Warning about commercially available Stormtrooper Armor

Totally agree.

I can't wait to see my armour beside someone else's at a 501 event. The comparison pics I've found online don't seem to show that much difference, if any at all.

I want to see the quality of the molding, sharpness of casting, etc.

It may be splitting hairs (and I ABSOLUETLEY LOVE STRIRRING THE POT!!!!) , but I do find it funny how people say that certain armour is not screen accurate, but theirs is. Then you find that their armour has added straps and buckles on the inside to make it fit better. They've added a helmet suspension system inside to make it more comfy, as well as comm boxes, micro phones, screen mesh behind the teeth, black fabric gloves instead of rubber, on and on and on...

None of that was on the screen. My little dastardly soap box 2 cents.

I'll be doing an unboxing review with a ton of pics this weekend.

I'm just deciding whether I should do a Youtube video of the unboxing. Never done one before.

I'll have to source new ear caps. Hopefully not too hard to find.

Things like the complete plastic belt (if it is still that way as I haven't opened the box) will be an easy fix.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my local Garrison to see what they require.

Hi Dave,

As per one of my earlier posts, were not here to bash certain armour kits. When prospective TKs ask for advise on kits, we try to steer them to the most accurate kits within certain price brackets. As a few have said, sadly SDS tend to be higher price for lesser quality. However, now that you have bought the kit, and are happy with it, try to enjoy the ride. Don’t dwell on things you’ve read on the forum. :-)

In all honesty, many of us that have been passionate, or borderline obsessive, with the original trilogy stormtroopers for some time could list and show the issues with each and every kit available, including, and specifically, SDS, however, you’ve bought it now so it would be unkind of us to do so. As you said you can’t see the differences, us highlighting them would only tarnish your view of your kit. All we can do is try to help you with your build, if you would like us to.

Regarding the forum, you and Frank have a point to a degree. However, forums are full of content but we don’t all have to read it. If a thread has lots of ‘to and fro’ just do as the sandtroopers suggest and “move along”. Lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Helotech said:

Totally agree.

I can't wait to see my armour beside someone else's at a 501 event. The comparison pics I've found online don't seem to show that much difference, if any at all.

I want to see the quality of the molding, sharpness of casting, etc.

It may be splitting hairs (and I ABSOLUETLEY LOVE STRIRRING THE POT!!!!) , but I do find it funny how people say that certain armour is not screen accurate, but theirs is. Then you find that their armour has added straps and buckles on the inside to make it fit better. They've added a helmet suspension system inside to make it more comfy, as well as comm boxes, micro phones, screen mesh behind the teeth, black fabric gloves instead of rubber, on and on and on...

None of that was on the screen. My little dastardly soap box 2 cents.

I'll be doing an unboxing review with a ton of pics this weekend.

I'm just deciding whether I should do a Youtube video of the unboxing. Never done one before.

I'll have to source new ear caps. Hopefully not too hard to find.

Things like the complete plastic belt (if it is still that way as I haven't opened the box) will be an easy fix.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my local Garrison to see what they require.

The 501st only takes the accuracy on the outside of the Stormtrooper, not the inside.

Only visible details and straps are put into the CRL, and slightly idealized to make joining an easier process.

When people regard accuracy, most of the time they base it off of the projected view of their stormtrooper.

That is one of the reasons there are different levels of approval, so people can build to the level of accuracy they wish to achieve and represent.

Some examples of screen accurate things that are not typically common on 501st troopers are things like the rubber chemical gloves and brackets connecting the torso. Gloves are required for EIB and Centurion because they are visible on screen troopers, but not all Centurion troopers wear rubber gloves on troops because they are hot and impractical. Brackets are used by people who want thorough screen accuracy, but they aren't long term straps or durable so they aren't needed because they are not seen.

When people regard the accuracy of the armor, they are usually talking about the armor. This is usually about accuracy in terms of dimensions in comparison to on screen armor, as well as the overall shape and appearance. So the most screen accurate armor would be smaller, as it was sized for mini british extras, but also retains a very similar appearance to the armkr on screen. Some armors are bigger, but are very similar in terms of shape, so they are still seen as accurate, just not as accurate.

