TK3202

Who's armor is this?

I don't want armor names flying around if it's not allowed, so maybe just initials. The bucket looks good on this, but some of the armor parts look a bit...warped. I'm not in the market for armor or anything, though for 500 bucks I was just wondering if this was a recast or something..

http://cgi.ebay.com/VT-Stormtrooper-Armor-...93%3A1|294%3A50

oh boy *trys to grab can of worms out of Darryl's hands!!*

too late ;P

I recognise the seller name. I heard he's a recaster. right - 1st whose is it? I would say VT, in fact link says it is and the venodor himself has said it is as well.

is it recast? personally I would say yes from my readings. but like so much else in this hobby, its kinda muddy abt who did wot to whom; and u are gonna have to make ur own decision abt it.

I would say FX, TE2, AP, RT-Mod (dont flame me abt this as well pls) and TM are the recongised armours available now.

Nate

Getting OT here...

I don't think anyone in their right mind would part with SDS armour for that kind of money, but you never know.

If I was doing it again. I'd have a TE2 bucket with AP armour. ;)

VT is a recaster. Ive never been a big fan of his helmets. ABS60 is awful thin for armor IMO. Usually tho his full suits and helmets together are made of a thicker ABS. But if you buy a VT helmet by itself you can expect it to be thin.

Anybody looking for excellent armor really should look no further than the FISD and the reputable armorers that reside here.

Of course, yea I got my armor from the 501st and it's the only place I would ever get it...I just was looking for props and I saw this pop up. I figured I didn't recognize the ebay name as anything that sounded like a known seller, so I figured it was a recast or something. Was just curious. You know some guy is going to buy this though not knowing any better and being sucked into the cheap price.

It's a shame. Being a graphic designer, I know how it feels to have your work duplicated and used without being paid for YOUR work. I'm not saying the armorers CREATED the stormtrooper look, but they did make the molds so that all of us could have armor. But yea, it's all really just that.. art. Yes it's armor, but this stuff is all art at the end of the day. It really does bother me how people recast to make a profit on someone else's hard work and dedication. We lose so many armorers that way...

heh i scour ebay too - just interested in wot comes up from time to time. I do it like a sport - spot the recast, try to decipher wot armour they used as a base, send seller a few probing emails.

think its fair to say that FISD and other similiar sites are here to do just that Darryl - the only real way to beat the recaster is going to be education education education aint it.

this is my last post on this thread - lesson learnt, armour and recasted identified.

Move along.... this is not the thread u are lookin for :D

Nate

beside teh recaster thing

had a VT armor and helmet in hands

it was not as thin as described

the place where mic tips are mounted are good and the bottom line isn´t realy thin

whole armor looks like AP

i would say much better than an FX recast :lol:

Like i said Mario, if you get the helmet and armor together, they are made out of thicker materials. But VT's lone helmets are made out of 60 guage. I know ABS is a lil tougher than HIPS but still 60 is just too thin for a helmet IMO.

I think .060 is perfect for helmets. The thicker guage means less definition, and the real helmets and armour look to be made from .040 judging by some of the photos I have seen. The problem with replica helmets and armour is that they are made from the wrong type of material. I have made .060 ABS helmets and they are perfect for trooping. The secret is using the correct grade of ABS, something that can be bent over on itself without cracking. Just a FYI :)

I'll totally take your word for it Paul. But still 60 seems awful thin. And 40? How would you pull with 40 without ripping holes in the hovi wells? Guess thats why I dont own a vac table LoL

I'll take Paul's word for it as well (as they say in Texas "if you've done it, it ain't braggin"). Perhaps we as hobbiests have it all wrong - we keep looking for thicker armor but perhaps we're moving in the wrong direction. I remember having 60 JavaMonkey clone armor. Actually it did quite well but it was hard getting used to something with such flex.

I used to think the same thing until I tried different plastics. I can now make my one piece abdomin plate bend so much that I can touch my toes, something I doubt any replica armour can do. That is using .060 guage and it is still too rigid for my liking. I will be testing some .040 soon and I am pretty sure my suits will flex just like the originals. That is my goal at the end of the day, to try and reproduce screen accurate ANH armour.