, Mike. It prompted to me to post a topic about using Clear Coat on ABS.

I've been thinkin' about setting my armor up on a Mannequin at work for a while now, but I read this kinda thing, and I get all paranoid and put it back in the nice, dark rubbermaid tub when I'm not wearin' it. Then again, I doubt the fluorescent lighting in the office gives off a whole lot of UV Rays... hence my chalky, pasty, computer tan. I believe the technical term is "Fish Belly White". :D

are made with a plastic containing flame-retardant chemicals to meet safety guidelines. Over time, the plastic will age and discolor both because of these chemicals as well as from the normal heat generated from the product or exposure to light

Having worked in the plastics industry for a few years I can confirm this as the cause. We had one batch of plastic fascias sent out from the company I used to work for that went from bright white to yellow in 9 DAYS due to the wrong amount of UV mix being added during production!!

The exact blend of a plastic can vary from batch to batch, hence why some can last for an age with very litle discoloration and some can yellow very quickly indeed.

• 1 month later...

There IS a fix for this...

My old RT TK bucket had severe yellowing from exposure to sunlight.

I had three options;

1: Replace it with a new one.

2: Paint it.

3: Find some way to reverse or remove the yellowing.

Option 1 was something that I was looking at for a long time but I found that getting hold of a good MR LE or EFX bucket is extremely difficult and pricey.

Option 2 was looking like my next best option - but the paint-matching/priming and masking was something that I didn't really want to stuff around with.

So - Option 3...

Yellowing of plastic is caused by prolonged exposure to sunlight, the UV reacts chemically with the materials in the plastic and can not be removed with any commercially available product.

I did a bit of Google research before coming upon this site---------------

Developed by computer boffins & chemical engineers who were trying to find a way to whiten retro PC cases, monitors & keyboards, it uses simple, easy to find ingredients to reverse the yellowing process in plastics, particularly ABS.

It won't fade or lift stickers or decals and it doesn't adversely affect the surface area of the plastic by corrosion.

Costs & sources were;

Hi-Lift Peroxide (one litre from Hairdresser supplies shop) - $10.00

Sard Oxy Plus (1kg From Supermarket) - $5.95

Glycerine (100 ml Chemists Warehouse) $5.50

Xantham Gum (From Health Food Shop) $5.50

I am happy to say that in just a few hours in the sun my bucket is now as shiny white as the day it was assembled.

So, if you have anything plastic that has been yellowed or faded by the sun, I can recommend giving this a try - it actually works!

Cheers,

b

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

TK-4611 said:
There IS a fix for this...

Yellowing of plastic is caused by prolonged exposure to sunlight, the UV reacts chemically with the materials in the plastic and can not be removed with any commercially available product.

I did a bit of Google research before coming upon this site ---------------

Developed by computer boffins & chemical engineers who were trying to find a way to whiten retro PC cases, monitors & keyboards, it uses simple, easy to find ingredients to reverse the yellowing process in plastics, particularly ABS.

It won't fade or lift stickers or decals and it doesn't adversely affect the surface area of the plastic by corrosion.

Costs & sources were;

Hi-Lift Peroxide (one litre from Hairdresser supplies shop) - $10.00

Sard Oxy Plus (1kg From Supermarket) - $5.95

Glycerine (100 ml Chemists Warehouse) $5.50

Xantham Gum (From Health Food Shop) $5.50

I am happy to say that in just a few hours in the sun my bucket is now as shiny white as the day it was assembled.

So, if you have anything plastic that has been yellowed or faded by the sun, I can recommend giving this a try - it actually works!

Cheers,

b

Perhaps this should be in the Tip's & how too Section with several pic's of it being done on a TK lid with the before , the method & after shots? or risk fading into the "have to search for" section :huh:

I'm sure there a couple of troopers here who would like to refresh their Old yellowing lid.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021