17 hours ago, PhilBobTheFish said:

So the most screen accurate armor would be smaller, as it was sized for mini british extras,

Not really, Harrison Ford is not considered ”mini” and he fit just fine in that armor, I’m 5’10 and 205 lbs and fit RS/TM/Anovos armor without shims or bigger coverstrips. 

So, there are ”sized up armor” out there but you don’t have to be ”mini” to get armor with screen lineage if that’s your preference :salute:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Not really, Harrison Ford is not considered ”mini” and he fit just fine in that armor, I’m 5’10 and 205 lbs and fit RS/TM/Anovos armor without shims or bigger coverstrips. 

So, there are ”sized up armor” out there but you don’t have to be ”mini” to get armor with screen lineage if that’s your preference :salute:

Even when I typed "mini", I was just thinking, "This is an exaggeration and is gonna be taken the wrong way. Oh well." 

I agree with everything you said.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone.

I have a pic of me in my armour, but can't upload it cause of file size...

I seriously thank all of you for taking the time to answer, and I hopefully I don't come across as bashing or demeaning to anyone. I like having honest and frank discussions with people, and it is difficult doing it through forum posts. The forums are great but become a serious information overload.

I guess part of my frustration is the fact that possible problems with the armour I chose were my own doing. I've been wanting to join the 501st for years, and finally had the $ and wife's very enthusiastic approval to start the ball rolling. It is hard when you think you researched something to death, only to realize you possibly dumped a ton of cash on something that may not get approved. I really don't want the hassle of shipping everything back, so will live with and improve on what I have.

Right now I'm torn between trying to do screen accuracy and go for Centurion in the future, or keeping the armour like I want it and staying basic. I actually like the armour with all black strapping, and no rivets on the side. I also don't like the rubber on the back of the gloves and prefer the ABS. Looks a little more sleek.

If I set aside all the lawsuit stuff, I thought I had picked a good armour in the SDS offering. As I stated in earlier posts, once you go through the hundredth page about armour builds, everything blended into one and I just bought something where I could open a box and put it on.

I recently did unboxing video reviews of everything I received. With the help of my talented niece, I am editing the vids and will be posting on Youtube within a month or so.

I saw a notification that the CRL's had recently changed. I can't open the link though as I don't have access for some reason. Is there a way to see these?

I'm not sure if there is an all encompassing list of things to do with the SD armour, but so far I have seen the following by looking at my set:

1. Hero helmet :

- Seems accurate for hero helmet in every way, except it has 4 ear bumps. This precludes me from going Centurion. This may be a hard fix so I won't  go through the trouble unless I can source complete new ear pieces.

- I've painted the inside black and am attempting to fit in all the various electronics. Added to this is the fact I am attempting to scratch build all the components that are displayed in famous cut away pics of what a "real" Stormtrroper helmets would have. I like the looks and feel of it instead of keeping it purist movie quality

2. Armour overall:

- Very good mouldings (in my mind) Crisp details from what I can tell

- I believe all the open ends of armour are rounded over slightly. I think this is not accurate for Centurion, but okay for basic builds?

- Abdomen button panels have correct colours and are separate pieces glued on.

- I've read posts saying this is a mish-mash of armour from all movies, but not exactly sure what the issue is. From ANH screen grabs, this looks accurate.

- Everything is held together with black elastic and Velcro, 1.5 or 2" wide. Pile is on the armour, and the hook Velcro is sewn to each end of the elastic. This is good to accommodate various sized people.

- Until I start adding snaps, I will need to add additional pile Velcro in select areas to aid in fitting my body style (5' 10.5", and 190lb)

- No rivets or snaps on either right or left side of abdomen / kidney armour.

- Shoulder belles and bicep armour is held together with drop down black 3/4 ish elastic and snaps

- Front / back armour has black elastic joining them at the shoulders. This is an easy swap for white straps if requires, but I actually prefer the black

- Cod piece is attached with elastic and  to posterior piece. One snap each end of elastic. Additional snap would be needed

- Shoulder ribbed armour is attached on both ends with white Velcro to chest and back armour. Easy to glue front down, and tie down the rear end with white elastic band as per movies

3. Belt:

- Sort of a let down. Came as a complete ABS belt, front attached to the wrap around back. Wrap around back portion has very strong secure Velcro. There is only a small tab of white velcro on back of front  of belt to attach to a small Velcro piece on abdomen and is meant to stop the belt from sliding down. The front ammo bump belt is attached to the back wrap around part, but not sure how. I ordered and received a white fabric belt and should be is a fairly easy mod.

- The drop boxes are made of a smaller inner box sitting inside the larger outer. It is attached to belt with 3/4 " white pile Velcro strip. Easy enough to source white strapping to let them hang.

4. Holster:

- Nice quality, black leather. Has black belt loops a-la ESB or ROTJ. I just have to source some small strips of plain brown leather and will attach it to back of belt with rivets

5. E11 Blaster

- I thought it was okay, but after reading posts I now think the SDS is overpriced for what you get. HOWEVER,  some people were describing big issues with the casting and moulding of the gun (which I agree with. It is rough in places) but the alternatives they listed also look rough in places. Blaster does not have sling loop at back. Easy to add one.

I'll try to post more info in a bit

27 minutes ago, Helotech said:

Hey Dave, try uploading it to a site like imgur.com then posting a link here!  If possible, starting up a build thread with specific questions, your progress, etc will go a long way to keeping focused and hands on discussion :)  Something in this section here:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

The SDS armor has some drawbacks to it in terms of accuracy, and some stuff (such as the mentioned ear bumps for a hero variant) may need to be adjusted for Centurion level stuff, but you should have no problems getting it to a 501st approvable level if built correctly.  

I'd also suggest you reach out to your local garrison as a recruit and let them know you're working on a Stormtrooper.  Often there are build parties where you can get hands on help and ask questions; you may even have a local attache to give Stormtrooper specific knowledge in depth :)

Hey everyone.

I seriously thank all of you for taking the time to answer, and I hopefully I don't come across as bashing or demeaning to anyone. I like having honest and frank discussions with people, and it is difficult doing it through forum posts. The forums are great but become a serious information overload.

I guess part of my frustration is the fact that possible problems with the armour I chose were my own doing. I've been wanting to join the 501st for years, and finally had the $ and wife's very enthusiastic approval to start the ball rolling. It is hard when you think you researched something to death, only to realize you possibly dumped a ton of cash on something that may not get approved. I really don't want the hassle of shipping everything back, so will live with and improve on what I have.

Right now I'm torn between trying to do screen accuracy and go for Centurion in the future, or keeping the armour like I want it and staying basic. I actually like the armour with all black strapping, and no rivets on the side. I also don't like the rubber on the back of the gloves and prefer the ABS. Looks a little more sleek.

If I set aside all the lawsuit stuff, I thought I had picked a good armour in the SDS offering. As I stated in earlier posts, once you go through the hundredth page about armour builds, everything blended into one and I just bought something where I could open a box and put it on.

I recently did unboxing video reviews of everything I received. With the help of my talented niece, I am editing the vids and will be posting on Youtube within a month or so.

I saw a notification that the CRL's had recently changed. I can't open the link though as I don't have access for some reason. Is there a way to see these?

I'm not sure if there is an all encompassing list of things to do with the SD armour, but so far I have seen the following by looking at my set:

1. Hero helmet :
     - Seems accurate for hero helmet in every way, except it has 4 ear bumps. This precludes me from going Centurion. This may be a hard fix so I won't  go through the trouble unless I can source complete new ear pieces.
     - I've painted the inside black and am attempting to fit in all the various electronics. Added to this is the fact I am attempting to scratch build all the components that are displayed in famous cut away pics of what a "real" Stormtrroper helmets would have. I like the looks and feel of it instead of keeping it purist movie quality
2. Armour overall:
     - Very good mouldings (in my mind) Crisp details from what I can tell
    - I believe all the open ends of armour are rounded over slightly. I think this is not accurate for Centurion, but okay for basic builds?
     - Abdomen button panels have correct colours and are separate pieces glued on.
     - I've read posts saying this is a mish-mash of armour from all movies, but not exactly sure what the issue is. From ANH screen grabs, this looks accurate.
    - Everything is held together with black elastic and Velcro, 1.5 or 2" wide. Pile is on the armour, and the hook Velcro is sewn to each end of the elastic. This is good to accommodate various sized people.
    - Until I start adding snaps, I will need to add additional pile Velcro in select areas to aid in fitting my body style (5' 10.5", and 190lb)
    - No rivets or snaps on either right or left side of abdomen / kidney armour.
    - Shoulder belles and bicep armour is held together with drop down black 3/4 ish elastic and snaps
    - Front / back armour has black elastic joining them at the shoulders. This is an easy swap for white straps if requires, but I actually prefer the black
    - Cod piece is attached with elastic and  to posterior piece. One snap each end of elastic. Additional snap would be needed
    - Shoulder ribbed armour is attached on both ends with white Velcro to chest and back armour. Easy to glue front down, and tie down the rear end with white elastic band as per movies
  3. Belt:
    - Sort of a let down. Came as a complete ABS belt, front attached to the wrap around back. Wrap around back portion has very strong secure Velcro. There is only a small tab of white velcro on back of front  of belt to attach to a small Velcro piece on abdomen and is meant to stop the belt from sliding down. The front ammo bump belt is attached to the back wrap around part, but not sure how. I ordered and received a white fabric belt and should be is a fairly easy mod.
    - The drop boxes are made of a smaller inner box sitting inside the larger outer. It is attached to belt with 3/4 " white pile Velcro strip. Easy enough to source white strapping to let them hang.
4. Holster:
    - Nice quality, black leather. Has black belt loops a-la ESB or ROTJ. I just have to source some small strips of plain brown leather and will attach it to back of belt with rivets
5. E11 Blaster
    - I thought it was okay, but after reading posts I now think the SDS is overpriced for what you get. HOWEVER,  some people were describing big issues with the casting and moulding of the gun (which I agree with. It is rough in places) but the alternatives they listed also look rough in places. Blaster does not have sling loop at back. Easy to add one.

I'll try to post more info in a bit

are you approved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:12 PM, Alay said:

Hey Dave, try uploading it to a site like imgur.com then posting a link here!  If possible, starting up a build thread with specific questions, your progress, etc will go a long way to keeping focused and hands on discussion :)  Something in this section here:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

The SDS armor has some drawbacks to it in terms of accuracy, and some stuff (such as the mentioned ear bumps for a hero variant) may need to be adjusted for Centurion level stuff, but you should have no problems getting it to a 501st approvable level if built correctly.  

I'd also suggest you reach out to your local garrison as a recruit and let them know you're working on a Stormtrooper.  Often there are build parties where you can get hands on help and ask questions; you may even have a local attache to give Stormtrooper specific knowledge in depth :)

91GALRU.jpg

Basic pic of me.

This is the first time in my armour so it isn't  fitted exactly.

Through more digging on forums (grrrr....) I've found more detail about the issues I mentioned earlier. Like I said, most are easy fixes.

PhilBobTheFish,

I am happy with the look overall and love the armour. Just one of the little buyers remorse issues. Hey, I have a TK armour and what kid wouldn't be happy!? 

Allay,

Thanks for the reminder of my imgur account. Didn't even think of that. I also will start a build thread. Once again, time has been an issue.

Frank 75139,

I haven't had the chance to apply yet due to family commitments and battling a wicked cold for a while.

Project was put on hold.

I am starting up again this weekend doing some adjustments to straps and modifications of the most glaring errors.

• Like 2